HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2015, 08:19 PM
Goodnight Irene
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,566 Posts
Cycled the NiCad RX battery twice. Right at 300Mah where it was two years ago.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2015, 09:32 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2007
7 Posts
Mmmm. after 30 minutes of flying my Topsky 3, I decided to see how it would launch in speed mode. Trouble is I got my flight modes mixed up and my speed mode was anything but - it was actually an excessive thermal mode (about 4mm of down aileron). Imagine one big half loop, and it happened so quick after release, I couldn't correct. The Topsky zoomed over my head and then went nose first straight into the ground at full speed. Actually, the damage wasn't too bad, fuselage servo's were eviscerated, and slight cracking of the fuselage and boom. Fuselage is intact, but I hope a small wrap of carbon fiber around the crack in the boom will do the trick.

Guess I should be happy I'm learning with a Topsky, and not something that costs twice as much.
mattress67 is offline Find More Posts by mattress67
Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2014
55 Posts
Ouch!

Took the Stobel V2 and the heavy Stream (10.3 oz) out to the HG landing zone in Sylmar. Windy nearly all day so the Stream was the best. Had a few Poker all-ins (10 minutes).

Later nearly crashed the Stream with some bad wind gust, but got it under control only to have it flip over. Looks like the servo horns are trying to pull the carbon skin off the flaperon. Have some minor repair to do.

Later when the wind died, out came the Stobel. Nice light thermals until the sun started to set. Temps in the high 80's I think.

Flying hang gliders tomorrow likely, looks like another 5.5k day, Friday got to 9.3k and a 60k triangle task.
jachipman is offline Find More Posts by jachipman
Old Yesterday, 02:25 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
5,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
well today i ordered some battery's, an servos for my Elf that i ordered yesterday. guess that means ive been doing A LOT of brain flying. believe it or not i had a 50 meter launch with my Elf. caught 1 thermal after another. no altimeter so i don't know how high i got what a flight it was.

remember im flying in my head. could you imagine a 50 meter launch with a Elf?! im a firm believer that if your going to dream... dream BIG.

ya just having fun, but that's all i can do currently. this is going to be a big change from E gliders.
Well, many top athletes use visualling techniques so maybe you will throw that elf right up to 50 metres for real.
Mighty try it myself, think 300 feet instead of 100ft.
The change from E gliders is not so big, but dlg is defo a lot more fun when weather is right, but it can be very frustrating when it not and then the E gliders come out to play to power up higher into better conditions.......
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Cycled the NiCad RX battery twice. Right at 300Mah where it was two years ago.

Ken
nicads ? toxic relics of a time before better options

the last of mine are gently rusting in the recycle jar awaiting disposal
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattress67 View Post
Mmmm. after 30 minutes of flying my Topsky 3, I decided to see how it would launch in speed mode. Trouble is I got my flight modes mixed up and my speed mode was anything but - it was actually an excessive thermal mode (about 4mm of down aileron). Imagine one big half loop, and it happened so quick after release, I couldn't correct.
like premature detachment in the vertical on a hi-start, the solution is full up and complete a distorted loop, and then use the excess speed in a brief circuit to burn it off

then go again

but depending on experience, it all happens rather fast, and sometimes a pilot will "freeze"

i tend to do that as i head for obstructions (lighting poles are my nemesis - i avoid trees very conservatively), and can't decide if i have a better chance of clearance one side of the other... at least you get to slide down most poles if you hit them just right
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,512 Posts
I got out for an hour this morning. I was happy with my launches. According to the HK / FlyDream altimeter I was typically throwing 110' (34m) or more, with a half dozen to 130' (40m). Not bad with the 32" (0.81m) plane. The flights were unspectacular despite what looked like a good day....sunny, light wind, and most of the snow has melted off the fields, so thermals should have been popping. (there is a 2400 acre lake adjacent to the fields that is still frozen and snow covered, so maybe that mass of cold is affecting the atmosphere?) Longest flight was 1:45, rarely climbing above launch height. A few flights took me to 160' (49m) briefly, and a few I was able to hold launch height for a minute or so. Most were 60 second up and down flights. Out of practice after the long winter; need to get out more.

- Jim
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,825 Posts
I imagine that loop was so fast no time for anything. I did that once and the incoming noise was so violent I dropped to all fours. Right over my head twice before I even saw it. Luckily on the third its landing wasn't to nose in. Had a bluebird epic air day with a buddy. No breeze but thermal draws for two hours. Flew my 2 cx2's. Those are pretty in a blue sky
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2013
73 Posts
Took my heavily glassed hobbyking mini composite too Viera just south of Rockledge, FL while visiting my dad. There is this road going behind a high school that is about overpass high. Throwing that mini in the 12+ m/s wind with all its extra weight was fun. I had a good time riding the lift coming off the side of the "hill".

All was good until I set it down a little too hard and separated the boom from the pod. When I glassed the pod to fix a prior accident I epoxied the holes where the screws go in to attach the boom. They pulled right out. I'll have to try a different way of making the mounting area.

I just got a storm prototype. I'm still not confident enough to throw it. I should have taken it with me because on Saturday I had the opportunity to talk to Dillon Graves and Jeff Duval while at a FSS glider event. I haven't had a chance to fly with my local dlg group and it would have been a good opportunity to get some help with getting the plane up and building confidence.

I'm headed down to Cocoa again next weekend so if anyone down that way is going to fly and wouldn't mind having a noob pummel them with questions then I would love to come fly.
mikejr83 is online now Find More Posts by mikejr83