HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Discussion
Which BZ F-117 Stealth Fighter Jet is best??

Hello guys,

I've been looking through the forums and have not been able to find a good answer to this. Banana Hobbies is selling 3 different F-117 planes.

1. A BZ-117 Stealth Fighter 4ch. 64mm, claiming 70mph speed for $129.90.

2. A BZ-117 Stealth Fighter Pro Edition 4ch. 64mm, claiming 100mph speed for $149.90.

3. A BZ-117 Stealth Fighter V2 Pro 6ch. 70mm, claiming 90mph speed, retracts for $279.90.

The only differnace I see between the first 2 is the second one is suppose to be faster than the first. The third on has a bigger motor and is a slightly bigger plane and has retractable landing gear plus 6ch. radio but people are saying the landing gear is not good and it's slow and no power, short flights?

Are these speeds they list real? Are these planes good flyers? Which one is the best to get with the best flying, speed, price, flight time, and upgradablity combo? Are they upgradable and can you use bigger batteries in them? Any help would be great as I don't know which one to buy?
Emdev2 is offline Find More Posts by Emdev2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
V2 ofcourse,, it;s larger and should float more.. BUT if you are not experienced enough you should be buying something that will help you with orientation...

as for the speed.. with the help of the wind yes you can dive on those speeds...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:51 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Pavcon,

Do you have one of these F-117 V2's? Do you know the max battery you can use on this without cutting it up? Any input on the landing gear? Is this a good reliableplane? Is it slow like some people claim? I'm new to flying and I ordered a sky surfer as my first plane. Good choice? I was thinking of getting a EDF as my second plane after I do alot of sim time and have a bunch of flying time on the sky surfer. The F-117 just looks so cool. Any sugestions?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I have the equivalent F-22 to the F-117 with retracts.. same manufacturer same power stuff in it. they are great floaters I can tell you this.. and If you would get into EDF go with the F-22.. 1st you will love it and 2nd its the BEST of THE BEST for entering EDFs...

The F-117 will give you hard time with orientation because it's all black..
and believe me with EDFs you can't afford too many mistakes because things happens faster than trainers and alot faster than the skysurfer

Go with the F-22. I told this to more than 7 ppl that I can remember of and all were very happy after their purchase.. that thing can cruise at less than half throttle bone stock... as for the battery compartment that's the only con you can find on those models.. it's small but heres a link at what this guy did he's got some flying videos of this plane too
LX F-22 Raptor V3 Build, DIY modifications, easy to do! (9 min 44 sec)

As for the looks.. the photos and videos of the F-22 make it look ugly.. when it's next to you it's beautiful

oh.. and the F-22 is the plane that got me into FLYing .. no trainer no nothing.. NEed to say more about how well it flies ? ? ?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:01 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Pavcon,

Seems like a nice plane. You think this will be my best choice as a EDF jet to get started in over all the other EDF's Banana sells?

So the first first plane you got was this F-22? Did you ever fly a plane of any kind before? Seems alittle pricey and risky for damage as a first plane!

Is this thing reliable with the stock electronics and parts with the RTF kit? How is the retract landing gear and this one? Any upgrades needed to make it work better like is needed with the sky surfer? Any problems I should know about? What kind of flight times can I get with the stock battery?

With that battery box upgrade video you showed me. What is the max size batt that will fit in this plane and still have room for all the elctronics? What kind of flight times can I get with the max battery?

Thanks for your help!

John
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
YEs I believe that and so many others that took my advice.
Yes the F-22 was my First plane EVER. it's my trainer . Never flown any kind of trainer before. I just put 3 hours a day of simulator time with my realflight G4 for 10 days on a mig-15 which was the only EDF available in the sim.

YEs it's alittle pricey but worths every penny.. get it in the air.. climb up and remove 3/4 of throttle and see it cruise better than a trainer.

