SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post
its as far forward as i can get it... I will measure to be sure.

So its not as precise as the slicks but presumably its precise enough for most fliers or is it best to keep this one to 3D only? Is there a big enough difference to justify owning an Extra 60" EXP also?
3dhs 57" extra ??

Quote:
I could probably gain upto another centimeter in length by pulling forward the cowl and extending using some washers the motor mount.

Do you think a cm would make any difference or is it length behind the wings which helps with precision?
Everything helps. On my edge I put the motor as far forward as I can get it and still have the cowl fit. If you'd like to try this "risk-free" for a flight, you could always tape the cowl on with blenderm or similar before drilling it for that new location.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:23 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,777 Posts
Great call on the 57" 330SC- GREAT CALL!
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
In the uk I can only get my hands on a limited number of airframes!

Never seen the 57" extra over here!

We do get sebart though for a reasonable price!

Are there any disadvantages to a lengthening the fuse? Also I think ball links at both ends of the control rods might help remove some slop... I will try that
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
I started this plane as a 6s plane running an old torque setup. It was quite a bit heavier than it's current 4s setup with the motrolfly. I will say that I liked the heavier version a bit better, so if you decided to add a bit of weight to the nose it will not be a problem at all.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,777 Posts
I am powering mine with a Torque 4014T/570kv motor and an 80A airboss ESC. 4s3300mah packs.
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
In the uk I can only get my hands on a limited number of airframes!

Never seen the 57" extra over here!

We do get sebart though for a reasonable price!

Are there any disadvantages to a lengthening the fuse? Also I think ball links at both ends of the control rods might help remove some slop... I will try that
Hey buddy, I'm from the UK and I hear ya!

But two good pieces of news!

The guy who runs Global RC is apparently getting a whole new container of 3DHS models fairly soon which I guess will keep him in business for the 2013 season. I believe he is choosing some different ones for 2013 (59 Slick, 74 Edge, Bigfoot, etc.) but give him a call to be sure!

Also, ADCHobbyStore dispatch 3DHS to the UK! Surprisingly, even though it comes all the way from the US, prices are pretty good and customs is usually around 30 to 60 which is bearable, so you won't pay much more (or maybe even less ) than if you were to buy in the UK.

As for the Sebart, I've flown a few of their planes and whilst the schemes and quality of them is very nice I don't think they're on par with 3DHS, EF, and PA stuff for flight characteristics.
RCPilot1234 is online now Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,183 Posts
I was really in agreement with everything you said about the other manufacturers until you got to P.A....... Bleh!!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I was really in agreement with everything you said about the other manufacturers until you got to P.A....... Bleh!!!!

SteveT
Haha! I was typing and thinking should I put it down, should I... I was going to put in brackets 'although some may disagree here about PA'

The two planes from PA I've flown are the Addiction X and Bandit. As for construction, I think the Addy X is slightly better done than the Bandit. For flight characteristics, I prefer the Addy X. They both have their niche but the Addy X serves itself better in what it's designed to be good at. With the Bandit, I used to like it but as I fly the Slick more, I can't really understand what it excels at (it's only average all-round I'd say). The Addy X is a dream at ultra slow pre-stall flight that does great rolling harriers and super easy prop-hangs. The Bandit on the other hand I just don't particularly get. I don't agree with PA that it's particularly fast. Also you would think the large wing area with vortex generators would make it nice to harrier but I can honestly say it doesn't do it particularly well. Prop-hanging seems fairly hard, too. It does rolling harriers rather nicely for a 50" plane, I'll give it that. Knife edge always seems to require quite a bit of speed, too much for my taste (probably due to the thin fuse which doesn't create much side-force).

I must say I'm very interested in the KMX! Although it doesn't look like it carriers enough weight to do proper KE spins, blenders and pop tops. Decisions decisions decisions..., haha!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,183 Posts
No P.A., No P.A., No P.A......

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
No P.A., No P.A., No P.A......

SteveT
Haha! As you say, hotay!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
+1 no pa. I have an extra 260 which is ok if the wind is 0mph however that's never the case. My Sebby sukhoi 30e eats it alive in just about any manoeuver.

TBH I had a slick 42" for five minutes and preferred the sukhoi also
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:41 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,183 Posts
I have said it before, and will say it again....my two biggest problems with P.A. planes, are the are "one trick ponies"....they do one or two things fairly well....but that's it.....and the other the the manager of P.A. USA, and his treatment of customers...

That said....an Addiction X might actually help me to learn how to harrier....two reasons....it does it pretty well....and I would enjoy trashing it!!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Ok I have the fuselage as long as it can be now (by having the cowel as far forward as possible)... this helps with tracking quite a bit
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
I have said it before, and will say it again....my two biggest problems with P.A. planes, are the are "one trick ponies"....they do one or two things fairly well....but that's it.....and the other the the manager of P.A. USA, and his treatment of customers...

That said....an Addiction X might actually help me to learn how to harrier....two reasons....it does it pretty well....and I would enjoy trashing it!!!

SteveT
Did you say you owned a 58" edge?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:04 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,183 Posts
Yes, but it is NIB...I have flown my 55" Edge quite a bit though....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member