New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2015, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by Late99
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
282 Posts
Rebuild report

Ok, got some good and bad news.

So I finished my rebuild and got Slick flying. Batteries were located partly under wing tube to reach correct CG, but this wasn't a problem. Also any added weight didn't feel in the air. The plane flew just as well as before. I had a blast with it.

As usual after repairs I go through some kind of torture testing to really see if the repair will hold. And yes, there wasn't any new structural damage - - - with an exception that I blew the metal motor mount! And yes, in a knife edge spin. I feel kind of stupid, but this plane just does them so well that I couldn't resist torturing it hahah. Slick just needs now a new motor mount (already ordered from HK a similar one without the lightened mount part, I believe it should hold up).

I've been also flying lately a lot with Extreme Flight 48" Yak-54 EXP. To compare these two: Yak is clearly more precise, but when you fly slow and low somehow Slick is more "alive". It might be that the NTM motor just has a little more grunt than 140g Emax I've got on Yak (a slightly better power to weight ratio). Rolling harriers are much easier on Yak than with Slick, though. And based on packaging & accessories of these two planes I would even believe that they come from same factory. Covering on Yak was more carefully made and generally I felt that it had gone through a much better QC than Slick.
Late99 is offline Find More Posts by Late99
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by jcardoso47
Portugal, Albufeira
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late99 View Post
Ok, got some good and bad news.

So I finished my rebuild and got Slick flying. Batteries were located partly under wing tube to reach correct CG, but this wasn't a problem. Also any added weight didn't feel in the air. The plane flew just as well as before. I had a blast with it.

As usual after repairs I go through some kind of torture testing to really see if the repair will hold. And yes, there wasn't any new structural damage - - - with an exception that I blew the metal motor mount! And yes, in a knife edge spin. I feel kind of stupid, but this plane just does them so well that I couldn't resist torturing it hahah. Slick just needs now a new motor mount (already ordered from HK a similar one without the lightened mount part, I believe it should hold up).

I've been also flying lately a lot with Extreme Flight 48" Yak-54 EXP. To compare these two: Yak is clearly more precise, but when you fly slow and low somehow Slick is more "alive". It might be that the NTM motor just has a little more grunt than 140g Emax I've got on Yak (a slightly better power to weight ratio). Rolling harriers are much easier on Yak than with Slick, though. And based on packaging & accessories of these two planes I would even believe that they come from same factory. Covering on Yak was more carefully made and generally I felt that it had gone through a much better QC than Slick.

damn after all excellent work you had the motor mount still giving up =/ well that said I would say no more KE spins on your slick =)
jcardoso47 is offline Find More Posts by jcardoso47
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by jcardoso47
Portugal, Albufeira
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cnmw0YMwkZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
jcardoso47 is offline Find More Posts by jcardoso47