SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
Help choosing the right electronics components

Hi guys,
I want to build a foam model plane, specifically the Blu-Baby Trainer, (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556), and right now i have no idea what kind of electronics is required to get this up in the air.
I know that I'll need some ESC/Motor combo and a propeller but my problem is I don't know what to buy or where to start.

First of I'm wondering would the foam sold in Home Depot, or any other 'big stores' works? My local hobby store doesn't have any for me.

Right now i have a 30A brushless ESC and a 3 cells 1600 mAh lipo battery, but no motor, so what kind of motor should I look at that will fit the 24 in. version of the Blu-Baby? And also what propeller would i also need to buy?

Also what kind of other components will i need to build this? I am new to RC planes and this will be my first ever model built from scratch.

Thanks in advance!
khangkhung21 is offline Find More Posts by khangkhung21
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2015, 04:22 PM
Registered User
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,155 Posts
Best to ask about the motor/propeller in that Blu-Baby thread. To me your 30A ESC and 3S 1600mAh lipo sound a bit too big for a 24" version but I'm no expert on the Blu-Baby.

You'll also need a receiver and servos (and a transmitter if you don't already have one).

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:34 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khangkhung21 View Post
Hi guys,
I want to build a foam model plane, specifically the Blu-Baby Trainer, (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556), and right now i have no idea what kind of electronics is required to get this up in the air.
I know that I'll need some ESC/Motor combo and a propeller but my problem is I don't know what to buy or where to start.

First of I'm wondering would the foam sold in Home Depot, or any other 'big stores' works? My local hobby store doesn't have any for me.

Right now i have a 30A brushless ESC and a 3 cells 1600 mAh lipo battery, but no motor, so what kind of motor should I look at that will fit the 24 in. version of the Blu-Baby? And also what propeller would i also need to buy?

Also what kind of other components will i need to build this? I am new to RC planes and this will be my first ever model built from scratch.

Thanks in advance!
Are you in the USA ? If so , many scratch builders use white foam board from the Dollar Tree Store ( $1 for a 20" x 30" sheet ) , just peel the paper skins off .

If this will be your very first scratch build , you can get the BB kit from Ken's Cad Models - comes with a hardware package . Before assembling the kit , you could trace the foam pieces to make templates for additional BB airframes . He lists the recommended electronics on this page :

http://www.kenscadmodels.com/blu-baby.html

You can get those electronics ( with the connectors already soldered on ) at HeadsUp RC - HURC brand . They list the recommended prop , battery and ESC for their motors .

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-300...otor-H-650.htm
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:58 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2015
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

So would these combo works? a 1600Kv motor with an 18 amps motor and a RD-8043 props.
khangkhung21 is offline Find More Posts by khangkhung21
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:31 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khangkhung21 View Post
Thanks for the replies!

So would these combo works? a 1600Kv motor with an 18 amps motor and a RD-8043 props.
This is what Ken's Cad Models recommends for the BB :
Motor - 24g 1700 Kv
ESC - 10A
Propeller - GWS 8 x 4.3 SF
Battery - 850 mAh 2s

you can get those electronics at HeadsUp RC :

Motor ( 1600 kv is close enough to 1700 kv ) : http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-300...otor-H-650.htm

ESC ( 10 amp is enough if using a 2S battery ) : http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-10-...-ESC-G-640.htm

Prop :
http://www.headsuphobby.com/GWS-8043...Prop-G-810.htm

Battery ( 800mah is close enough to 850mah ) :
http://www.headsuphobby.com/74v-800m...tery-F-109.htm

So are you in the USA ? It's easier to help you if we know where you live - USA , Europe , Australia ..... ?
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2015, 07:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2015
3 Posts
Sorry. I live in the USA. Have some hobby stores around where i live but it is a long drive to the ones where they may have the electronics I need. My local one is small and have mostly RC cars stuffs.
khangkhung21 is offline Find More Posts by khangkhung21
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2015, 08:19 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khangkhung21 View Post
Sorry. I live in the USA. Have some hobby stores around where i live but it is a long drive to the ones where they may have the electronics I need. My local one is small and have mostly RC cars stuffs.
Cool ! HeadsUp RC will deliver in the USA 48 contiguous states for a $2 flat rate standard shipping , or a $5 flat rate for express shipping .

Blue Baby is an excellent choice for a first RC plane . Another good choice is the EzFly , the big advantage of the EzFly is the motor/prop are protected in a nose first crash .
You can get a foam kit at Fancy Foam , or the plans are here on RC Groups .

EzFly kit , $30 for the UNPAINTED kit ( you have to deselect "painted" ) :
http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...Kit_p_105.html

Or here are the plans :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1334660760

Here is one of my EzFlys that I use to teach first timers :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Can we move on from choo choo trains now? plowboy1966 Life, The Universe, and Politics 26 Mar 31, 2011 08:34 PM
Discussion Completed Project Choo...Choo... freddy warbird Life, The Universe, and Politics 9 Mar 27, 2011 04:00 PM
Help me find this electronic component ChrisT88 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 1 Jan 08, 2004 08:15 PM
Help with electronic components blfinche Modeling Science 10 Nov 09, 2003 11:01 AM