HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2013, 06:48 PM
United States, NY, Ovid
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
Discussion
Foamies Junk!

What is the deal with all these Foam models out now..... I see how the Foam is a good building material, not better than traditional balsa,plywood monocoat IMO But most of these so called Foamies look like Walmart toys. I have seen some nice paint schemes able to be attained that you can not do with monocoat but then it just flakes right off as soon as you take it out of the box and start handling it not even in the air yet!

FlyerMan4Life is offline Find More Posts by FlyerMan4Life
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2013, 07:53 PM
foam, ailerons, brushless!
Joined May 2013
1,272 Posts
cough troll cough
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Sep 25, 2013, 08:24 PM
United States, NY, Ovid
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
Not Troll ....just trying to start a Discussion thats what Forums are for
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,468 Posts
well, I might ask, whats the deal with balsa planes? The covering gets holes in it just brushing against stuff, and land a bit hard and drag a wing, and you have wood splinters everywhere! Foam on the other hand, makes for a plane that will last, without even noticing minor landing mishaps and hangar rash that would re-kit a balsa plane.....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:20 PM
United States, NY, Ovid
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
Excellent feedback there Dacaur...... In my experience the foam models show more damage after a wing scrape on a ruff landing and also easier to damage the foam will get dented very easily and may or may not show it as bad as monocoat would unless the paint flakes off the foam Like I said
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:45 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,468 Posts
I had a foam model where something got placed on half the elevator "in the hangar" and broke it off at the body..... 30 seconds later, it was ready to fly again (CA+kicker) On a balsa plane the same situation would have meant a major repair....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:51 PM
United States, NY, Ovid
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
yea repairs may be easier on foam just depends on how good with repairs you are with one or the other...... But speaking cosmetically the foamies take even hanger rash much easier IMO
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, NY, Ovid
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
I did purchase a mini Foamie....doesn't seem to bother me as much if it is a smaller cheaper plane to mess around with and I think that is where the general market for the hobbie is going and why these foamies are so popular in BNF, Rxr, Rtf, Txr Ect.......it takes the modeling aspect out of it and makes it more of a toy.... that anyone can purchase and fly and be more carefree since they didnt put hours into building it.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:23 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,792 Posts
I have been recently selling off my foam models over about 36" span. I can no longer stand the hanger rash they get from just transporting them. I had both the 80" H9 B-25 and the LX foam 79" B25. The foam one looked better as it had more scale details etcs but as far as durability it was much worse, always needing repairs and the foam wings would flex when it flew or the wings tip or stab would warp in direct sunlight. So I am going to start going back to the balsa planes as they work out better for me. The foam is appealing as you can get a nice warbird about 56" span with flaps and retracts, motor, esc, all servos etc for about $260 but by the end of the flying season they look like crap. I would rather fix balsa pieces than try and fix foam chunks. So my next warbird is going to be the new Hangar 9 P-47 that just came out. I guess everyone buys what works best for them and the best for me is balsa.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, NY, Ovid
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
Excellent Feedback TheDon.... I agree with you 100% that is my argument as well but good to see there is people on both sides
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:52 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerMan4Life View Post
Excellent Feedback TheDon.... I agree with you 100% that is my argument as well but good to see there is people on both sides
I see guys at my local field who need foam models as they cartwheel when they land or nose in and flip over on landing and for them foam makes sense, they can plug in their hot glue gun and do a repair right at the field and keep going. Some have asked me why am I not afraid to fly balsa as it will break easily when you crash and I tell them isn't the goal to learn not to crash? I am not saying that to them to sound arrogant I am just trying to give them a different mindset.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, NY, Ovid
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
Exactly.... I make sure I dont crash or damage my models.... the companies market these Foamies and in big bold letters they put that you can be more carefree because the new super dueper tech foam which is all the same thing its Styrofoam! "it just bounces off the ground", "takes a beating", "quick repairs" Ect....... They are marketed towards people who have no idea what they are doing in the Hobby and that are almost guaranteed to crash right of the bat and over and over again trying to learn the wrong way.
Last edited by FlyerMan4Life; Sep 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:05 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,285 Posts
I agree with Don, as I have been switching my hanger to all balsa/monocote/fiberglass materials. There will always be a special place for foamies considering they are easily repairable, are typically cheaper, and generally give people more confidence in learning how to fly. I learned how to fly with foamies and the amount of times I've crashed these planes have saved me tons of time, money, and stress being exactly what they are... foamies.

Despite the fact that I'm switching over, I will ALWAYS have a funjet ultra. I think that plane is just awesome.
yellowcolorado is online now Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Aug 2008
485 Posts
I like balsa and foam. Foam has its uses for sure. My friends and I would make foamies out of the blue foam from lowes and combat fly with them. There is no way I would do that with a balsa build. How about the guys that use it as a foam core? I know a lot of people like to take a foam jet and use fiberglass to cover them or monocote. They look and hold up very well. If I had a choice one or the other I would pick balsa. I personaly like to build with balsa. I have a house of balsa P51d mustang I am building right now. I also have a midget mustang from black hourse. I do have to agree that every thing is going more and more to foam. I sure hope the day nerver comes when I go to my LHS and can't find a balsa plane!
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:13 PM
United States, NY, Ovid
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
If that day comes Omnicomps the Hobby is doomed!