SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:17 AM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Great job SummitBill. I will have to add some of the tweaks you have done to mine this winter. Dash looks great...so do the floats and strut detail.
Very nice. Congratulations on the maiden also.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:27 PM
United Kingdom, Hempstead
Joined Dec 2013
27 Posts
Only one word......outstanding!
SilverFly is offline Find More Posts by SilverFly
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:23 PM
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments, guys. It sure is a fun one to fly. Such a big presence in the air as it passes by. I really like the scale water takeoffs. Three more flights today and no aileron problem. Mixed in 10% down elevator with the 1st notch of flaps and 15% with full flaps, and it is perfectly trimmed. Nice to slow it down for landing. Had a lot of water in the floats. Surprised by that. I had sealed up the servo hatches with silver tape, but not the ballast hatches in the tips. Guess that's where the water got in. I'll seal that and go again and see if they stay dry.

Bill
summitbill is offline Find More Posts by summitbill
Last edited by summitbill; Sep 28, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:42 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
I am guessing you have servos in the floats. In my other Beaver I think the water comes in at the push rods. I put a dab of silicone on them to keep the water out

I still have to play with my elevator/flap mix, I am not happy with it yet.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:39 PM
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Hey Gerry,

The Hangar 9 floats have a very nice flexible rubber cone that you slide over the pushrod to the water rudder. The front of this cone is sealed to the back of the floats with silicone. Very little chance of water getting in there, but I'm not ruling it out. I probably had a third to a half a cup of water in each float, so something major was wrong. Going to seal it as tight up front as possible and then remove the tape and see if any water got in. Anybody else using them and have any suggestions?

I slowed down that flap deployment as well as adding in the down elevator and it felt good.

Bill
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:41 PM
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Sep 2007
40 Posts
Hi Guys, just a word of caution. My beaver came with a black stopper for the fuel tank which I installed. At the field yesterday, I fueled up and had gas leaking bad out of the front of the plane. Pumped the remaining gas out and removed the prop and cowl to find the leak. Discovered that the black stopper had disintegrated into pieces and fell out of the opening in the fuel tank with other pieces inside the tank. I think this stopper that came with the tank was for glow fuel and not gasoline. I have since installed the the brown rubber stopper that is compatable with gasoline. Hoping no one else experiences the same problems as me. Will be contacting product support at Horizon tomorrow to let them know of this problem.
dccoop is offline Find More Posts by dccoop
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
summitbill, thanks so much. I am going to model your panel. It is great.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:34 AM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,531 Posts
EP Beaver question - curious how folks are managing removing the flight batteries to charge without damaging the instrument panel and control yoke? The plastic is so thin it doesn't appear designed to be removed after each flight. Or are folks charging in place?

Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Last edited by marksp; Sep 29, 2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:38 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,301 Posts
What a fantastic looking instrument panel!

The cross braces need sealed as well on the H-9 floats as well as the ballast hatches and servo hatches.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:06 AM
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
What a fantastic looking instrument panel!

The cross braces need sealed as well on the H-9 floats as well as the ballast hatches and servo hatches.
Thanks for the tip, Barracudah. I'll seal the cross braces. I'll bet that's where the water was getting in.

Marksp, I'm removing the instrument panel and the yolk when flying. That way it is easier to pull out the battery tray and insert a new one. The pilot is attached by Velcro to the seats, so I just need to lift the seats and move them back, swap out the batteries and go again. When I'm done flying, I put the instrument panel and yolk back in.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:09 AM
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
summitbill, thanks so much. I am going to model your panel. It is great.
Thanks for the comment tclaridge. If you would like, I'll send you the black sticker for the throttle, mixture and prop levers. I have a couple extra. PM me your address.

Bill
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:28 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitbill View Post
Marksp, I'm removing the instrument panel and the yolk when flying. That way it is easier to pull out the battery tray and insert a new one. The pilot is attached by Velcro to the seats, so I just need to lift the seats and move them back, swap out the batteries and go again. When I'm done flying, I put the instrument panel and yolk back in.
Right on - thanks.

I have an EP fuse almost ready to fly, but never got around to sorting the battery management issues. I'll build up a tray similar to yours and get'er flying!

Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp