HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:47 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,782 Posts
Sounds like it is hd.

I have a question, is anyone using this as a camera for fpv? How to I wire it to the transmitter? Using a fpv905 900mz from hobbywireless.
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:34 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
Sounds like it is hd.

I have a question, is anyone using this as a camera for fpv? How to I wire it to the transmitter? Using a fpv905 900mz from hobbywireless.
#11 is 720p so HD "ready"

But real #11 has no AV-out , so no FPV

#18 the new version from #11 producer (I don't expect #11 is still produced), this has AV-out. so FPV ready .. but for this there is a dedicated thread

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:39 AM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
302 Posts
I have two questions for everyone..

I have the 808 #11, I believe it has a specialized 8 pin micro usb port for charging.. however, I lost the cable to charge it.. does anyone know if a regular 8 pin micro will work without harm or where to get a replacement short of buying a new keychain camera?

Second.. I was considering upgrading beyond this camera, though it does a fine job.. what would be the next version up worth getting? I've read the #18 drops frames.. would a #16 or #26 produce much better video.. the #11 does "ok" as far as I can see.. though it would be nice if it had video input, but I know thats dreaming and much bigger camera setup. The 26 is 1080p as far as I can see, but pretty pricey comparatively, although its 720p at 60fps could be useful for jittery flights.
markm75 is offline Find More Posts by markm75
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I have two questions for everyone..

I have the 808 #11, I believe it has a specialized 8 pin micro usb port for charging.. however, I lost the cable to charge it.. does anyone know if a regular 8 pin micro will work without harm or where to get a replacement short of buying a new keychain camera?

Second.. I was considering upgrading beyond this camera, though it does a fine job.. what would be the next version up worth getting? I've read the #18 drops frames.. would a #16 or #26 produce much better video.. the #11 does "ok" as far as I can see.. though it would be nice if it had video input, but I know thats dreaming and much bigger camera setup. The 26 is 1080p as far as I can see, but pretty pricey comparatively, although its 720p at 60fps could be useful for jittery flights.
You have the #18, not the #11! The original #11 had a 5-pin mini USB socket. Then there was a lot of confusion and the #18 was sold as a #11!
Both cameras run the same firmware (well sort-of), but the #18 has a non-standard mini 8-pin USB socket. Don't use any cable that was not designed specifically for the #18 or you risk destroying your camera
You can make your own cable. Click here for the schema or you could contact one of the #18 sellers and ask for a quotation for just the cable. Note that there are various cables!

The #26 is from the same developer as the #11 and #18. Firmware updates are rare to non-existent. Many people report the firmware is buggy. And, as you have found out, the #26 is overpriced. If you want to use the camera for spy purposes and you want 1080p, then you don't have much choice. The #26 is most likely the best you'll find.

However, for all other uses, I would definitely consider the Mobius. The weight and size is about the same as the #26, but the shape is different. The lens is much larger and produces superior videos without any vignetting whatsoever. It also takes photos, which the #26 does not. Support for the Mobius is also excellent and new firmware with new functionality is being released frequently.
If you are interested, you can read all about the Mobius by clicking here.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:13 PM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
You have the #18, not the #11! The original #11 had a 5-pin mini USB socket. Then there was a lot of confusion and the #18 was sold as a #11!
Both cameras run the same firmware (well sort-of), but the #18 has a non-standard mini 8-pin USB socket. Don't use any cable that was not designed specifically for the #18 or you risk destroying your camera
You can make your own cable. Click here for the schema or you could contact one of the #18 sellers and ask for a quotation for just the cable. Note that there are various cables!

The #26 is from the same developer as the #11 and #18. Firmware updates are rare to non-existent. Many people report the firmware is buggy. And, as you have found out, the #26 is overpriced. If you want to use the camera for spy purposes and you want 1080p, then you don't have much choice. The #26 is most likely the best you'll find.

However, for all other uses, I would definitely consider the Mobius. The weight and size is about the same as the #26, but the shape is different. The lens is much larger and produces superior videos without any vignetting whatsoever. It also takes photos, which the #26 does not. Support for the Mobius is also excellent and new firmware with new functionality is being released frequently.
If you are interested, you can read all about the Mobius by clicking here.
I found my cable by luck Its definitely 8 pin micro usb.. so its technically the #18 keychain 808? I had no idea it was the 18 with video out, as it didnt come with a video out cable, which ill have to track down if i want to later send remote video with altitude overlay to the ground Thanks for that info. EDIT: actually, how do i know its not the "#11 updated" vs #18 pure.. would the #11 updated still have the 5 pin socket.. I guess since its 8 pin its definitely the 18, cracking open should reveal the video out.

