HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2015, 05:02 PM
Old Duffer
United States, ME, Portland
Joined Feb 2013
358 Posts
Build Log
CG 40 Foot UTB

More years ago than I care to admit I was introduced to the "40 Boat" in Toledo Ohio.
This class of boat has always been a favorite of mine and I asked "Barracuda" to cut out some pieces for me. I could have cut them myself, but it seemed expedient to send them some drawings on a "stick" and ask Alex to cut out the major pieces on his CNC. The frames still have to be beveled fore and aft, and some finessing is necessary, but Alex will be the first to tell you that their kits are not all-inclusive. You have to know your subject, and build a lot of smaller components from scratch. "Barracuda" does provide a fast way to develop a hull though, and that is what appealed to me. I purchased two kits. This first one that I'll describe here is to experiment with, then I'll get serious with the second one.
The Coast Guard 40 Foot Utility Boat had two 6-71 inline diesel engines. (Back in the time when I was introduced to the boat, the engines were branded "GM". Since they had so many applications in the industry "GM" was changed to "Detroit Diesel" so someone didn't get offended having a GM product in their non GM equipment. )
Anyway, two engines that really sounded cool, an open helm, and (in my eyes) a really good looking boat.
Here's how it's shaping up:
Garboard is offline Find More Posts by Garboard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 05:09 PM
United States, NJ, Waldwick
Joined Jan 2009
185 Posts
Brings back memories, Looking good and the best way (at least in our eyes) to run one was to sit on the towing screen and steer with your feet.
MKC Syd is offline Find More Posts by MKC Syd
Old Mar 09, 2015, 05:43 PM
Old Duffer
Joined Feb 2013
358 Posts
Thank you Chief! I agree, I had some really good times and some really bad times on a 40 boat. You're probably aware, but there's some pretty good shots on "Forties Forever" on "Youtube".
Old Mar 09, 2015, 06:26 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,740 Posts
I'm watching . I talked to Alex about the 40 footer, hope to get one sooner, or later.

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Mar 09, 2015, 07:03 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,236 Posts
Fabulous. I always liked the lines on this craft and it's always been a very visible boat since Dumas has offered it for years.

Don't see too many of them.
Harquebus is online now Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Altering the Tug Hull
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:45 PM
Old Duffer
Joined Feb 2013
358 Posts
The Dumas kit is 3/4" scale, and has a rounded chine. I don't know if the wooden 40 boats were built this way, (they were even before my time! ) but the MK I through MK IV steel boats had hard chines. The Dumas running gear provides a couple of nylon two blade wheels, (the MK IV had two 21"X 17" three blade wheels,)

The Barracuda kit is 40" (1/12" scale) and hard chine cut on the lines of the later (MK IV) boats. I have no idea how many 40's are left. Most were cut up for scrap. The 41' relieved the 40's and were/are much more user-friendly, but (IMHO) don't have the style of the old 40's. Two of the 40's are restored that I'm aware of, and one bare hull was in "Boats And Harbors" a few issues ago. It didn't re-appear in a subsequent issue so hopefully someone bought it and are restoring it as well.

This boat will have two independent motors, ESC's, lights, and a sound system based on an actual 6-71 starting, running, and shutting down.
My building process with this is a little different than normal, but the end result will hopefully be recognizable as what it's supposed to represent........ CG 40545.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 09:47 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,882 Posts
The Dumas kit is an odd scale of 7/8" = 1', roughly 1:14 scale. Dumas accurately followed the USCG plans for the wooden 40' hulls.

A good, but expensive, reference book is "American Coastal Rescue Craft" by William D. Wilkinson and CDR Timothy R. Dring, USNR (Retired). The book has a CD with lots more info that would have made the book much more expensive if it were printed. The info on the 40' UTB is on pages 220-231 of the CD. Some of the info is where the boats were stationed; and it's interesting to see where each boat was at. Here are a few examples:
40457 - Boston, Flecthers Neck, Ketchikan
40404 - Ellis Island PSSTA, Norfolk, Crisfield MD
40497 - Woods Hole, Islamorada FL
40580 - Oswego NY, San Diego
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:25 AM
Old Duffer
Joined Feb 2013
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob View Post
The Dumas kit is an odd scale of 7/8" = 1', roughly 1:14 scale. Dumas accurately followed the USCG plans for the wooden 40' hulls.............
Agreed.

