Old May 03, 2011, 01:14 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
and you reckon it has the appopriate clearance from the shroud?

It has a long threaded shaft so it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing is the mount is round so you would have to mount it to a small piece of light ply then bolt that to the firewall but if you want a motor with some very good speed and power this is it.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 03:26 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
It has a long threaded shaft so it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing is the mount is round so you would have to mount it to a small piece of light ply then bolt that to the firewall but if you want a motor with some very good speed and power this is it.
Cool. When are you gonna do this?
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old May 04, 2011, 07:28 AM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
996 Posts
i looking to put some turnigy motors on GC, which ones you guys recommend?
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old May 04, 2011, 09:29 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,228 Posts
Quote:
Cool. When are you gonna do this?
I'm not sure yet. First I want to try some better props and see if they help enough. I didn't care for the tree blades and all I had lying around in the size I wanted was a couple 8x6 MAS so I ordered a couple APC style 8x6 from HK and they just came in yesterday and I'm hoping to try them today. I'll let you know how they work.
Old May 04, 2011, 03:05 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,228 Posts
I tried the 8x6 APC style props today and I think I'm going to stick with this setup for awhile. I can easily fly now at just a little over 1/2 throttle for nice scale, relaxing flying
Old May 04, 2011, 09:27 PM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
I tried the 8x6 APC style props today and I think I'm going to stick with this setup for awhile. I can easily fly now at just a little over 1/2 throttle for nice scale, relaxing flying
whats that, stock motor and those apcs?
Last edited by Naval Warfare; May 04, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old May 04, 2011, 09:36 PM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
shaft issues

Well I finally tried to replace a shaft with the grayson hobby replacement today. I was waiting for it to be wobbly but it was nice and tight in the bell part. I thought cool!. (Yeah, right.) Then when I tried to slide the bell over the windings, I couldnt. It was so out of line it wasnt funny. Couldnt figure it out, so I got on here, and found the answer in Sanman's wriitngs. He mentions that he mayve bent the can when he hit his. So, I had a shot stock motor here that never flew and I cannibilized its can. Everything fit like a glove.No wobble, no nothing. So, the problem is not Grayson hobbys shafts, it's a bent bell top.I believe the weak link here is that the top of the bell only has 3 instead of 4 support arms? on the top of the bell, making it eeaasy to bend. Upon close inspection, my bent one even showed the wrinkle lines of compression.
Now I wonder if I can beat the bent can back into line??
Last edited by Naval Warfare; May 04, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old May 04, 2011, 10:10 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,092 Posts
NW...that make sense, I'll look at my motor tomorrow as it feels like it rubs the magnets in one spot during rotation....so if I can slightly bend the bell in the opposite direction that might work....an if I screw it up...I'll just get another quality dynam motor from grayson..
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old May 05, 2011, 12:04 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,228 Posts
Quote:
whats that, stock motor and those apcs?

Yep, stock motors with APC style 8x6 2 blade props.

How long are your flight times? They claim 5 to 10 minutes but even at a slow cruising speed I'm only getting about 5.5 and with the stock 3 blade props I got about 4 minutes and this is with a 2200, 3s pack.
Old May 05, 2011, 06:54 AM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Yep, stock motors with APC style 8x6 2 blade props.

How long are your flight times? They claim 5 to 10 minutes but even at a slow cruising speed I'm only getting about 5.5 and with the stock 3 blade props I got about 4 minutes and this is with a 2200, 3s pack.
I'd like to see anybody using a 2200 get 10minutes out of it. rolleyes:.
On fairly old rhino 2200 3s 30c's, I get to 6 min then bring it in. I try not to exceed 7min. Coming in with 3.85-3.75 left. Thats with the 3 bladers.

Is it possible your timing is set on high instead of low?
Old May 05, 2011, 07:02 AM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
NW...that make sense, I'll look at my motor tomorrow as it feels like it rubs the magnets in one spot during rotation....so if I can slightly bend the bell in the opposite direction that might work....an if I screw it up...I'll just get another quality dynam motor from grayson..
The credit belongs to Sanman for noticing it first.
Please let us know how it goes. Good luck shipmate

Nav
Old May 05, 2011, 07:49 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,936 Posts
NW...
Bingo... must be weak point..Plus the orginal can only has ONE set screw to hold shaft, most have two...I even added a set screw to the orginal can but it still hit...Glad you got it to work, My replacement can does not even cover the magnets all the way and still works... it actually increased the power some....Thanks for the credit, just lucky there..

I love tinkering... when it works.....
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Last edited by sanman55; May 05, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old May 05, 2011, 10:11 AM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55 View Post
NW...
Bingo... must be weak point..Plus the orginal can only has ONE set screw to hold shaft, most have two...I even added a set screw to the orginal can but it still hit...Glad you got it to work, My replacement can does not even cover the magnets all the way and still works... it actually increased the power some....Thanks for the credit, just lucky there..

I love tinkering... when it works.....
Thank goodness for these threads eh?

Now the challenge is how to straighten them out again. This can get real expensive if we don't figure this out.Either that, or we find an alternative motor.
I'm now out of spare parts, and 25.00 bucks a shot for a bad landing is prohibitive.

I wonder what a lot of tap, tap, tapping with a nail punch might do.Hmmm
Last edited by Naval Warfare; May 05, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old May 05, 2011, 11:40 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,228 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to see anybody using a 2200 get 10minutes out of it. rolleyes:.
On fairly old rhino 2200 3s 30c's, I get to 6 min then bring it in. I try not to exceed 7min. Coming in with 3.85-3.75 left. Thats with the 3 bladers.

Is it possible your timing is set on high instead of low?

I haven't checked that but I will, thanks.
Old May 06, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined May 2009
268 Posts
hey there,
can someone of you guys tell me what probably the max load for this plane is?
I'm thinking about using it for some fpv purposes and need to put some extra electronics in it, but I don't want to effect the flight properties too much.
thanks
Don Moretti is offline Find More Posts by Don Moretti