HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:43 AM
United States, MI, Birmingham
Joined Apr 2013
12 Posts
Question
Ultra Micro P-40 Warhawk

Hi Guys,

I'm still a bit of a newbie at all of this so please bear with me if I mess up the terminology a bit...

I have the above plane and to say learning to fly it has a steep learning curve would, for me at least, be an understatement!

I've found the plane to be unforgiving to my dead thumbs and more than a little fragile. After a couple of 'mishaps' (which required 1) repairing a broken wing and 2) repair to the fuselage when it snapped off in front of the tail feathers) I figured out that by using a significant amount of aileron/rudder mix and more than a little expo I was able to get it tamed down and could fly it Still gave me sweaty palms but at least I could put my CA away for a bit.

Unfortunately the last time out, when I checked the flight surfaces right before launch, I missed the fact that somehow it had lost the aileron/rudder mix and I hit the wall before I could get it back on the ground. No wing repair this time, it will need a new one. Which brings me to the point of this posting.

I am wondering if there is a way to add some carbon fiber rod to the wing for added strength and if that's feasible, what's the best way to do it.

All thoughts appreciated,

Kerry

P.S. Regarding my feeling that this plane is too fragile... the two crashes that damaged the plane enough to require a trip to the emergency room before the final encounter with the wall were NOT hard crashes nor at high speed. Ok, they weren't exactly soft landings either but my T-28 and Sukhoi have survived much worse without damage.
deac1234 is online now Find More Posts by deac1234
Last edited by deac1234; Jan 24, 2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added some missing words.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:11 AM
Joined Apr 2013
99 Posts
That plane is a handfull that is for sure.

I learned 4 channel on it with no major incidents.

However, one day I got overconfident and tried to fly in wind which was a bit too strong. Crashed and did cartwheels before coming to a stop. I broke off one of the machine guns and slightly bent the wingtips, but no other damage.

I have an extra wing but have not yet really needed it. The weakest part actually seems to be tue engine mount.

As for your question. The plane is already a pig so personally I would not add any weight. Even carbon fiber.
mattman0182 is offline Find More Posts by mattman0182
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:21 AM
Austin TEXAS area
Joined Apr 2008
326 Posts
My group uses the UMs for full contact combat. We set them up with one strip of packing tape running wing tip to wing tip, top and bottom. The top strip goes over the leading edge some to give it impact resistance. This has proven to be robust, but of course there is no way to make them 100% damage proof. We started with carbon fiber and although it was strong it was not helpful for impact absorption/foam deformation. Good luck!
pops57 is online now Find More Posts by pops57
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:24 AM
Austin TEXAS area
Joined Apr 2008
326 Posts
Mattman makes a good point! This one is the dog of the group and extra weight will just make it tougher to master. We remove all the plastic scale stuff to make ours lighter for combat.
pops57 is online now Find More Posts by pops57
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:29 AM
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops57 View Post
Mattman makes a good point! This one is the dog of the group and extra weight will just make it tougher to master. We remove all the plastic scale stuff to make ours lighter for combat.
+1 on that, easily the most difficult of the UM warbirds, it drops a wing very quickly if slowed down much, such as when landing.
Mark 2 is offline Find More Posts by Mark 2
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:07 PM
Joined Apr 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2 View Post
+1 on that, easily the most difficult of the UM warbirds, it drops a wing very quickly if slowed down much, such as when landing.
I guess since I learned 4 channel on that I can fly any of them now lol.

I just got a UM Corsair so we will see how that goes.

I would never add any sort of weight to these things.
mattman0182 is offline Find More Posts by mattman0182
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
390 Posts
A word of advice to anyone flying the UM P-40 or the UM F4U. It flies like a real plane, not a video game or an F-16. I have seen countless posts by people that say these 2 aircraft fly horribly, but I own both and they fly great. It seems to me that many people getting into the hobby now are getting spoiled to the excessive power to weight ratios that most of the newer models have. This has many newcomers learning to fly by the prop instead of on the wing. Aerobatics have nothing to do with power, but energy management. Both of my aircraft will loop and roll completely deadstick.

Here's a great example of this as performed by Bob Hoover in an aircraft that most people would have called a dog.

Bob Hoover -- Engine-out Aerobatics! (8 min 0 sec)
SMRTIC is online now Find More Posts by SMRTIC
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:15 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
919 Posts
Are we talking about the P.Z. Warhawk? Jeez, that's one of the easier planes to fly that we have, that and the U.M. Corsair, even without AS3X. It is "stally" when trying to land at anything less than 1/2 throttle, I find you have to fly it in, only really had one problem with the P40 that resulted in a smooshed spinner, but that's the only damage on the whole plane. I find the U.M. Spitfire to be the "dog" of the bunch, at least with the 3 we have...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
That's weird. I much prefer the UM Spitfire to the P40, we mostly fly the UMs indoors and I can fly the Spitfire a lot slower than the P40 and find it less stally. Maybe it varies with individual models depending on minor weight differences, thrust lines, angles of incidence and such.
The best of the bunch IMHO are the new P51 and the T28
Mark 2 is offline Find More Posts by Mark 2