The old wooden hulls were a nice looking boat as well, but I never had the chance to see/work on any of them.

What still seems amusing to me is in spite of the boats being "class standard" it appears every bosun had a different idea as to painting particularly where the boot topping was concerned. Some started above the spray shield, some just under the shield, and others several inches below the under side. The non-skid on the deck also seemed to be a local decision.

I know they were used and abused, but with the numbers that were built, I'd like to think there's a few besides the restored ones that escaped the torch.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 03:30 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,882 Posts
That's because the Coating and Color Manual (USCG Painting book) offered some lee way with regards to things like spray rails and fenders.

From the 1965 version of the manual:
"On steel or plastic vessels the boot-topping area shall be defined as follows: the bottom edge of the boot-topping shall coincide with the light load waterline of the vessel. The top edge of the boot-topping shall, at amidships, be above the full load waterline a distance equal to 1/4 the freeboard measured to the full load waterline. At the bow the height of the top edge of the boot-topping above the full load waterline shall be equal to twice that amidships. At the stern the height of the top edge of the boot-topping above the full load waterline shall be equal to that amidships.

Where rubbing rails or spray rails located along the quarter of the vessel interfere with or lie close to the top edge of the boot-topping, the height of the boot-topping shall be adjusted the minimum amount to be either completely above or completely below the rubbing or spray rails and shall normally be parallel to these rails."

IIRC, the last two revisions, stated the measurement at the bow is equal to 1.33 times the amidships distance; and the stern measurement is .66 times the amidships distance.

Sometimes the BMC would have the paint match the top edge of the spray rail; his relief would have the line match the lower edge of the same spray rail.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:29 PM
United States, NJ, Waldwick
Joined Jan 2009
185 Posts
Not positive, but I believe that I was told that there is a group on or new Staten Island NY that is restoring some.
MKC Syd is offline Find More Posts by MKC Syd
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:36 PM
Old Duffer
Joined Feb 2013
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKC Syd View Post
Not positive, but I believe that I was told that there is a group on or new Staten Island NY that is restoring some.
That's probably the "Bugsy" Moran, Ken Southerland "Forties Forever" group that put up the youtube vids. I know they're from the NY/NJ area.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:55 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,882 Posts
The deck colors were apparently another area that had some options. either Spar (Buff) or Deck Gray (Blue Gray).
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:23 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,236 Posts
I know some of these had large front windows while others like CG Bob's pics had the narrow, 'gun slit' style windows. Are the narrow windows an early or late feature and/or associated with only steel or wood construction?

Which variant are you building, Garboard?
Harquebus is online now Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Harquebus; Mar 11, 2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:19 AM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
822 Posts
I spent most of my teens on a 40 foot trawler with a 6-71. (Sea Scouts)
Great sound....

Detroit Diesel 6-71 Gray Marine Boat Engine (3 min 11 sec)

DH
CaptDH is offline Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:41 AM
Old Duffer
Joined Feb 2013
358 Posts
Bob, I know generally speaking the southern districts had the option of using the buff on the 30' and 40' UTB's, I'm surprised the option wasn't extended to the 82's and 95's. It may have been, but I never saw it. My 82' was out of Canaveral and we had the gray decks.

Harque, I'm building this boat to replicate the first one I ever worked on back in '63 which had the large windows. I can't explain the criterion for the windows, but wouldn't be surprised if it was governed by local sea conditions and missions and left up to the command. I'm trying to decide whether or not to use the CG "racing stripe". When I was introduced to the 40545 the stripe hadn't come out yet, and the hull was white with black lettering. I have to say though that the stripe makes a visual statement on the hulls.

DH, add ten feet of exhaust pipe, the sea water discharge, and put it at water level and you have music! In the video I thought the engine hunted a little longer than it should have, and don't know if he was going to get it out with an external adjustment. My guess was the rack needed a little tweaking because one injector was just a dite tight. I used <http://youtu.be/AOMW80FkLUQ> for the sound byte for this boat.