HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:57 PM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
444 Posts
The copper tape is to help GPS reception by acting as a reflector. It won't do much for the compass.

Starting over with just the basics might be what you have to do. Before you go there I'd try two things.

Something really simple, but it's a bit of a long shot, is to remove the ferrite choke. It's close to the compass and battery and might be causing some issues. It looks like it might be able to move a slight bit during flight and/or a battery change.

The second thing is what I suggested earlier. Move the compass up. I'd go at least 6 inches higher just for a test. Use a wooden dowel or something. It doesn't have to be anything permanent. When you do this don't have that choke anywhere near the compass. If this helps then you can just work on the mast length or its position on the copter.
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2014, 02:19 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,764 Posts
Heading out to do a test now. Going From: x=2, y=-8, z=-5 To: x=0, y=-10, z=-19

For simplicity sake, I used a carbon fiber bar, removed the ferrite magnet clip and removed the ground wire.

UPDATE WITH RESULTS:

WOW, zero TBE in a 15 minute flight. Problem is completely gone...thank you EHX! I have owned the DJI 550 for over a year and it's never performed this well. I've always head the same old "check your settings" and "recalibrate your compass" but you're the first to mention the battery as an issue. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
Dji 550 fixed (0 min 16 sec)
Fidelity101 is offline Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Fidelity101; Jan 10, 2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 03:34 PM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
444 Posts
I'm glad it worked out. Multicopters are a lot more fun when they fly right .
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:33 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,519 Posts
I had a stack yesterday, went sideways into a tree. Minimal damage luckily, broken antenna, 2 broken props and lost a prop adapter nut. Fixed it all up today and got it back in the air but now its not flying right..

Originally I was using HQ 8x5 props but I didn't have any spare so I put on a brand new set of GemFan 8x5 CF props, balanced them first on my balancer. At the same time I hooked the Naza up to the assistant and did an 'Advance IMU Calibration' because it hit the ground pretty hard but flat.

Took it outside and did a compass calibration prior to flight. The quad takes off normal, hovers normal but when you get aggressive on the sticks it does a funny wobble movement. It also does this when you accelerate hard, from half to 3/4 or full throttle, the quad leans to the right as if the front left motor is spinning faster than the other 3, then when I back off the throttle to put it into a hover it kicks back to the left and goes back to level hover.

Took it back inside and did a transmitter calibration firstly. Then I did a ESC calibration for all 4 ESC's at the same time, after that hooked it up to Naza Assistant and reset the gains back to default. I also rotated the props in case they were causing it to behave funny. Front left prop to back left, front right prop to back right.

Still does the same thing but less noticeable, that would be because the gains are lower I'm guessing. It seems like the motors are getting power unevenly on fast stick input. Looks like M2 is getting the most power, then M3, M1 then M4, causing it to lean to the back right.

Any thoughts or suggestions what to try next?

Was going to go with another Adv IMU Cali then a basic calibration and see if that helps.
planex is offline Find More Posts by planex
Old Jan 20, 2014, 09:49 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,229 Posts
It could also be the CF props. I would get the same ones you had before and try again.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:14 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
It could also be the CF props. I would get the same ones you had before and try again.
You were right, was the props
Thanks
planex is offline Find More Posts by planex