HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2014, 03:18 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Mar 2014
7 Posts
Discussion
First Conversion - Just a few questions...

Hi everyone!

I recently bought an academy IX B 1:150 motorized U-boat from Ebay for around $25 AUD from Korea. I am hoping to start off with something easy so I can learn since I am completely new to building R/C vehicles .

With this in mind I would just like to ask a few question about the kit and the U-boat as well as previous builds before I launch head first into the hobby and ruin its potential to be a great model .

1. After reading previous threads about their own builds, I noticed they all used some kind of plastic tubing that houses the push rods and links the compartments. Do you guys know what this is called? I tried searching push rod housing/ push rod tubing but nothing came up.

2. Looking at the box and some other variations of the models it seems the paint scheme is red and white with a tan deck. Does anyone know whether this was for all subs or just the early built ones? I personally really dislike the colour scheme and I have seen other U-boats such as the VIIC with a dark gray and light gray scheme. Did the type IX/B use this as well?

Thank you very much for future reference!
mr_president_jk is offline Find More Posts by mr_president_jk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:22 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president_jk View Post
I noticed they all used some kind of plastic tubing that houses the push rods and links the compartments. Do you guys know what this is called? I tried searching push rod housing/ push rod tubing but nothing came up.[QOUTE]

try silicone fuel tubing

[QOUTE=mr_president_jk;27850159]
Looking at the box and some other variations of the models it seems the paint scheme is red and white with a tan deck. Does anyone know whether this was for all subs or just the early built ones? I personally really dislike the colour scheme and I have seen other U-boats such as the VIIC with a dark gray and light gray scheme. Did the type IX/B use this as well?
The model is not an accurate representation of a real uboat. It was designed first of all to be a pool toy not a scale model.
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:27 AM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
332 Posts
Welcome. You have chosen a nice subject.

Type IXB u-boat
Length: 76.5 m (251 ft 0 in) overall
Beam: 6.8 m (22 ft 4 in) overall

At 1:150 scale this translates to ....
a length of 20.08" and a beam of 1.78".
----------------------------
1. Water Tight Compartment (polycarbonate tubing) But this boat is too small for this type of system.

Looking around I have found this information on how to convert you kit. They use a syringe instead of polycarbonate tubing.

Academy IXB 1:150

Click on the links to the left. It shows Dynamic dynamic systems and Static dive systems.

I would use this information to build a working boat. It's been done and it looks like it works well.

2. Colors

A place to start looking for color schemes. Is Here

Here is my small boat with the plastic tube inside.

To compare the two boats.
The center section of tube in this boat is bigger in diameter than your boat hull. This boat hull is 3" in diameter and 31" long.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:30 AM
RC sub dude
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Joined Nov 2004
301 Posts
U-boats were always painted with dark grey lower hulls and a lighter grey upper deck. The red paint was never used.
CaptainNemo12 is offline Find More Posts by CaptainNemo12
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:04 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Nov 2005
60 Posts
A little more detail to add to what CaptNemo already provided....

No WW2 U-boat is known to have had a red hull below the waterline when in service (Frontboote).

Typically the hull below the surfaced waterline was a dark grey (Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau 1, RAL7016) and the hull above the waterline was a light grey (Hellgrau 50, RAL7001).

Decks (at least the wooded parts) were painted/treated with a preservative (Teerfirnis Tf 99) that looked very black when first applied, but rapidly turned to a dark grey while at sea. Period color photos (at least those that can be trusted to be 'accurate') show the weathered grey of the decks to be similar to the dark grey of the lower hull.

It's probably useful to note that several factors could affect the actual color of a U-boat, for example weathering effects while in service, so going with some variation of the Kriegsmarine standard colors seems acceptable from a modeler's point of view.

Also of possible interest, there was some testing done before the war on different paint and camouflage schemes...so one could always use that as a justification for 'non-standard' color schemes.

Both Humbrol and Colorcoats offer paint that match the above atandards. However I tend to use Testor's ModelMaster paints; Grün (RLM 72) for the dark gray and Lichtgrau (RLM 76) for the upper light grey. Neither are exact matches, but close enough given the variations due to the effect of weathering.

-Jeff

p.s. This basic two-color paint scheme was used on all major U-boat classes (e.g. Type II, VII, IX, XXIII, etc.), but not for the Type XXI or some of the midget subs like the Seehund.
JWLaRue is offline Find More Posts by JWLaRue
Last edited by JWLaRue; Mar 21, 2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Updated with some additional information
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:29 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Mar 2014
7 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply's!

I now have a bit more confidence and shall start the model soon!

One more question I have is:

What type of radio do you think would be suitable for under water control in a pool?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:49 PM
Design Crash Learn
UK, England
Joined Sep 2009
191 Posts
For a radio you want anything but 2.4GHz.

40MHz is a common frequency for subs (dont quote me on that),
Try looking for a 4 channel 40MHz radio,

Michael
Subsonic Mike is offline Find More Posts by Subsonic Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
332 Posts
The frequency will depend on what country you are in.

You might go in to your profile and put down a city and state or country. At least a country. This way you will get help from people that know what is required in your area. Also help in finding parts as you go will also be helped by knowing where you are.
-------------
2.4ghz will not penetrate water surface. Not even 1 inch. It would be like running in salt water or a pool with lots of chemicals in it. In these cases you will only have control if you can see the antenna tip.

In the mhz range will work. USA we use 75mhz. Problem here is the manufactures of radios are stopping 75mhz and going to 2.4mhz. We have to look for used radios now. There is a Chinese company still importing 75mhz I think.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:08 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Nov 2005
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president_jk View Post
What type of radio do you think would be suitable for under water control in a pool?
Where are you located? Different countries have different legal frequencies.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline Find More Posts by JWLaRue
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:15 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Mar 2014
7 Posts
I currently live in Australia. I am guessing it may be hard to find suitable gear.

EDIT:
Thanks! Will look for a 40mhz radio! Seems to be legal here.
Last edited by mr_president_jk; Mar 21, 2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Researched about legal frequency
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:10 PM
Joined Jan 2010
332 Posts
I found this list.
I don't know how current it is but it may help.

Australian radio control model boating clubs radio frequencies.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:57 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Mar 2014
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hanger View Post
I found this list.
I don't know how current it is but it may help.

Australian radio control model boating clubs radio frequencies.
Thanks! Yeah it definitely seems that finding a 40mhz tx/rx is hard to find. Same with the other frequency's.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
332 Posts
How many channels will you need?

There is a new 3 channel 40 mhz radio available to Australia.

Some other stuff as well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...0+hmz&_sacat=0
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:00 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Mar 2014
7 Posts
Yeah I'll probably only need three. Thanks for the guidance by the way!

I got started with basic building tonight.

Is anyone able to tell me what the part they used to join the rudder and the servo pushrod together in the x1b conversion thread, is called?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:02 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Mar 2014
7 Posts
This thread I mean http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332202