HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:11 AM
United States, CA, Malibu
Joined Apr 2012
196 Posts

Tight the screws before every flight , simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiagoo View Post
Silly question.

I don`t see any mechanism to stop the booms from closing while in the air...
Spare is offline Find More Posts by Spare
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:26 AM
Joined May 2013
129 Posts
I like how this frame folds and retracts work,
http://shop.carboncore.co.uk
Cameraj is offline Find More Posts by Cameraj
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:46 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
?
It's almost the same frame as non-foldable X8.
Only different is arms folding system.

Whe you place ESCs under motor you will have more free spare
in center - it's very easy to solder all parts etc.

Where is the problem?

Jakub
I'm using the Hive mini and mounting the ESC's next to the boom blocks so that they move with the boom when folded. It looks good and there's enough room for everything however, everything bolts from the top down with the retaining clips for the nuts on the bottom of the frame so you have to do all of the wiring first. hold everything in place, line up all of the screws while placing the top plate on. Next to impossible. Or you can be a little smarter about it and build the whole thing upside down so that everything lines up easier and place the bottom plate on last. The downside to doing it this way is that once you have the screws inlace some of them will drop down before you have a chance to attach a nut to them. The folding frame is a bit more difficult to do this way because the nuts are attached to the retainer bracket preventing individual nuts being tightened to hold them in place.

Plus I'm using motors with long wires, I cut them to length so that the motors have to be attached to the booms so that motors and ESC's are one complete unit which make it more difficult to keep everything together.

Not sure how you can improve on this but it can be very challenging holding it all together. I'm sure placing the ESC's under the motor would simplify this but most people I've spoken with recommend keeping the ESC's as close to the power source as possible.

Finally, not so much an ease of installation issue but the edges of the G10/11 frame plates are very sharp and slice through wires that are not positioned correctly when folding. You have to be very careful because its not always easy to see if this happens. Not difficult to resolve but everyone needs to be aware of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
Chuck, I'm about to build that exact same frame. Can you explain in more detail the issues you've been having? I'm only running it as a quad, so should free up some space compared to the x8
Sorry, I didn't mean to express my frustration online, this is still a really well designed and manufactured frame. Like I mentioned it can be challenging to get it all together and as Jakub mentioned the folding frame is not that much more difficult than the standard frame, but I had some of the same issues with the non-foldable frame.

Obviously there's twice the wiring on an X-8 so a quad should be half as difficult… I'm going to try mounting the ESC's under the motor on my Hex, that should simplify the installation because I can build the frame and install the wiring afterwards.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:11 PM
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Nov 2009
294 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to let you know that our GoPro brushless gimbal is 20% OFF,
that one of the best 2 axis gimbals available on the market - prices starts from $36.80. Click Here
peoples is offline Find More Posts by peoples
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:38 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
253 Posts
Mini style blast from the past

This will either make you laugh or cry, Jakub.
I turned my original medium size tricopter frame into a mini Tricopter approximately 250mm size motor to motor distance. SunnySky X2204S -2300 kv motors, Gemfan 5030 props, Magic 12 amp ESCs, FrSky D4R-II Rx, Open Pilot CC3D FC. Turnigy 3S-1600 battery. Corona DS-939MG servo. FPV gear on the way.
Flies incredibly well on stock settings
Movie Guy is offline Find More Posts by Movie Guy
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:09 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,806 Posts
I still have my Hex frame from about the same time period.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:07 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
253 Posts
Strange, with all the massive popularity of mini multi rotors out there right now, when I bought this original medium sized one, Jakub was actually selling a mini sized Tricopter. The motors, FC boards and batteries have finally caught up and can deliver the performance necessary. I was grinning maniacally when I flew this for the first time yesterday.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:14 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Guy View Post
Strange, with all the massive popularity of mini multi rotors out there right now, when I bought this original medium sized one, Jakub was actually selling a mini sized Tricopter. The motors, FC boards and batteries have finally caught up and can deliver the performance necessary. I was grinning maniacally when I flew this for the first time yesterday.
Isn't that darling I might have to build a mini now. What kind of flight times are you getting with her?
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:10 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
253 Posts
With an old, worn and tired Turnigy 3s 1600 a 5 minute flight took 872 mAh back in. I like to work up to these things slowly. Will safely do 1280 mAh from that pack ( 80% "rule") so I have a ways to go.
I can see why the mini frames are so popular if this one is any indication. Even my 17 year old son was impressed with how stable it is. He had the same silly grin on his face as I did.

Edit: 7 minute flight 1100 mAh put back into the pack.
Last edited by Movie Guy; Oct 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Flight time update
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:27 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
565 Posts
Build a robust Y6 for FPV flying in bad weather. Hard mounted a GoPro2 in water resist case. All parts are water resist, used 760Kv, 200gram motor with 13" prop on 6S battery. She handles like a rocket!
Y6 slecht weer machine maiden (1 min 15 sec)
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Been there! 😜
SjaakZwart is online now Find More Posts by SjaakZwart
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:45 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
565 Posts
Nice! Now is the time. Do you still have this machine?
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
This my X8 in construction.
Tiagoo is offline Find More Posts by Tiagoo