HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:08 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
321 Posts
I'm going through a touch of CashRC's problem at the mo. Have the Senator almost finished but need a break for a while. Will be away on hols soon and I know from previous experience I'll be rearing to get back to it afterwards. Plenty of time before the end of Dec.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:35 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
I've just finished my build of the 2x Mercury Mars, that is the ninth Britkit build to be completed. Flying report as soon as the wind drops!

Still a couple of entries with build logs not started and quite a few which have been stagnant for a while - come on guys, only just over 4 months to go and you know how time slips away......

I am planning on building a R/C electric converted KK Stunt Queen, but that won't get started until after my knee replacement operation on 11th October. In the meantime I feel the need for a simple build, probably a little F/F glider, I'll look through the plan file.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:47 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
Well, after a false start the Mars now flies fine, lovely calm morning here so I'm just going out for a pre breakfast flight with it and the Tom Tit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Hi folks
Sorry for the lack of input , been half way up Sugarloaf Mountain in the Brecon Beacons for the best part of three weeks, regretting not taking a plane as when it wasn't blowing a gale ( did buy the youngest a kite) the air was good and still for us.

Anyroad once the mound of washings done and the boys are in school I'll be back to the Veronite I was working on.

ATB

Tom
Froglube is offline Find More Posts by Froglube
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:10 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
Glad to see you back Tom. Imagine being halfway up the Brecon beacons and not having a R/C slope soarer with you! What a waste
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:21 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
Well folks, the Frog Fairy is finished but not yet flown. There will now be a break in my building until after my knee replacement operation scheduled for 11/10/2012 after which I hope to build an electric R/C version of the KK Stunt Queen. However, I'll still be keeping an eye on the build off, the current state is:

Total entries 25
Finished and flown - 6
Finished but not flown - 3
Almost finished - 3
Build logs running - 9
Build logs not started (tsk, tsk) - 3
Withdrawn - 1

So come on guys, get cracking, we don't want to arrive at the end with a pile of part built or unflown models.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:45 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,607 Posts
Quote:
So come on guys, get cracking, we don't want to arrive at the end with a pile of part built or unflown models.
Absolutely. Just a little work each day and they soon get finished.

I was hoping to put together a third entry myself but unfortunately real life has intervened and I have a couple of issues which will take up most of my time for the next couple of months. I feel a little guilty not being able to contribute further but am being thoroughly entertained by everyone's build logs.

Perhaps we should decide on a theme for next years buildathon. Something like any Aeromodeller and/or Model Aircraft plan perhaps.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:54 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
I was thinking along those lines Ray - after Britkit how about "Britplan"? Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft plans certainly, but I was also thinking maybe the plans from the short-lived "Model Aviation" series and any other minor sources - Hobbies magazine perhaps and I recall that "Flying Review" (called "RAF Flying Review" in those days, that was when the RAF actually had some aeroplanes!) published flying model plans, Bill Dean's multi-tasking "Rogue", which could be built in rubber, power and glider versions comes to mind.

Only problem is selecting what to build - I could write a list of 25 which float my boat now, without further research!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Build logs not started (tsk, tsk) - 3
We Unbeguns do sincerely apologize!

Sadly, life does sometimes get in the way of these things.

In my own case, a bit of spare time is finally promising to materialize over the next few weeks so I hope to be able to reduce that total by one, anyway.

I've thoroughly enjoyed watching what you guys have been doing and WILL be making some kind of (FWIW) contribution soon.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
Don't worry Harry, still 3.1/2 months to go - plenty of time, looking forward to watching your Dandy take shape.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
Glad to see Harry D has now started his build log for the little Dandy should be interesting as the target weight for this electric R/C version is 2 ounces!! Follow his progress at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731640
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
Good News and Bad News

Firstly the good bit - Colonel Blink's Ajax, the build log of which has kept us all so entertained, is finished, and even with some nose ballast to get the CG right has come in under target at 160 grams.

Now the bad stuff. cd-webb's lovely and much admired Veron Deacon was destroyed on it's first flight. David elected to have the flight done by a club "expert" and it sounds as if this worthy decided to fly the model more like a pylon racer than a vintage F/F model with radio which resulted in the wings being ripped off. As I said to David, my policy has always been, "I built it, and if anyone is going to crash it, it is going to be me!" Rotten luck David, but the model will still be included in the end of Build Off poll as I only specified that models should be finished, not necessarily flown.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
.....the model will still be included in the end of Build Off poll as I only specified that models should be finished, not necessarily flown.
But I would maintain that it was flown - it simply didn't land in one piece! A damnable shame, because that model was a work of art!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder when the last time the so called 'expert' actually BUILT a model, or is he the expert ARF assembler?
kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
There were ample warning signs that, at the time, I didn't recognize. He WAS a proficient pilot, but, as I found out later, he only owns and flys warbirds. One he had that day was a giant scale P-40 arf, the other was a smaller (not much though) F4U arf. As a matter of fact, of fifteen or so people flying that day, there was not one built up plane there except for mine. Most were 1/4 scale or 1/3 scale. It's an ARF community, there was no minority until I showed up!

I just joined this club to have a place to fly and someone to do it with and after getting acquainted with everyone, they all pointed a finger at this guy as the one to do the deed. Come to think of it, the only time his planes weren't firewalled was on final. Like I said, I had warnings, I just didn't recognize them.

I am making one more attempt to fly the Deacon...key word is "I".
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb