HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
35 Posts
Ok... everyone seems to be fixated on the weight. Like I stated before, I made a mistake initially with the weight and that was fixed. If you are looking for an ultra-light frame, this is not for you so please do not buy it.

On another note you are comparing apples and oranges. When you look at other frames on the market, they usually do not include all the mounting hardware in the weight specs. And as each are built they will slightly vary, not everyone is going to get the same weight.

This platform is not designed to take the place of your other frames, it serves a specific purpose and it does it very well. Others have adapted for multi-purpose use and I think that is great, but please understand this frame does not solve all problems and it has its limitations.

With that said, have fun with it!
AquaCopters is offline Find More Posts by AquaCopters
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:05 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Im very happy with mine, think its good value. Im going to have a lot of fun with it.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:16 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,712 Posts
No worries about the weight here.

I love mine, looks to be very high quality and the self contained look will be awesome! Now if I could just figure out how to get my FPV gear on there
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
I have just had a short flight over water with mine. Landed a couple of times in the water and did notice that if its a heavy landing the motor goes under. It was a bit breezy so being a small light quad compared to what i usually fly it was a bit bouncy in the air. I have some footage from the gopro that I will upload soon, nothing special just a quick tester. This was a short fpv flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHNB9b86ZU
Nice job, did I read that correctly? FPV flight?

Please post lots of detailed pics Stacky as I'm still trying to figure out how to get all my FPV gear in there!

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:31 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Paul,
I will do some pics later for you. I have used an old plastic futaba servo box to hold my transmitter and its battery in. I have my fpv cam on a short bit of aluminium which is held in place via the plastic lid screws of the quad. I could fit the fpv gear in to the aquaquad but it would make everything even more fiddly when fitting the battery in. I may yet do this but for now this will do, not ideal but it will work.
Yes a fpv flight, I didnt go far. I was just using the built in fatshark 5.8 modue and fatshark CP antennas. Trouble is i really never get great range with 5.8g
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,370 Posts
I modified the lid retention on my Aquaquad. Instead of using the included screws...which were tight and hard on my fingers, I ran some nylon 8-32 1" nylon screws from the inside out...so now have studs poking out the top of the opening. I enlarged the lid screw holes by one drill bit size and it fits nicely over the nylon studs. To secure the lid I installed nylon washers and metal wing nuts. Man, talk about easy to open now. I just spin off the wing nuts and lift the lid...way easier than the original method...for me at least. I hope to find some nylon 8-32 wing nuts locally to replace the metal ones, but for now the metal ones will work. My frame isn't finished yet though. I hope to have it flight ready this weekend. Now to find some grommets to run the motor wires through...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
definately all true here... and that weight is definately respecable for a tough quad that is waterproof.

I am still thinking of this one but gonna watch the development for a while.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaCopters View Post
Ok... everyone seems to be fixated on the weight. Like I stated before, I made a mistake initially with the weight and that was fixed. If you are looking for an ultra-light frame, this is not for you so please do not buy it.

On another note you are comparing apples and oranges. When you look at other frames on the market, they usually do not include all the mounting hardware in the weight specs. And as each are built they will slightly vary, not everyone is going to get the same weight.

This platform is not designed to take the place of your other frames, it serves a specific purpose and it does it very well. Others have adapted for multi-purpose use and I think that is great, but please understand this frame does not solve all problems and it has its limitations.

With that said, have fun with it!
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jan 2011
231 Posts
Maybe I should not have asked about AUW? I was asking purely from technical interest as a gauge of how the setups compared between builds. The hull material is great and it will be interesting to see how it wears.

It looks pretty impressive to see the copters getting wet without the need for scuba gear.

BTW Mr Aquacopter the lid file you sent imported no problem! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRodent View Post
Whats ur AUW on that beastie? Mine seems like a brick but my parts are nothing special weight wise.

Mine (kydex 375g) is at 1100g ready to roll 2 x 1300mah 3S (=264g).

I guess its built for a purpose and that's to float and fly with emphasis on the float. It will be interesting to see where the waterline is.

Anybody else got numbers I would be keen to hear them.
FlyingRodent is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRodent
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
can i fit 12 props on these ?
if not whats the biggest prop i can fit ?
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Had a short burst at a local inlet. The first part is a bit wobbly while I messed with my contrast settings on my goggles. Perfect conditions with virtually no breeze but I still dont have my cc3d board set up as well as i want. At the end i lost throttle for some unknown reason and flipped as i hit the water. if i had just dropped the throttle and let the quad drop it wouldnt have flipped. The quad was upside down for about 3 minutes till i swam out to retrieve it. The only damage was a dead fpv camera. No water got inside and once on land I put three batteries through the quad flying LOS. Not sure why i got the power loss at this point but at least I can fly over water and recover my multi if there is a problem and have it able to fly again.

Oops (4 min 8 sec)

Also, an added bonus is that when you crash these frames the only thing likely to break are the props.... That and you can do high speed skim landings on grass
Last edited by Stacky; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:07 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
can i fit 12 props on these ?
if not whats the biggest prop i can fit ?
It's a fairly standard 450size frame so should handle most common sizes for that size. I can double check mine tomorrow where 12s might run. I've usually run 10" or smaller on these size frames.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,370 Posts
Here's my lid modification. I drilled the lid holes one drill size bigger than stock, ran 8-32 x 3/4" nylon screws from the inside out, and nylon wing nuts (just picked them up today) to secure. It makes installing/removing the lid a breeze now. The 3/4" screws are just long enough. I originally had 1" screws which leaves more thread available. I might go back to the 1" screws if needed, but the wing nuts seem to hold snug once lightely tightened down.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
It's a fairly standard 450size frame so should handle most common sizes for that size. I can double check mine tomorrow where 12s might run. I've usually run 10" or smaller on these size frames.
Please do check. I want one of this frame but my motor setup require 12 props for getting 15 to 20 mins fly time with 5000mah lipo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
I cannot fit 5000mah 3s nanotech batteries inside this frame.12 inch props will give you about 1 inch clearance at the closest tip point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
Please do check. I want one of this frame but my motor setup require 12 props for getting 15 to 20 mins fly time with 5000mah lipo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
I cannot fit 5000mah 3s nanotech batteries inside this frame.12 inch props will give you about 1 inch clearance at the closest tip point.
What about 2 smaller 2500mah packs ?