HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Mar 2009
22 Posts
Discussion
3 Position Switch "sa" and Eagle Tree Guardian (SOLVED)

With a three position switch and the Guardian you can set 2D, Off and 3D modes

(trying to set this up on the "sa" 3 pos switch)

When I check System, View Inputs for "sa" - it correctly shows -100, 0 (centre) and +100

But when I try and setup flight modes (2D, Off/Normal and 3D) - I can only get "X" and "Checked" - I can't seem to get the middle position for the Off/Normal mode

Any suggestions? (sorry if this seems really basic) - new to the DS-16

thanks - Julian
julian46 is offline Find More Posts by julian46
Last edited by julian46; Sep 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Mar 2009
22 Posts
When I try to set this up as a logical switch (first before assigning it to a Mode)

I can get "sa" low to be on in the lowest position (100%) - but it stays on in the middle and doesnt go off (X) until the top position.

(whether I use a std assignment or Prop)

(I was thinking setting up the three positions as three logical switches first - but that doesnt seem to help)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2009
22 Posts
So the question is - can you use one 3 Position Switch ("sa") to set three different flight modes? (2D, Off, 3D) - (or do you have to use combinations of two two-position switches)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Mar 2009
22 Posts
I guess the other option is simply not to use DS-16 flight modes (on this one model) and just leave the Guardian Mode input connected to a 3 pos switch (havent tried it yet - but it should work (flaps or air brakes etc on ch 5 or 6 - set to prop) (and have an audio file played when its switched to one of the three positions announcing the new active mode)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 05:08 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian46 View Post
With a three position switch and the Guardian you can set 2D, Off and 3D modes

(trying to set this up on the "sa" 3 pos switch)

When I check System, View Inputs for "sa" - it correctly shows -100, 0 (centre) and +100

But when I try and setup flight modes (2D, Off/Normal and 3D) - I can only get "X" and "Checked" - I can't seem to get the middle position for the Off/Normal mode

Any suggestions? (sorry if this seems really basic) - new to the DS-16

thanks - Julian
Remember, the "on position (checked)" is the position you are switching to. So place the switch in up or down prior to selecting the center for the Off/Normal mode. If this doesn't solve your problem, I'll give you a step by step when I'm near my transmitter.

Jim O
JOddino is offline Find More Posts by JOddino
Old Sep 17, 2013, 06:12 AM
Joined Mar 2009
22 Posts
yea - I am able to do it on a 2 position switch (and press clr to do it over in the switch assignment) - but could only get the state to be X or Checked. (never off IE - middle position)

When I created the three modes (norm, 2D and 3D) what would happen is switch low - 2D, switch middle, 3D, then switch high back to 2D. (it would never go back to the normal mode - (again middle)

Have you actually tried this - setting three modes on one stick (in aero mode)?
(*** another user posted over on helifreak - it works ok in heli mode - as norm, idle-up1 and idle-up2) - will try it again tonight on my radio - he posted details instructions
Last edited by julian46; Sep 17, 2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:39 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian46 View Post
yea - I am able to do it on a 2 position switch (and press clr to do it over in the switch assignment) - but could only get the state to be X or Checked. (never off IE - middle position)

When I created the three modes (norm, 2D and 3D) what would happen is switch low - 2D, switch middle, 3D, then switch high back to 2D. (it would never go back to the normal mode - (again middle)

Have you actually tried this - setting three modes on one stick (in aero mode)?
(*** another user posted over on helifreak - it works ok in heli mode - as norm, idle-up1 and idle-up2) - will try it again tonight on my radio - he posted details instructions
Question: Do you want three new Flight Modes in your transmitter where you can change parameters or do you just want to put the Guardian into each of its three modes?
If it is the latter, just add a function called Mode in the Functions Assignment menu. Then assign switch Sa. Then assign the channel you want to use to switch the Guardian by assigning the Mode function to that channel in the Servo Assignment menu. Confirm it works as desired in the Servo Setup menu.

If you really want three flight modes, create them in Flight Modes in the Fine Tuning menu. Label them 2d, normal, 3d. Next assign switch Sa as follows:
For normal in the center position, pull Sa forward, highlight the normal Switch on the Flight Modes screen and press the select button. You will see Select Input Control Screen and instructions to move the desired control. Switch Sa TO the center position. You will see Sa with a check. Repeat this procedure for the other two modes always switching TO the desired position when prompted. When complete, on the Flight Modes screen you should see X's on the modes not selected and a check on the mode that is selected.

Hope this helps, Jim O
JOddino is offline Find More Posts by JOddino
Old Sep 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2009
22 Posts
Hi Jim - I wanted to do both (flight mode setup and Guardian mode change with sa) - to learn how to do it etc

For creating the modes - another member over at HF responded - (with setting up Idle-up modes etc for a Heli) - I used that post plus your last one to sort it out.

(and like most things - its easy when you know how)

thanks for the help - Julian

(heres the other thread: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....34#post5304034)