Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:34 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
Really need some help!!!

I have been trying to figure out how to get my tail parameters set in the software.

To start, I have my TX gyro settings as follows: 70% HH mode / 30% Rate mode

On the first screen in the program, my tail gain is at default 100 (using 3D Soft)

When I go to the Monitor tab, it says to set the numbers to 0 using sub-trim. On the Tail gain slider, I cannot get mine to hit 0. My Gear sub-trim is currently at 0%. If I adjust it, I can get the slider to move but my sub-trim maxes out at + or - 62.5% which only gives me 28 on the slider in HH mode and -42 in Rate mode.

If I leave my sub-trim at 0, the numbers are 88 HH mode and -102 Rate mode.

The only way to get the recommended 36% / -36% is to leave sub-trim in TX at 0, go into Travel adjust (or end points) and change those values from 100% / -100% to 30.5 and -46.

I am concerned this is not set properly since I can't seem to get 0 using sub trim first. Can anyone please help? I have been struggling with this for a few days now.

Hey nascar,

A lot of folks ignore the monitor screen, I don't. Subtrim in the FBL is to let the FBL unit know where the arms are at at midstick (90 degrees).

With that said, setting subtrim for tail gain to zero is not applicable since it is a controlling gain channel for gyro tail hold and not a servo controlling channel.

So set endpoints correctly and adjust gain for rate and HH mode with your gain adjustment. 36 is just a recommended starting point.
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy. View Post
Hey nascar,

A lot of folks ignore the monitor screen, I don't. Subtrim in the FBL is to let the FBL unit know where the arms are at at midstick (90 degrees).

With that said, setting subtrim for tail gain to zero is not applicable since it is a controlling gain channel for gyro tail hold and not a servo controlling channel.

So set endpoints correctly and adjust gain for rate and HH mode with your gain adjustment. 36 is just a recommended starting point.
Thanks for the info. I am getting a tail wag (just hovering for now) and went back into my TX and dropped the gyro sensor down to 50% instead of 70%. I did another hover test and was still getting a wag so I went into the software and changed the values on the slider from 36 / -36 to 26 / -26 using my endpoint adjustment in the TX. Just did another hover and this seems to have toned it down. Just barely wagging now.

I am going to hold off on making any more adjustments for now. I ordered a metal tail rotor control arm, metal tail pitch linkage rods, and a metal tail pitch control bearing hub to replace all the plastic parts there on the tail assy. I noticed as I was making adjustments, there is some play in those plastic parts. I hope this corrects that and may also help get rid of some of the wag as well.
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:22 PM
Farmer
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
If i use a satellite reciever where does the throttle (esc) hook up on the zyx s?

I'm stumped
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, NJ, Vineland
Joined Aug 2011
135 Posts
While "tweaking" my very good setup to fix some collective to tail compensation I had a blade strike the ground, bending the main and feathering shafts and breaking a blade. While replacing them I lost one of the spacer collars on the Airy flybarless head and so used another, slightly different head (Also Airy brand). With this new head, in contrast to the other head I was using, I can't get the pitch of the blades the same when the blades are perpendicular to the the boom and also when aligned with the boom. The difference is 1.5 degrees. I temporarily set it up at "neutral" so in one orientation it is sligthly positive and in the other it is slightly negative. Is there some common error in the mechanical setup of a flybarless head that would cause this problem?
asolof is offline Find More Posts by asolof
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
If i use a satellite reciever where does the throttle (esc) hook up on the zyx s?

I'm stumped
I would like to know that as well. - Anyone?

I am mad at the government, my Sat from Targethobby.com has been stuck in customs since 8/4/12. usually it takes no more than 4 days. The flying season will be over by the time I get it.

Has anyone noticed that you cant get a DSM2 sat domestically any more, they are all out of stock and the DSMX is the only one they have.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
666 Posts
Here ya go.

Name: zyx hookup (Medium).jpg
Views: 112
Size: 123.2 KB
Description:

A little update...

I was able a while ago to get a Orange DSM2 sat to work with the zyx-s, so I bought some of the Spektrum DSM2 sats that TargetHobby had on sale. I was not successful in getting them to work. The Orange worked fine, the Spektrum sats, no luck. Would like to hear how others made out.

Glen
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Last edited by Muskoka1; Aug 27, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
i just converted a trex 500 to xyz FBl and i finally got it flying great then a friend that helped me set up the heli told me i need to run a governor and im not sure how to do that do i set that in the radio { futabe 10hc} are is it something that is set in the gyro

also i am running window xp on my PC and the computer doesn't recognize the xyz usb port has anyone run into this problem
piledrive is offline Find More Posts by piledrive
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:52 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piledrive View Post
i just converted a trex 500 to xyz FBl and i finally got it flying great then a friend that helped me set up the heli told me i need to run a governor and im not sure how to do that do i set that in the radio { futabe 10hc} are is it something that is set in the gyro

also i am running window xp on my PC and the computer doesn't recognize the xyz usb port has anyone run into this problem
Governor is a function on your ESC, not the gyro or your radio. So you might not have a governor option.

How do you know the PC doesn't recognize your USB dongle? The original software provided by Tarot requires the USB dongle to be on COM1 -4. If it is on any com port higher than 4 it won't see it. Check out this tutorial: http://fbl.net.nz/info/adapter for detains on the COM ports.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:51 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,010 Posts
Muskoka1 :
NowI am really bummed out, not only is my TargetHobby sat stuck in customs, but it wont work anyway. I will take a genuine Spectrum sat of of one of my 600s and try it this weekend.

DSMX upgrade- If I have to buy new DSMX transmitters I may switch to FUTABA-Just say'in.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:04 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
864 Posts
Well I broke down and ordered one of these (ZYX-S) to see How I like it compared to the HB800 and the CX3X-1000.
I well be putting it on my Hausler 500 with a Align 500 FBL head.
I Purchased a second CX for it a month ago and got around to putting it on But that one only gave my Heli turrets syndrome trying to Flip it over on its head while checking tracking and fine tuning the tail.
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:22 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpainter3 View Post
Muskoka1 :
NowI am really bummed out, not only is my TargetHobby sat stuck in customs, but it wont work anyway. I will take a genuine Spectrum sat of of one of my 600s and try it this weekend.

DSMX upgrade- If I have to buy new DSMX transmitters I may switch to FUTABA-Just say'in.
I hope someone else can try the Spektrum DSM2 satellites, perhaps it was something I did, although I followed the steps I did to get the Orange satellite to work.

There was one difference though. I don't have a Spektrum receiver with a satellite port, only the 6 channel Orange receivers. I bound to that and the light on the Spektrum satellite was solid but when I tried to use it solo with the zyx-s they wouldn't talk. Maybe there's something odd in the way a Spektrum satellite binds with a Orange receiver, you wouldn't think so, but this is the only difference, and it didn't work. Maybe when yours come in you can try binding the satellite to a Spektrum receiver (if you have one) and see if it will work with th zyx-s.

Glen
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Here's a working buddycode for anyone interested link
Still listed at $55.95 for me. That is the normal price.
CopterCrazy is offline Find More Posts by CopterCrazy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterCrazy View Post
Still listed at $55.95 for me. That is the normal price.
You need to be logged in for the codes to work. I use the code and go it for $38.00 delivered registered air mail.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
You need to be logged in for the codes to work. I use the code and go it for $38.00 delivered registered air mail.
Thanks! I didn't realize I had to be logged in. Now it come up at the reduced rate.
CopterCrazy is offline Find More Posts by CopterCrazy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,371 Posts
No worries bud.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968