HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:31 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2006
97 Posts
Discussion
How do i land without breaking prop?

Just got one of these setup and am hoping to take it on its first flight today, is there a way of landing without breaking the prop as i can see it causing a problem if its sticking out below the bottom of the wing...

Shifty is offline Find More Posts by Shifty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:23 AM
Norway
Joined Feb 2010
602 Posts
If you land with power off at a reasonable speed the prop should get rotated horizontal fairly easily when it hits the ground, and not suffer any damage. Landing on grass will be best for it of course. Also enable motor braking on the ESC so the prop won't be turning when power is off.

I have some wings outfitted with fairly small and stiff props, 4.1 to 5.5 inches, and those are using a collet like on the picture, haven't had any problems with broken props yet.

On some of my slower and larger wings, I am using up to 8 inch slow fly props with propsavers. In a pusher configuration the o-rings don't need to be as tight, so the props can get pushed to the side without much resistance.

Get some cheap props from hobbyking anyway, 3$ for a sixpack, then breaking a prop isn't a problem any longer
meshyx is offline Find More Posts by meshyx
Old Jun 03, 2010, 04:13 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2006
97 Posts
Cool thanks, i noticed my prop spins while off throttle but am not sure how to enable motor braking as i didnt get any instructions with the ESC.
Shifty is offline Find More Posts by Shifty
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:49 AM
That Guy Who Flies Wings.
La Vista, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2007
395 Posts
Motor braking is bad. It will tend to hold the prop in a specific position when you shut the motor down. You want the prop to spin a bit so it can move out of the way of the ground when you land. It will level itself out on its own. I do touch and go's with my wings on asphalt (no LG) and have yet to break a prop. Just make sure the throttle is off when you land and you'll be fine.
frednjess is offline Find More Posts by frednjess
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
use a prop saver it usually just breaks the elastic band rather than the prop iuse them on my swift II my toro 900 and my stryker , never broke a prop.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief