SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:03 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2002
185 Posts
Got one going! 12.7v at 14a while charging 6 4s 2500 packs on a Powerlab 8! Parallel charged all six packs from storage in 50 minutes! Thanks again!!!
DBA-FW is offline Find More Posts by DBA-FW
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:01 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
Got a pair of the supplies outlined by the OP and holy mother of pearl they are loud! If I ever need that much power, I'll probably have to build a sound enclosure for them.

Power is fantastic and they are really small, but...

HP ESP114's (55 amps) are still my favorite for the hanger (also did the fan resistor mod, so they are literally silent).

HP DPS600 PB (47 amps) is still my favorite for the field.

It's all good. Great that we have soooo many choices for very reasonable $$$.
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:16 PM
sportflyer
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2004
348 Posts
Modifying DSP -600PB

I just purchased a HP DSP-600PB B .

I have 2 questions:

a) What is the purpose of the Red latch near the handle ? Anything electronic attached to this or its just a mechanical latch to keep the power supply locked in its housing

I found that i'ts simply a catch .... I did not remove it.

b) Are the pins to be shorted pins 6, 8, 10 ? I read in another article that the pins to be shorted seem to be 8, 9, 10 ? See this link : https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...-how-tos/HP47A

The power supply worked first time when I shorted pins 6 , 8 , 10 so I did not try shorting pins 6 , 9, 10

New inputs:

a) The small fan is quite noisy but since the PS is in my garage I am going to live with it, Actually its not much noisier than the AT power supply just higher pitch sound.

b) I have not loaded it yet. I have only drawn 10 amps from it and it runs so cool.

c) I might consider relocating the green LED to the rear of the PS !

Thanks
sportflyer is online now Find More Posts by sportflyer
Last edited by sportflyer; Nov 19, 2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: New info:
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Anyone tried to put a power switch on a DPS-600PB like a computer power supply has? The red handle is nothing when I had mine apart once just broke it off.

Update I put a switch from 6 to 8/10 shut 12v power off but fan stayed running. Then redid switch from 6/8 to 10 and same 12v off but fan stayed on anyone with ideas. Thought about one of those inline rocker switchs maybe might work. But the biggest one I found is only 10 amps would it work?http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Pass...h-u782963.html
fordman86 is offline Find More Posts by fordman86
Last edited by fordman86; Nov 24, 2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:26 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,763 Posts
Where are you putting it? In the mains supply should be OK.

How do you know that. 10A @ 110V is 1100Watts (roughly - I know it's AC). You won't be drawing even close to that from the PS before it shuts down as it is rated at 575W maximum, so therefore there will not be more than 10A from the mains into the power supply, even allowing for some inefficiency (~85-90% typically) so will be OK to put one of these in the active line. Don't forgot to leave the other two supply wires in place.

If you are putting it in the fan lead it is also OK since these fans only draw an Amp or two but you have to disassemble the PS to connect it, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to do so. These suppplies won't seriously overheat with no load even if you switch the fan off but if you ever forget to switch it on before you load up the supply you will cook it - definitely not good practice.

You CAN"T put one of these in the output wires as you will be passing a lot more than 10A through them, and it wouldn't shut off the fan anyway.

Bottom line - putting a switch in the mains supply is the way to go and one of these is fine. I use a 10A switched mains outlet which is effectively the same thing but all of ours are switched anyway so it was never a problem.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman86 View Post
Anyone tried to put a power switch on a DPS-600PB like a computer power supply has? The red handle is nothing when I had mine apart once just broke it off.

Update I put a switch from 6 to 8/10 shut 12v power off but fan stayed running. Then redid switch from 6/8 to 10 and same 12v off but fan stayed on anyone with ideas. Thought about one of those inline rocker switchs maybe might work. But the biggest one I found is only 10 amps would it work?http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Pass...h-u782963.html
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
I have a converted atx power supply and like how it has a shut off on the back. Bought this DSP-600PB B and noticed it didn't only unplug it to shut off. So wanted a way to hook up a shut off switch to have the same effect as the one on the atw supply. Have the case apart would like a switch on the case but the inline will do I guess.
fordman86 is offline Find More Posts by fordman86
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:44 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,763 Posts
That's cos these guys run 24x7 and a switch is not useful.

