SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:08 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1164.html Hey Miller, this will give you an idea of what you would need to equip the plane. It is pretty cool looking but a little out of my budget.
spaceinvader is online now Find More Posts by spaceinvader
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:27 PM
teaching to learn
United States, NC, Greenville
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
Thanks space. It looks like my initial suspicion on the previous page is confirmed. The two hundred fifty is airframe only, the 3 hundred and change includes only the esc and motor. Either way I'd have to purchase the rx, servos, wires, and prop assembly.

This will be my first balsa set up so please forgive me if I'm a bit under - informed at the moment. How would one go about getting pushrods for this bird? I'm certain that they don't come with the servos because I've replaced many of those in my existing rigs. Any ideas?
millerr74 is online now Find More Posts by millerr74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my birds
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:32 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerr74 View Post
Thanks space. It looks like my initial suspicion on the previous page is confirmed. The two hundred fifty is airframe only, the 3 hundred and change includes only the esc and motor. Either way I'd have to purchase the rx, servos, wires, and prop assembly.

This will be my first balsa set up so please forgive me if I'm a bit under - informed at the moment. How would one go about getting pushrods for this bird? I'm certain that they don't come with the servos because I've replaced many of those in my existing rigs. Any ideas?
I would think that it would come with hardware as part of the kit.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,164 Posts
I don't know, Miller...
That P6E Hawk is a good looking plane but all spec's point to a heavy airframe that potentially could be a bear to fly.
Perhaps not the best choice for a first Balsa.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:48 PM
teaching to learn
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
That sounds like intelligent advice China d. Then what's more appropriate in your opinion?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerr74 View Post
That sounds like intelligent advice China d. Then what's more appropriate in your opinion?
My first balsa biplane was/is the GP Sopwith Camel.
I still have but it's in need of a cowl.
I found that the spec motor to be a bit wanting and so hopped her to my liking.
Unfortunately, GP has discontinued that line of small balsa bipes.
That being said...you, coming from a foamy background, I would suggest as a first balsa biplane an airframe that you're familiar with.
How about another Tiger Moth.?
I know, I know....it's a Hobby King plane but the size is nice and you can pick out your own powerplant, which is a bonus if you ask me.
It'll be close to $300 complete and delivered.
However, I can't really vouch for that plane in particular since I've never actually flown it but a TM is a TM.
There are a lot tricks to keeping a balsa plane strong and tight. Plus they look great all the time and tend not to suffer from hanger rash.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:46 AM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
I don't know, Miller...
That P6E Hawk is a good looking plane but all spec's point to a heavy airframe that potentially could be a bear to fly.
Perhaps not the best choice for a first Balsa.
I disagree, the new style of interlocking forms, keeps the weight down, it looked to be very light in the video, It wouldn't matter that much with the right set up, My cloud dancer is a great flying plane, very light wing loading, makes it hard to land, it would just float by on idle. with your experience Miller I'd go for it
slam555 is online now Find More Posts by slam555
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:30 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,164 Posts
Read the review in model Aviation magazine and read the comments at the bottom.
The wing loading specs are incorrectly listed.
It's actually quite a bit lighter.
I suspect it will fly like a Waco but needing a bit more power on landing.
She'll still be a pretty penny when complete.

Edit: ooops... I see BrownEyedFool already gave a link to the article. Oh well...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Aug 25, 2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:08 AM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,096 Posts
Millerr74 please choose the new P-6E Hawk from GP
The P-6E is a beautiful plane and you have biplane experience , so it would be a great unbiased opinion about the plane , as you compare it to all of the other biplanes that you have . Thanks
wattman is online now Find More Posts by wattman
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,164 Posts
On second thought, I'm with Wattman....
Go ahead and pick one up.
I'm fully confident you'll have it flying the way it should.
It's just money..... and pride.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM
teaching to learn
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
Thanks for all of the thoughts and advice. I have the magazine as it's free with ama membership and I read the article last month when it arrived.

Now money and pride.... I've got lots of one and very little of the other. I'm in public education so you guys can do the math (I love puns!)

I have a very strong suspicion that I'll be adding this one to my hangar in the next few months. If I spread out the orders among a few paychecks it should be a bit easier on the wallet.

I'll be sure to keep you guys posted and will be open to more advice and suggestions along the way.

Thanks again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:13 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,606 Posts
The more I think about it you are the exact target market for that P-6E millerr74.

Many people flying bipes in that size range tend to prefer to stick with foam, many others who prefer balsa and accept the increased cost involved tend to go bigger. A lot of guys who really appreciate scale tend to go to kits.

Looking around there are some places for decent quality balsa biplanes in the rough 40-50" size window. Maxford has a number of bipes, their Stearman is on sale right now for example. Horizon has a 54" Ultimate by Seagull, a 44" Stearman, and a 54" Christen Eagle. Tower has the Hawk, an ultimate and a little 35" Dumas Waco.

Really that Hawk may be the best choice for size, scale, construction and uncommon enough to be interesting for you.

edit:
Actually thought of another site worth looking at, Hobby Express, which used to be Hobby Lobby. And found something that may interest you as well:
http://www.hobbyexpress.com/1_8_scal...33328_prd1.htm

I've never seen one of these in the field, but I think Pilot has a good rep for quality though I can't be certain. Hell, get em all.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,164 Posts
I really don't think that one should have trepidation about balsa planes.
To me, I really do think they fly better but in reality, aerodynamics is aerodynamics.
Foam flies as well.
Balsa is a little trickier to repair but usually it's nothing more than some epoxy, CA and wooden coffee stirs can't fix.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:02 PM
teaching to learn
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
I really don't think that one should have trepidation about balsa planes.
To me, I really do think they fly better but in reality, aerodynamics is aerodynamics.
Foam flies as well.
Balsa is a little trickier to repair but usually it's nothing more than some epoxy, CA and wooden coffee stirs can't fix.
Yes. I'm not too worried about the materials involved. I just wanted to get to where I am now as far as bringing them down every time without tipping a wing or over shooting. I got to where it was only on occasion and eventually those occasions stopped.... so now I'm not worried about tearing something up that would have previously wrinkled some foam wing tip or bent a landing gear strut. Sure, I'll wreck something again at some point, but when I do it will be monumental. It will be on a level that would annihilate any material from foam, to balsa, to fiberglass.

I presume that I'll start ordering the components next week with my September paycheck, and continue until November or December. So, don't expect any maiden report until at the least after Halloween
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:13 PM
United States, GA, Kathleen
Joined Dec 2007
343 Posts
Miller, I have been looking at the P-6E pretty hard myself. They appear to be out of stock at the moment, not due in till October. I was teaching at Wright Patterson AFB a few months ago and took this picture of the P-6E during a quick visit at the museum. I will be watching with interest if you build one!

johrich
johrich is offline Find More Posts by johrich