SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts

Hi Denny, Just got back my daughters honor society induction. Last night was my sons band concert at school. It seems like every night has been packed lately.

Progress has been slow because I have not been building much lately. My oldest son got engaged and i have been helping him fix up his house before the wedding. I am still hoping to get back to it this winter. So, since my last post Mark and I got the fuselage glassed. Mark got the retracts functioning and they work great.
There have been a few times when I began to post some pictures and then got sidetracked.....

So what does Bueller....Bueller mean?
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:51 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Ha, messages most have crossed. Mark hit it right on the head. weekends and evenings have been crazy. Denny, I would love to have the dC-3 finished by Mid-Am. I think I said that a couple of years ago too!!!! Let's hope.

Mike
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:55 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
I can see it taking off into the pretty blue sky now...
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:58 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
That's what I like about you Mark. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now the end still seems pretty far off!
Mike
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:06 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6world View Post

Hi Denny, Just got back my daughters honor society induction. Last night was my sons band concert at school. It seems like every night has been packed lately.

Progress has been slow because I have not been building much lately. My oldest son got engaged and i have been helping him fix up his house before the wedding. I am still hoping to get back to it this winter. So, since my last post Mark and I got the fuselage glassed. Mark got the retracts functioning and they work great.
There have been a few times when I began to post some pictures and then got sidetracked.....

So what does Bueller....Bueller mean?

Ferris Bueller.....

I just wanted to make sure you were still kicking.

I understand all the family stuff, that plus work, it's amazing if you find time for the hobby. This time of year also has a number of family and work events leading up to Christmas.

I know when you have time you will keep us updated. Hang in there.....

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:18 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Yea, I'm still kicking. I have not worked on the DC-3 for quite a while but I do have a few pictures that show some of the progress since my last update on the build.

The Fuselage has been Fiberglassed and a light coat of primer has been applied. I cut off the nose and began the process of setting up the hatch. Basically, when it is all finished, the nose will be held on with magnets and kept in position with a few dowels. This will give me a place to access the receiver and battery during my flight prep. The landing gear has been installed and functioning (thank you Mark Rittinger) and the wires are ready to be buried in the wings. The landing gear actuation has been slowed down using the "Go-Slo-lll"

Maybe this will get me motivated!

Mike
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:18 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,688 Posts
Mike,

Happy New Year!

It looks like you've made quite a bit of progress. Hope you can find the time to finish this Spring, I'd like to see it fly.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:55 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
Progress??
How do you like the book?
Mark
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:51 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Well, it has been a long time since I have posted on this thread and for good reason. It has been a long time since i worked on the DC-3. My life got very busy for a while but the DC-3 has not left my mind. I plan on finishing this bird. I should be posting some updates over the next few months.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:54 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Retractable Landing Gear

I am working on the nacelles right now. The landing gear is installed and operational and in the next couple of weeks, it should look a lot more like a DC-3. Here is a video of the gear working.

Mike's Douglas DC-3 retractable landing gear (0 min 27 sec)
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:01 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
Progress continues...itll fly great!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:30 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,688 Posts
Mike,

Glad to see you back working in your DC3. I hope to see it and you at next years MidAm! The gear looks great!

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:28 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Sanding & Shaping Foam Nacelles

Thanks guys. It sat long enough. So with some help from Mark I have been getting back on track with this project. The nacelles are built up foam that I am shaping. I forgot how much fun that part was. I also forgot how messy it is! I spent a couple hours tonight working on the top nacelles and did some significant shaping on the top right. Here are some pictures of the mess........ I mean the progress.

Mark, I must have missed your previous post about the book! Yes, it has been a huge help. I have been using it for reference pictures. It also has some interesting history. Thanks again, I do appreciate it.

So, it looks like I will have several nites sanding and sanding and sanding but it will be worth it. I will post more pictures when there is more significant progress.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:45 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
Lookin good!
Old Oct 26, 2013, 05:52 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Got the rough sanding completed on the nacelles. I think I am finished sanding a bunch of foam (famous last words). I am tempted to try covering the foam with the Deluxe Eze-Kote Finishing Resin stuff Mark used on his Zero with a heavy cloth to protect the foam from dings. I also have the liquid sheeting stuff from WOW Planes but I would need to paint the foam with latex paint first to protect it from getting eaten.