As for the electronics I never had a simple Issue. I would advice you to get your own radio since you desided to stay in this hobby. i wasn't buying a good radio till I lost my A-10 due to the stock FM radio.
As for the servos the truth is I stripped one landing gear servo (the nose wheel when I hard landed it once at the beginning) bu tit was my error. as for the ESC the 50amp esc is not the Best as for hrottle resolution ( I saw a lot of difference and increase in flying time when I exchanged it with my turnigy 80amp because obviously the turnigy has less internal resistance) but I'm still using it in various planes I built. Now it's on a friends lingcat and still working fine.

now with the stock battery if it's not windy and you can cruise easily you can get up to 4mins of flying time.. I got 4 mins and some seconds but it was at the stocks packs limit. I would tell you to get some nanotech 2200mah packs if you are using the stock compartment. I enlarged mine a little bit and fitter a 3000mah pack and got just under five minutes of flying time. In the Deepblue fitter a 4000mah pack in his and I assume on a non windy day (that you have to use more throttle) he would get under 7minutes of flying time.

ofcourse on a windy day your flying times would e considerably lower and if you choose to push it hard...
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:04 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Its aways "how fast", "how upgradeable", "how can i make it go 500mph". Well, actually i haven't heard the last one, but you get the point.

Why can't people take things one step at a time? Worry about upgrading the jet after you are comfortable. And do you really want your first edf to go 100mph??????? thats nuts. Your first jet should be well under 100mph. A jet thats does 100 gets pretty small, pretty quick.

You shouldn't have a problem with the v2, as there is no way any of those jets do near 100mph.

But for now, don't worry if you can stuff a huge battery in it, and upgrade the thing. If you're on the sky surfer, i think you will find any plane over 50mph very fast. upgrade after your an experienced flyer.

Just trying to help.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I also second what Flow said

oh and another thing.. Yes I believe my DX6i made me a better pilot.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:13 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I also second what Flow said

oh and another thing.. Yes I believe my DX6i made me a better pilot.
I also have the dx6i and could not imagine going back to the rtf radios.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:57 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
No need to go nuts here I'm a newbie and just want to make sure I don't get stuck with a plane and I can't do any upgrades in the future.

You guys brought up radios. What's your opinion on the Turnigy 9x radios and receivers?
They sure are a good price and I assume better quality then the RTF kits?

Pavcon,

Thanks for all your input. What would be your second and third choice as good starter EDF's besides the F-22?

You also said the biggest problem with the F-117 V2 is that it's all black. How about the one with the flag painted on the bottom of it any improvement?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
well it's smaller but it makes it alot easier to track ...
but the one with the flag is out of stock ...

now besides the F-22 The F-15 is also a very good floater. then they are the F16 and 18 but they are fast airframes.. try those on a later stage. the good
oh also anw EF2000 and jas39 style is a good fist edf usually... float good but don't know which is fast or not.
don't try to get the fastest plane as your first EDF..

now as for the radio. the turnigy9x looks like a bargain aftertheir firmware update Ive never heard of anything negative but I dont' have personal experience.. you have to read the reviews on the rx/tx.

Personally I was thinking about that radio before my DX6i. now I'm thinking about a DX8 I'm not going back.
well it's not a very expensive radio so If I was short on cah I would give it a try instead of haveing all those radios sitting around. it also has cheap receivers so.. nothing to lose If I were u I would pull the trigger on that and a couple of receivers.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:32 PM
Joined May 2007
2 Posts
Hi I have a F-117a by Parker Leung it was from plans. I have it all built, but don;t have the radio set-up instructions for it so don;t know what to do for the flying surfases what do I have to do to mix??? where can I down load the instructions for the plane ?/ David florida
lostin1960 is offline Find More Posts by lostin1960
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2007
2 Posts
Hi I need the building and setup instructions for the F-117a by Parker Leung it is built from plans from Rc m modler magazine David where can I download them
lostin1960 is offline Find More Posts by lostin1960
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
BZ-117 from Banana Hobby

There's apparently another version of the BZ-117 going for $180 now. The video and nice recommendations found on the web are deceiving. Had I shot the You Tube video I would have recommended not buying this cheap Made-in-China product. While the plane was easy to assemble, the instructions only show diagrams and contain no written text. There's no instruction identifying which direction to install the servo wires into the receiver. My tx doesn't even work after two complete battery changes. There are no instructions how to bind the tx and receiver, although a binding cable is provided, but no instruction how to use it or where to plug it in. This is one cool looking airplane, but my opinion of Banana Hobby is thoroughly tainted with this cheap POS airplane. I'm thoroughly disappointed and recommend nobody buy this BZ-117.
ddobbins is offline Find More Posts by ddobbins
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
you are just a bit
Last edited by pavcon; Jan 02, 2012 at 01:49 PM.