SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Windows 7 Home Premium with ReadyBoost

This is FYI for Windows 7 Home Premium who are playing with sticking a thumb drive and configuring 4 GB or so on a thumb drive for extra cache. Well, I just noticed the playback of several .mov HD videos were hanging up for a couple of second on the video but not on audio. Scratching my head I wondered what was different. The different was the thumb drive was plugged in and configured for 4 GB of Readyboost extra cache. When I removed the thumb drive the videos no longer hung up. I will try reconfiguring the Readyboost on the thumb drive and see if the problem occurs again.

Bill

EDIT: I simply removed the thumb drive configured with 4 GB for cache and plugged it back again. The video playback hanging up did no recur. Go figure.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:20 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx1 View Post
Tom,

It works exactly the same in XP Pro as you described on the previous posts - push and hold shutter button, then power button until yellow LED comes on, then XP chimes that it has detected a new USB device. Bingo. Your suggestion about using Vdub works wonders as well, and I got my cam focused using this exact method. Eureka!

Thanks again, Tom
clx1
I only have XP Home Media Center edition with SP3 and all updates installed. Getting the camera into webcam mode was not the issue... I had it connected to an adjacent W7 PC to confirm that. When connected to the XP machine, it got detected when connected, but got an "unknown device" error, and digging resolved that to no compatible driver. Could it be that XP Pro has a different system driver for it? Frustrating because I'm getting some wierd "bad .DLL" issue on the one W7 box, and Vdub won't run on that one without it, Vdub runs fine on my other W7 PC though, but I don't have a good sight line outdoors on that one for distant focusing. SHEESH... three PC's and can't do my desired web cam focusing on any of them! I have access to a netbook, but it's too hard to see small fine detail on the much smaller screen.

The focusing has turned into 3 day ritual with lousy weather and poor lighting combined with this new Vdub/webcam issue. I got a small range of lens position defined... just need to tweak it within about a one notch band on the lens ring. It's looking like the positon the lens was in when I got it was VERY close to being as good as it gets! I'll just shoot some short videos at various points in my lens rotation range tomorrow and run them side by side to pause and look at fine detail to see which is best. Hand holding the lens and trying to focus just has too much motion to clearly see what's what for me.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:27 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
This is FYI for Windows 7 Home Premium who are playing with sticking a thumb drive and configuring 4 GB or so on a thumb drive for extra cache. Well, I just noticed the playback of several .mov HD videos were hanging up for a couple of second on the video but not on audio. Scratching my head I wondered what was different. The different was the thumb drive was plugged in and configured for 4 GB of Readyboost extra cache. When I removed the thumb drive the videos no longer hung up. I will try reconfiguring the Readyboost on the thumb drive and see if the problem occurs again.

Bill

EDIT: I simply removed the thumb drive configured with 4 GB for cache and plugged it back again. The video playback hanging up did no recur. Go figure.
Bill, I think the USB memory is going to be very slow compared to what's on the motherboard. Is it possible in your tests that the thumb drive memory was being used for the play back when it was slow, but not when you plugged it back in? I've not used the Readyboost feature even though I have several 4GB thumb drives laying around, so not sure how it gets configured. Does it only get used after the motherboard memory is fully occupied, or can you configure it as such?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:32 AM
Joined Jun 2010
100 Posts
Does anyone have the following issues?
Camera gets quite warm after 10mins or so.
I can no longer take pictures.
Does not work well pm low light situations.
Are all, or some, of these normal?

Tks
Jazz
jazz53 is offline Find More Posts by jazz53
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz53 View Post
Does anyone have the following issues?
Camera gets quite warm after 10mins or so.
Not sure how warm "quite warm" is to you. But I just did a continuous recording for about 20 minutes, and yes, it does feel warm afterwards. NORMAL
I can no longer take pictures.
NOT NORMAL
Does not work well pm low light situations.
NORMAL... typical of most inexpensive CMOS cameras, and many not so cheap ones! But this one beats the other REALLY cheap lower res 808 key chain cameras in this regard!
Are all, or some, of these normal?

Tks
Jazz
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:07 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,361 Posts
Hey Tom, just an update... After seeing other's have the camera working on XP, I decided to investigate further... I was using the front USB ports on the XP machine. I've had issues with those in the past, but only powering external hard drives. (A 2.5" laptop drive in a case, and no external power supply. Not all USB ports will supply enough power to run up the spindle!) I crawled under the desk and hooked a USB cable to a rear port, and what do ya know?! Webcam mode works like a charm on that machine now! Might be something to consider. Try a different port and/or cable, maybe it'll work for you?
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Last edited by KeithLuneau; Jan 12, 2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Gawd at the typos! lol
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:23 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Hey Tom, just an update... After seeing other's have the camera working on XP, I decided to investigate further... I was using the front USB ports on the XP machine. I've had issued with those in the past, but only powering external hard drives. (A 2.5" laptop drive in a case, and no external power supply. Not all USB ports will supply enough power to run up the spindle!) I crawled under the desk and hooked a USB cable to a rear power, and what do ya know?! Webcam mode works like a charm on that machine now! Might be something to consider. Try a different port and/or cable, maybe it'll work for you?
Now that's interesting. I'll give that a try. Maybe just changing ports and getting a new USB recognition sequence is all it takes. I'll give that a shot tomorrow! Thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:39 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,699 Posts
New External Power fo the HD Key Cam!

