great job Ken , !!!
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:00 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Beautiful job, Ken. Good luck with the test flights.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 06, 2013, 06:17 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,125 Posts
First Flight attempt

Thanks for all the kind words, I'm happy with the way it came out

Well the first flight attempt was less than stellar. Take off was fine, though a bit low on the power. I noticed the motor was louder than usual, that should have been my wake up call. But it was hot and I wanted to get the maiden done. Something happened with the speed controller, as you can see it did not fair well. On the first pass I noticed the smoke coming out of the plane, then on the turn the motor got quiet and it was belly land time. Some minor damage to the rudder was about all the damage to the plane. The plastic Cowl got melted a bit too.

So I took it apart and tested out the motor it was fine. Then I put the SBhobbies spinner pack on and noticed that there was alot of vibration on the motor. So the SB hobbies spinner gets tossed aside for now.

I did end up with a nice weathering effect behind the cowl thought

Time to try again next week I think.
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jul 06, 2013, 06:45 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
Bugger. Still vibration wouldn't cause the ESC to burn though would it? Over-propped?
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:57 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,556 Posts
Ken , interesting thing .
I have the same spinner on an eflight 110. on the same plane .
I did not like the static testing on the ground and the larger two blade prop leave little room for error .
I so just this week I order two aluminum spinners from http://www.hobbylinc.com/ one for this plane and one for a Seafury .
They are not to bad in the scale shape department and when painted black they wont be far off but they will allow you to cut for what every prop you want to use from two to 5 blades .
Obviously I am going for three and they were relatively inexpensive vs comp spinners .
I hope the problem was not in the ESC, that is a good brand name and they need to deliver on quality especially when your paying more for the expected brand quality !
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:34 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,125 Posts
I really believe it was the spinner being out of balance and causeing some addtional load on the motor.
It was a tried and true ESC that I have had for many years, so I dont think it was a controller issue. It was only a 13x10 prop, on 8S so not that big a load on its own.

I tried to put the SBhobbies spinner on a prop balancer but its too large to fit the ones I have.

I have an old P-51 spinner that has been painted black for inital flights. Once the plane gets flight tested then I'll proably get a 3 blade prop and cut the PICA spinner I have for this plane. And maybe even a new cowl
Old Jul 27, 2013, 01:29 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,125 Posts
Got 3 good flights on the plane today.

The eflite power 90 on 8S is plenty of power. Take offs are quick.
was well behaved in the air.

The split flaps work pretty well, the plane balloons a bit when the flaps are put down, I need to put some down trim in with the flap. Flaps don't seem to slow down the plane all that much, it floats down the runway.

My last landing was a bit hard and I can see a split in the top of the wing where the gear mount is.

I think the prop adapter on the motor is bent just a tad as it makes a bit of noise at the higher end, so I think I'll replace that.

All in all a nice plane added to the collection