Old Mar 08, 2008, 04:51 PM
Shallow Water Sailor
Clearwater, FL
Joined Feb 2007
55 Posts
Gallery
US Coast Guard on maneuvers

Hello all,

Just wanted to share a few shots I took today on the lake. This is my Midwest 47ft MLB 47304.

Enjoy
EricPW is offline Find More Posts by EricPW
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2008, 05:39 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,586 Posts
Looks good! It's painted in aluminum color?

Makes me want to finish mine!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 08, 2008, 06:12 PM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SoCal
Joined Jul 2007
706 Posts
that is cool!!! i have always wanted to build one of those.. KMOT u have one!! if u ever finish it i would love to see it out there at hansen!

P.S. nice paint job!! every well done
Reid is offline Find More Posts by Reid
Old Mar 09, 2008, 11:55 AM
Shallow Water Sailor
Clearwater, FL
Joined Feb 2007
55 Posts
Aluminum color is the most accurate color for the fleet. When the 47's first were under evaluation some were white (perhaps the first 4 to 6 units), but maintenance was more of an issue than it was worth, so natural aluminum (with some parts shined daily) was the answer. A lot of 41' UTB's out there are aluminum too, so keep that in mind for you Dumas kit builders.
Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:33 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
Did you use the running gear and motors that came with the kit or did you upgrade?
I like the way it looks, especially when banking. Good looking boat!
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Mar 09, 2008, 01:21 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
KMOT u have one!! if u ever finish it i would love to see it out there at hansen!
When I finish it you will definitely be able to see it at Hansen.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 09, 2008, 01:25 PM
Shallow Water Sailor
Clearwater, FL
Joined Feb 2007
55 Posts
The Canadian Scheme looks real nice. I used the stock motors, but created a different motor mount plate, and upgraded to more scale 4 blade raboesch props. I use two 3300 NiMH packs and a Novak Rooster ESC. Only two channels, as those props being so close together didn't do much on their own.
The boat will bank so hard that it will dig the recovery wells in and almost turn on a dime... a little too fast for scale, but great fun.
Old Mar 09, 2008, 01:46 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,781 Posts
ERIC PW- What paint did you use for the aluminum color on the hull? Was it spray paint in the can? I am in the process of figuring out how to open up the cabin structure so I can open up the windows with glass so I can super detail the inside of the cabin. If you can tell me what paint you used for the aluminum, one of my problems is solved.
Your model really looks great, and it get up and go looks pretty good too! CG BOB probably has the correct specs, but I think the real 47 Lifeboat can out run the 41 utility, so your boat looks just about right looking at the wake pattern.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Mar 09, 2008, 02:41 PM
Shallow Water Sailor
Clearwater, FL
Joined Feb 2007
55 Posts
The 47 can out run the 41, but both engines are governed way down, especially the 41's cummins diesels.

I used Testors Silver Laquer spray cans for the hull and cabin, but the anti foul black is painted with TopFlite fuel proof spray. The way it "weathers" when in water is perfect and it is a tough coating. Most 47's have white anti foul with a black boot top, would stand out if you painted her that way.

CGBOB: I am heading to CGC Vise this summer, weren't you at Group (sector) St Pete a few years ago?

Eric
Old Mar 09, 2008, 07:58 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,778 Posts
I was the CWO in Facilities Engineering at Air Sta Clearwater from 1998-2002. When you get over to the sunset side of the state, check in with the Bay Area Electric Boaters.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob