HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
37 Posts
Discussion
Anyone in South Brisbane/Logan?

Hi,

Is there a group of guys that get together in South Brisbane/Logan?

I am in Logan and would like to meet people who do the hobby and I would like to learn more and share the fun with others.

I am a beginner. I own a Trex 450 DFC.

Thanks
swifteagle is offline Find More Posts by swifteagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifteagle View Post
Hi,

Is there a group of guys that get together in South Brisbane/Logan?

I am in Logan and would like to meet people who do the hobby and I would like to learn more and share the fun with others.

I am a beginner. I own a Trex 450 DFC.

Thanks
Have you checked out LARCS ?
You must live just around the corner from them, it's one of the best clubs going. Heaps of good heli pilots there who can give you advice and help teach you to fly. The advice you get from other members will save you more than the membership fee in the first 3 months.

http://www.larcs.com.au/

btw. In case you haven't already heard, flying in a park can cost you around $400 if the council catch you. Some parks it's ok but others it's not, it all comes down to the particular council.
balsadude is offline Find More Posts by balsadude
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:15 AM
Joined Feb 2013
37 Posts
Thank you so much for the link, I didnt know about them.

I will check them out and come for a visit.

I didnt know about the potential fines.... I was lucky I was flying at a field and the police were there looking but didnt say anythig. Two different cars saw me and no problem with the cops.

Thanks for letting me know.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:24 AM
I took 25yr Break, New Tech!
Australia, QLD, Parkinson
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
It the rangers you have to look out for not the Cops, unless you injure someone...

Unfortunately LARCS is out for the count at the moment.... possibly another 3 - 4 weeks... the big flood of 2013

there is a separate heli field from fixed wing, and a control line center, cross over is allowed between disciplines and instructors will be more than willing to help.

You can visit for the day but a hover certificate must be obtained before you fly, it's all about saftey, over 200 members now.
blackdog1 is offline Find More Posts by blackdog1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:19 AM
Joined Feb 2013
37 Posts
Wow the floods really messed up the place!! What a shame.

You were saying that some parks are ok and others are not, how do you know which ones are ok?

Also do you know why FPV is not allowed at the club?

Thanks
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
LARCS have separate areas for all the above.... when it's back on line, most other clubs share the same flying space or very close together.

There are no parks local I would recommend a 450 size... the biggest we fly in a park is an MCPX people tend to walk straight past where you are flying.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifteagle View Post
Wow the floods really messed up the place!! What a shame.

You were saying that some parks are ok and others are not, how do you know which ones are ok?

Also do you know why FPV is not allowed at the club?

Thanks
To be honest I don't fly helis, the only parks where I have ever seen anyone flying have been just plane guys. Because those spots are so few and far between they often get real protective and don't take to kindly to helis.
The reason is that this hobby is mad about safety, coping a foamie to the back of the head is likely to give someone a headache but a heli is another story, so if you turn up at one of those parks with a heli don't be surprised if you get an ear bashing from the locals.

Another thing to consider is the more remote parks often have people walking dogs off the leash, with a plane it's not such a big deal but I can imagine while you are still learning a dog chasing your heli around would most likely result in a decapitated dog and a crashed heli.

There was a youtube news clip getting around a while ago from the states where a guy crashed his heli into a girl walking by in the park (I think it was a 450). The girl needed a couple of hundred stitches and was unconscious when they found her, she nearly died.

Not sure about the FPV, probably has something to do with the MAAA insurance?

In the mean time if your real desperate you could try contacting your local cricket club? I was flying planes at Coomera cricket club with the club president's ok.
balsadude is offline Find More Posts by balsadude
Last edited by balsadude; Feb 05, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:19 AM
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsadude View Post

Not sure about the FPV, probably has something to do with the MAAA insurance?
General member vote, the pilot of the FPV aircraft has limited situation awareness of what is happening around them, with four other aircraft in the sky at the same time it can get a bit hectic. Also limited space, you can be way out of the allowed flying area, over the freeway or eagleby before you realise it.

I fly FPV, but not at any clubs and way out of town .... and on farms, have a whale of a time and use Return home on signal loss, don't worry about a spotter out there.