Look what was just sent to me by my "HD Camera Guy":

http://cgi.ebay.com/Key-Chain-HD-Camera-DVR-Video-Recorder-Webcam-30fps-11-/160531252866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256068 8682

The new package of accessories for the HD key cam includes an external "emergency battery charger" for just $2-$3 more. You probably have questions, because the ad doesn't tell anything about what it does! I THINK it may function just like the car charger to power the camera while it records in parallel with the camera's internal battery. I have already asked the HD Camera GUy these questions, and may have answers by tomorrow morning:

1. Will it allow the camera to take power from it AND the camera internal battery in parallel and take video at the same time?

2. What is the capacity of the emergency charger battery (mAh?).

3. How much recording time will the camera have with both its internal battery and the external one connected?

4. What kind of battery in the emergency charger (e.g. LiIon?)

5. How much does the emergency charger weigh?

6. Are you selling the emergency charger by itself for those of us who already have the camera? If so, what will be the cost (including shipping?)

I think it would be possible to just substitute any single cell lipo for the one that is in the external "charger" and record for much longer periods. That would make a continuous recording function much more desireable if it takes the camera's internal limited record time battery out of the equation.

I'll post more when I know more.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:22 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,361 Posts
I was just digging around for info on the OV9712 sensor just out of curiosity, and found this. It's pretty interesting... They also mention a 74 FOV.

http://www.roboxpress.com/technology...ifecam-cinema/
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
An update on this... I got some feedback from my "HD camera guy" asking for some clarification before they went ahead with another firmware offereing to allow continuous recording. In the communication (difficult in both directions), it was mentioned about having a "fully charged battery or possibly lose some file".

I had assumed (really bad idea, I know), that when the battery voltage got dangerously low, the camera could sense that, stop recording, and save the file. That may have been a bad assumption! I am doing a test right now with a partly discharged battery to see what happens to a file when the battery gets low. If the file is totally lost lost, I would not want to risk that. And knowing how many of the old 808 cameras had problems with the battery not lasting very long, the 20 min stop/save/continue sequence is not so bad after all.

I know there are one or two people working on an external power source for the camera, and perhaps they would still like to have a continuous recording option? If so, please respond to this post and I'll advise my contact accordingly.
Tom, for me, I need an external USB battery power supply with which I can record +6 hours continuous video. Since there is always the possibility of the USB being disconnected, I don't want to lose all my data, so I prefer 20 min stop/save/continue any day (as I stated in a previous post).

Will the internal battery (if partly charged) take over if I disconnect the USB while recording? What happens if I reconnect the USB after a few seconds? I am hoping that the camera continues recording without interruption, and will continue until the card is full. If this is not the case, then this is a BUG, IMO.

Now about your firmware idea. Its a bad idea How is the manufacturer expected to supply and keep synchronized 4 different firmware versions?
(timestamp on + split files, timestamp on + big file, timestamp off + split files, timestamp off + big file).
Also, there is always an element of danger when updating firmware. I hold my breath every time I have to update my motherboard, video, router, telephone etc.

There is only one clean solution, and that is a parameter file similar to that used for setting the time. If the camera has been designed with too little internal memory, then it most probably won't be possible to use a parameter file.

My suggestion for your "HD camera guy": (to replace the current date file - forgot the name)
File name: Params.txt
File Contents (// is comments, should be ignored by firmware so that we can have a documented parameter file):
Date: 20110112 // YYYYMMDD
Time: 150549 // HHMMSS
DateFormat: DD.MM.YYYY // or any combination, e.g. MM/DD/YYYY, MM/DD/YY, DD-MM-YYYY, etc.
TimeFormat: 24 // or 12 (with AM/PM)
Timestamp: OFF // or ON
Split: Y // or N

This is similar to a suggestion that I believe you made yourself and is similar to the (old) DOS/Windows ini files.
The order should not be important and using parameter names makes the file flexible if other parameters are added at a later date. The file should be automatically deleted once the parameters have been set.

Any serious firmware programmer should have used a configuration file from the start, but I doubt that the programmers have a clue what end users want or may want, which is a pity. Maybe through you, we have at last a chance of telling the manufacturer what WE want.

Keep up the good work, and maybe you will go down in Keychain history
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:05 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Bill, I think the USB memory is going to be very slow compared to what's on the motherboard. Is it possible in your tests that the thumb drive memory was being used for the play back when it was slow, but not when you plugged it back in? I've not used the Readyboost feature even though I have several 4GB thumb drives laying around, so not sure how it gets configured. Does it only get used after the motherboard memory is fully occupied, or can you configure it as such?
Speed of the thumb drive is a factor in its effectiveness when configured for Readyboost.

Just click on Properties in Explorer for the thumb drive and you should see a tab for READYBOOST. It will then give you a choice for using it or not and Windows will recommend a size.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 12, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:26 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
I checked it again at work using XP Pro. The HD cam works just the same on XP pro in web cam mode as it does on Windows 7 Home Premium.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 12, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:35 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
i want one that works with windows7 pleas.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:47 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
this is the only one i can find that states it works with windows 7 http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-7-SPY-72...68388232163039
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:50 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser View Post
i want one that works with windows7 pleas.

The HD cam we are talking about in this thread works in Windows 7 Home Premium and it works well. In fact, it's outstanding.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread