HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
47 Posts
Discussion
Blade 450 3D spools up after switching TH

Hey, everyone out there today i bought my first real rc helicopter. It was the blade 450 3D. Anyways I am using a spektrum dx6i transmitter, and to make a long story short I read the manual for the blade 450 3D and I MADE SURE that everything was set due to the intermediate settings on the manual. Like for example my throttle curve and pitch curve are all at what the manual said to put. Anyways after making sure everything was perfect I took out the helicopter for it's first flight and right when i would release the throttle hold it would start spooling up... So after that i took another 15 minutes and re programmed eveything exactly to the T on the manual and rebinded and tried again. So if anyone could help me I would very much appreciate it!
themoonkity is offline Find More Posts by themoonkity
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:51 PM
Bugger, i broke it again!
Australia, VIC, Shepparton
Joined Jun 2011
157 Posts
Sounds like you might be in idle up.
On the right hand side at the top of the transmitter, the toggle switch should be flipped away from you.
I cant remember what happens on the screen of the dx6i but i think you will also get an icon that says MIX when the idle up switch is active.
Adge82 is offline Find More Posts by Adge82
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
47 Posts
Sadly it is not in idle up... On the monitor screen it shows that my throttle is barely above low also
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:38 PM
Bugger, i broke it again!
Australia, VIC, Shepparton
Joined Jun 2011
157 Posts
does it seem like its going to throttle up and really spin or does it just kinda engage the motor a little at 0 throttle?
Perhaps remove your main blades for further testing. Dont want the thing taking off on the kitchen table.
Adge82 is offline Find More Posts by Adge82
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:25 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,264 Posts
Not familiar with the Blade 450, but have you set the throttle endpoints on the ESC?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:14 AM
United States, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Jan 2012
283 Posts
are you plugging the battery in with the th switch on.take the blades off and plug the bat in and see if the motor doesnt spool up.had an esc once that acted that way.and throttle end point check is a good idea.i always make sure throttle is in the down position,plug the battery in and once esc is comp its initialazation then hit th.
mmracecars is online now Find More Posts by mmracecars
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmracecars View Post
are you plugging the battery in with the th switch on.take the blades off and plug the bat in and see if the motor doesnt spool up.had an esc once that acted that way.and throttle end point check is a good idea.i always make sure throttle is in the down position,plug the battery in and once esc is comp its initialazation then hit th.
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was the problem thanks for the help! Haha who could think the problem was just that simple? I was always told to put throttle hold on when i plug in the battery, but obviously not in my case... Anyways thank you so much man I never would have figured that out :]
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:02 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoonkity View Post
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was the problem thanks for the help! Haha who could think the problem was just that simple? I was always told to put throttle hold on when i plug in the battery, but obviously not in my case... Anyways thank you so much man I never would have figured that out :]
You was told correctly. Always turn TH on before plugging in the batt.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:21 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,264 Posts
That's a weird ESC. I sometimes have the throttle hold on when I turn on the heli and that's not enough to set the lower endpoint. The endpoint setting is only supposed to be triggered when you're above mid stick o_0
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:27 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,311 Posts
The DX6i with the throttle trim centered has a differential between the throttle hold low, and the normal modes low.
So if you plug in the lipo in throttle hold, the esc detects that as low throttle. Then you switch to normal mode, and it see's a higher throttle. So it spins slowly.
Several easy ways to fix this:
--plug in the lipo in normal mode, then switch on throttle hold.
--raise the throttle hold setting to match the normal modes low throttle.
You can use the monitor screen to see if there is a throttle jump between normal mode, and throttle hold.

I wish they would reprogram the DX6i, this catches so many people.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 10, 2013, 04:49 AM
ridgeline
United States
Joined Mar 2013
23 Posts
The same thing happen to me with the DX7s.
ridge is offline Find More Posts by ridge
Old May 20, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Apr 2013
11 Posts
In your tx throttle curve make sure the Hold is at 10% then this will tell the ecs low stick position when plugging in the lipo, which will allow the use Hold.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rick
Rickcrash12 is offline Find More Posts by Rickcrash12
Old May 21, 2013, 01:16 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Wouldn't just setting the esc calibration for low and high throttle solve this? I don't think it should perform like this assuming the throttle hold value is the lowest value for throttle meaning zero (or with some radios far below 0 or -100).

I would consider switching on throttle hold before connecting the lipo a very good habit.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old May 22, 2013, 08:00 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,311 Posts
No calibration of the ESC is not the issue. The issue is the ESC auto sets low throttle on power up. Also, the DX6I has a built in offset from normal mode to throttle hold, when the trim is centered.
Setting the Throttle hold to 10% is not always the correct number. My older DX6I was closer to 17%, while my newer one was close to 10%. You can plug in a servo to see if it moves when switched, or watch the monitor screen.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob