HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:54 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,247 Posts
I think you broke the main gear on that landing.
It seems 6S?

Many months later I still have not completed my "re-furbishing" of my F-16
Though I now have a different motor/EDF setups to change to, for 7S use.
It probably only needs 8hrs work, so I should get back onto it.....
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:35 AM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
983 Posts
Hey, I'm really pleased that this thread is alive once more!

I used the fishing trace trick on my landing gear. Works a treat in distributing the landing loads through the main-gear legs. Disappears in the air and at one stage I even considered using it with an arrestor hook/wire system on the runway (but then discounted it on asymmetric trapping grounds).

Might be worth consideration for heavier setups like you're considering (but not the arrestor, obviously!).
FOX ONE! is offline Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:57 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,247 Posts
I have a plywood nose gear/underbelly sub-frame, and alloy 'main gear plate' which makes sure the only way a main gear leg is going to 'change angle' is if the retract or oleo actually break! LOL
So if it crashed, or had some form of crash landing, that would (could) happen... but for all other cases from 'normal' to 'quite a bad landing' it can't break and the suspension must take all forces. eg total spring compression.
This all came about because of how much effort is needed to actually make a truly adequate F-16 gear mount setup - one that WILL last under all expected conditions. Which the stock setup is not even 10% up that ladder!

My whole underbelly is actually a 'sub-frame' thus the three gear points are interlinked like a car chassis and the rest of the plane just 'sits on top' like a car's shell/body.
I messed up the 'joint system' of underbody/frame to upper plane, with a lack of forethought that didn't account for what happens if a 3mm bolt (of the 6 used) strips/jams in the captive nut.....
It is all inaccessible when assembled, so I can't get that one bolt/joint out/apart! Not without some notable hacking, and then repairing/rebuilding whatever I have to cut out..... sigh.
This is why it was left "stalled" - I keep looking and thinking over ideas.... coming up with none... so I leave it until the next time I look at it.
I usually reach a point where a 'light bulb' comes on and I see the way to do it best..... But that has not occurred yet. hehe

It has been ages, with no easy solution turning up...... I should just cut/hack it apart (that one 'stuck' joint left) and do whatever I need to do.
It has been sitting there WAY too long!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:25 PM
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jul 2013
72 Posts
Hello Foxone,
The especifications and some building pictures are in the first video:
F 16 Starmax 90mm ripollet BCN (6 min 51 sec)

Hello PeterVRC,
Yes, the main gear only lost epoxy in the internal aspect of the wood. 15 minutes after was in the air againĦĦ, and yes is on 6S 5000 45C. 5 minutes of flight. If you restart your F-16 post pictures, very interesting in your landing gear system.
MFGEDF is offline Find More Posts by MFGEDF
Old Jul 13, 2014, 06:14 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,247 Posts
You could just 'wrap' an alloy plate around the belly, from retract to retract. Just 0.5mm or so thickness would do. eg 80mm length fore-aft. Clamped under the retract unit itself.
This forms a super solid sub-frame that and splaying, or even any leg direction motion, could not exceed.
RCG Plus Member