*update: puzzled, i look back at my ebay receipt from 2012, i see it listed as #11 keychain, not #11 updated or #18. Unless they simply mislabeled and as you said sold the #18 as a #11
markm75 is offline Find More Posts by markm75
Last edited by markm75; Aug 14, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I found my cable by luck Its definitely 8 pin micro usb.. so its technically the #18 keychain 808? I had no idea it was the 18 with video out, as it didnt come with a video out cable, which ill have to track down if i want to later send remote video with altitude overlay to the ground Thanks for that info. EDIT: actually, how do i know its not the "#11 updated" vs #18 pure.. would the #11 updated still have the 5 pin socket.. I guess since its 8 pin its definitely the 18, cracking open should reveal the video out.

*update: puzzled, i look back at my ebay receipt from 2012, i see it listed as #11 keychain, not #11 updated or #18. Unless they simply mislabeled and as you said sold the #18 as a #11
In my previous post I mentioned there was a certain "confusion" time. Both cameras are firmware-speaking identical. The only difference is a completely different hardware design. The developer prevents updating the #11 with #18 firmware and vice versa by installing a different bootloader. The bootloaders are not available on the internet. Once a #18 bootloader is installed it's no longer possible to install a #11 bootloader unless you program the SPI chip with a programmer. All very technical. I have converted a 5-pin #11 to an 8-pin #18 and vice versa numerous times by directly programming the SPI. The original #11 firmware was pretty stable. The "new" #18 firmware has always had numerous serious bugs. The #18 firmware has configuration parameters, the original #18 does not. You can install the "incorrect" firmware simply by renaming the firmware bin file, but you do so at your own risk and I can only advise against installing #18 firmware.
If you have #18 firmware installed, always make sure your battery never runs down or you risk bricking your camera. The #18 is also very fussy about which SD cards you use and can also destroy the card if you let it completely fill up or the battery dies. Some cards won't work or you can only record short clips. Depending on the card, the camera may just stop recording! The LED recording light will often blink while the camera is in standby!
The #11 firmware does not have any of these problems.

These bugs have been posted many times but the developer apparently has no interest in correcting them.

You have a #18, sold as a #11 and most likely with the #11 (no parameter setting) firmware. If this is the case, you are lucky to have firmware that is stable. The video will have a little more color-hunting than the #18, but otherwise the video quality will be fine. I loved my old #11s, the #18 is a disaster.

Most likely the #18s were sold as #11s because of the good reputation the #11 had at that time. If I remember correctly they were sold without the video-out cable.

In a nutshell, the only way to find out if you have a #11 or a #18 is to attempt to install the original firmware file and see if it works. I can't remember if the firmware file gets automatically deleted or not. I no longer use my #11s/#18s because of the above mentioned bugs and now exclusively use #16s and the Mobius for 1080p. Looking back, the #11 was fine but the #18 was a nightmare. I have lost numerous cards and 2 cameras because of the #18 bugs and have lost complete confidence in any products designed by the #18/#26 developer.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Aug 2013
4 Posts
808 keychain camera bricked

usb not recognized by pc dose it need usb driver ? ps the reset dose not make any differance just get the pc pop up saying usb not recognized. anyone help
tamper is offline Find More Posts by tamper
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:18 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2002
250 Posts
Sorry, wrong camera thread.
Tatty is offline Find More Posts by Tatty
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:45 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamper View Post

usb not recognized by pc dose it need usb driver ? ps the reset dose not make any differance just get the pc pop up saying usb not recognized. anyone help
There are dozens of different 808 cameras
Which model do you have? This thread is only about the #11.

If you want help for any other type of 808 your best bet is to first identify you camera by visiting Chuck Lohr's site. Once you know which version you have, the MEGA Keyfob thread is most likely the best place to get your questions answered.

If you have an original #11 then try another USB cable. If you have a #11 with the 8-pin USB connector (aka #18) then you will either have to make a new cable yourself following the schema published in the #18 thread or buy a new cable from one of the official sellers.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:30 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,850 Posts
Dang. Did this thread die?
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:50 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
LOL

#11 has been replaced by #18

But mainly .... most people did move from 720p to 1080p

The one still on 720p ... mainly prefer #16

Anyhow ... there is not much to discuss over this little cam ... it had its glorious days

I still keep it as back up camera

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:41 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
Yup I went on to #16 then Mobius. Sold one #11 and stripped the other down to use on my micro quad.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:42 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
I also still have mine, and a #16.

Hadn't used either for 6 months, the #11 still turned on, the #16 would not. Both work after charging.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:26 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
Hmmm, I still #3x3 (very rarely) , #11x1, #16x2. and a 'real' video' (x2) if I'm going for multi-angles.

3 or 4 of types on the plane, a #16 as Cap-cam and friend with video camera - for the zoom.

Really need to get a #18, an email from BangGood listed it recently,
I thought about getting one, but my wishlist already had about $2 grand of stuff in it.

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:53 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Really need to get a #18, an email from BangGood listed it recently,
I thought about getting one, but my wishlist already had about $2 grand of stuff in it.
I can really recommend the Mobius (effectively the successor to the #16v2). Great camera.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Closed Thread