You can put a switch on the case. Any mains rated 10A switch would be fine. The ones you get from electronics stores for equipment would be a lot neater than the in-line version. I just looked up this one from Radio Schlock's US on-line catalog at <$3. Only 6A rating but it would do the job and easy to mount. Just drill one hole and cut the active supply wire. There are plenty of variations on these mains switches for equipment.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062520

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman86 View Post
I have a converted atx power supply and like how it has a shut off on the back. Bought this DSP-600PB B and noticed it didn't only unplug it to shut off. So wanted a way to hook up a shut off switch to have the same effect as the one on the atw supply. Have the case apart would like a switch on the case but the inline will do I guess.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Hp dps-600pb b p/n: 321632-501

Hi, I have an HP DPS-600PB B psu which I want to use together with my Hyperion charger. I need to know, where to connect the charger and where to do jumpering.

Regards
Joern
jmf8167 is offline Find More Posts by jmf8167
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:00 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,763 Posts
See Post 312 and 315, 316 and around there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf8167 View Post
Hi, I have an HP DPS-600PB B psu which I want to use together with my Hyperion charger. I need to know, where to connect the charger and where to do jumpering.

Regards
Joern
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:06 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,763 Posts
See post below for info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
I just purchased a HP DSP-600PB B .

I have 2 questions:

<snip>
Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
You guys re-inspired me, so I pulled out the old Dell DPS-500CB 502W supply (41.0A on 12V line) I bought on eBay a year ago and tricked her into working. It took some doing, and in the end it requires that a small load be present when the power supply is fired up. A plugged in charger will do fine, but if at any point the charger is turned completely off for more than a few seconds, the moment it is turned back on, the power supply will cut off.

No biggie, but it took me a while to figure out what was tripping this. Now I've got a 12V/41A supply...if I should ever need it.

For any that may stumble across it - what worked for me (it is a 6 column x 4 row grid), in the end I simply bent and soldered the three pins marked "Y" together:

N N N N N Y
N N N N Y N
N N N Y N N
N N N N N N

Cheers,
David
I have a bunch of these from work out of retired servers and I've shorted the three pins you mentioned. The power supply does turn on but I still don't get 12V off of the blades. is there anything else you had to do?
ifly4fun2 is offline Find More Posts by ifly4fun2
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Edit:
It happily delivered 48A to my charger and voltage was stable.
Part# Dell 7000814-0000

Connect both X's to ground (G):
. . - + . .
G . - + . .
G . - + . X
X . - + . .

Fred
Thanks a bunch man! I these pinouts worked on the two dell server supplies (AA23290 PowerEdge 2800) that I had laying around. Now I have my new 150A/1860W charging beast!
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:54 PM
United States, KS, Ingalls
Joined Feb 2004
110 Posts
Where can I purchase a power cord for the Hp 337867-501 ?
Bahamadude is offline Find More Posts by Bahamadude
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:53 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamadude View Post
Where can I purchase a power cord for the Hp 337867-501 ?
You mean this style?
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hea...=pd_cp_e_0_img

And if you are looking for the power supply itself, this place has them for $39 with free ground shipping.
http://www.serversupply.com/POWER%20...337867-501.htm
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:03 AM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
I just purchased an IBM xSeries 235 server 560W power supply (Model #49P2020) off ebay for $24 shipped. I'm curious what type of power cord I will need for it and I'm also wondering if this is the way I need to wire mine up.
There are so many variations with these power supplies and I don't want to blow it up when it gets here. This is a link to the auction and I will attach a pic of what I found for a reference picture.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1747wt_901
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER