HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
21 Posts
Discussion
Airfoils selection for blended wing

Hi guys.
Need your advice about an airfoils selection and aerodynamics analysis.
I try to design the blended wing like on the photo but I am not sure what airfoils to chose to make it fly good. I understand that they should be S-foils with around zero or positive pitching moment but how to understand more detail or simulate in XFLR. Maybe some kind person help me with XFLR analysis

Some requirements:
Wingspan ~1.8m, weight ~5.5kg. I want to fly @90-100km/h as cruise, have a landing speed as minimum as possible, no aerobatic just good, stable airframe, also stable in windy weather.
Airfoils at the root and tip of the wing I presume around 13% and middle at the fuselage I want ~15% to get some volume inside.

In general, is this top-view shape is good/not bad or you see some poor design?
jetigm is offline Find More Posts by jetigm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2014, 06:23 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Wingspan ~1.8m, weight ~5.5kg. I want to fly @90-100km/h as cruise, have a landing speed as minimum as possible, no aerobatic just good, stable airframe, also stable in windy weather.
Airfoils at the root and tip of the wing I presume around 13% and middle at the fuselage I want ~15% to get some volume inside.
The design is certainly pleasing to my eye in planform, but a roughly 1 meter length root chord at 15% thickness in section will be a lot of drag to overcome.

Since this is to be a powered model, unless you're striving for maximum efficiency, I'd just use your favorite symmetrical section and change the outer panels to full span control surfaces. The trimmed position of the control surfaces in flight will create a positive pitching moment similar to the specialized plank airfoils.

Good Luck!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56