HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
I’ve been following this thread with great interest as I am like Stephen73 in that I prefer scale models. I too am looking into getting into turbines. The advice I received from the 2 jet flyins I’ve attended suggest the same approach as has been mentioned here, basically start with a twin boom bird. Still, I can’t get “scale” out of my head. While I haven’t made a purchase yet, in the end I think I will go for my desires. I guess this makes me hardheaded but oh well.
I’ve examined what available and here’s my thoughts:
A single engine
Wide track LG
Moderate slow speed capabilities
No to limited tip stall tendencies
Reasonable cost (for scale jet)
Scale

I’ve considered the following:
F-15 – One of my favorites, meets all requirements but the narrow LG
F-18 – I seems all F-18s are forgiving, ( at least the EDFs I’ve flown), has that nice trailing link main gear for grass fields but again, the narrow LG is a problem.
SU-27/SU-35 – This is a pipe dream for me, only if things work out. Hey, don’t laugh, I NEVER thought I’d be at the level I am now when I started.
F-20 – This seems to fit the bill for me. Doesn’t look like it should but don’t let the small wings fool you. Check out the video. No knee action LG but you can’t have everything. Besides, no one makes a decent F-20 for EDF. This too is a favorite of mine.

Not that I’m bragging but I have been successful with all my aircraft (Warbirds, twins, Scale EDFs, etc) over the last 34 years. My very first plane was a pattern/sport plane… flew that arf until it literally wore out. I still remember stripping the gear out and putting it the trash.. It died a very graceful death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEgQN8y9xlA

and this one:
Skymaster F-20 / Jet Central Rhino (7 min 41 sec)
Barron06 is offline Find More Posts by Barron06
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:59 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,664 Posts
My first jet was an F-86, which is still flying 10 years and 600 flights later, so my feeling is that a jet "trainer" is not a requirement for success in jets.

I have always said that my opinion is that the jet "trainers" are not trainers, they are sports models with jet engines that teach you little good and potentially lots that is bad for scale models. In the same way that being able to wring out a Wot 4/ Ugly Stik type of model teaches you nothing about flying a highly loaded warbird, and actually gives you bad habits because they teach you to get into situations with impunity, which the warbird/jet is not going to recover from.

If you want a twin boom, get a Vampire and at least have a scale twin boom!

My opinion is go scale straight away but be very careful which model and from which manufacturer, many innocent looking scale jet models have tripped up the most experienced pilots. John Wright and others have given very good advice earlier in this thread.
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:09 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,173 Posts
Why stop there... Here's a good first turbine jet
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:07 PM
United Kingdom, Bishop's Cleeve
Joined Feb 2013
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
My first jet was an F-86, which is still flying 10 years and 600 flights later, so my feeling is that a jet "trainer" is not a requirement for success in jets.

I have always said that my opinion is that the jet "trainers" are not trainers, they are sports models with jet engines that teach you little good and potentially lots that is bad for scale models. In the same way that being able to wring out a Wot 4/ Ugly Stik type of model teaches you nothing about flying a highly loaded warbird, and actually gives you bad habits because they teach you to get into situations with impunity, which the warbird/jet is not going to recover from.

If you want a twin boom, get a Vampire and at least have a scale twin boom!

My opinion is go scale straight away but be very careful which model and from which manufacturer, many innocent looking scale jet models have tripped up the most experienced pilots. John Wright and others have given very good advice earlier in this thread.
Thanks Harry for the post.

Was good to chat to you at the club BBQ a few weeks back.

I've bought a house since then but am working towards getting a scale jet. I'll need to consider what model is best.

Currently I'm looking at the Philip Avonds F15, a vampire / venom of some sort or a Mig15 with trailing link oleos, or a Peter Adolff U2. The U2 should avoid the issue of a sudden high sink rate on approach whilst still learning throttle management.
Stephen73 is offline Find More Posts by Stephen73
Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:22 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,121 Posts
ccc
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Aug 04, 2014 at 07:43 PM.