SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:34 AM
USA, CA, Watsonville
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Discussion
ESC Question ** Magister **

I inherited a new garage sale Multiplex Magister. I has a new 680 brushed motor installed. I would like to use my Lipo battery in this plane, but it appears that the ESC and Motor are looking for a different voltage. Installing a modern ESC (3 wire) wont work with this (2 wire) brushed 680 motor. ? correct?

I suspect that I need to follow the recommended complete upgread to an AXI motor/ESC/Lipo. I'm assuming that this modern setup will work with the HiTech receiver that's in the plane.

Thanks in advance.
Monterey10 is offline Find More Posts by Monterey10
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,693 Posts
Brushed motors cannot be used with brushless ESCs, and vice versa. They operate on fundamentally different principles.

Rather than buying an obsolete ESC for a brushed motor, I'd be tempted to rip out the entire drive system and to go completely brushless. It could probably be done for $40 or less if you're into budget componentry, but it wouldn't be an AXI (premium) motor. More like Hobbyking or RCTimer.

The "modern" (brushless) ESC will work with the older Hitec receiver, but a bigger question is whether the receiver will work with your transmitter - or did you get one of those with the plane as well?
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:49 PM
USA, CA, Watsonville
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Hi Tech

I have the transmitter. A 72m mhz machine. I'll have to power it all up and see if it works. I scrounged up a brushless motor. I'll swap out the entire power package.
Monterey10 is offline Find More Posts by Monterey10