HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:56 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Build Log
E*star Wilga PZL-104 build thread

Well after 12 months without a balsa project I decided it was time to make some balsa dust
After seeing a giant rc wilga fly earlier this year at a fly in I was impressed enough to do a bit of research in to what kits were available...
The main criteria was -Electric
-balsa
-small enough to fly at my local sports ground
-Large enough to add some scale detail
-3S to 4S
-Flaps and slats

There are some great kits out there but most were gas powered and 2 metre wingspan, after a bit of searching I came across the E*star website and their lasercut kit all 389 pieces of it
http://www.estarmodels.com/

Wingspan : 1340mm (52-3/4")
Overall Length : 934mm (36-3/4")
Wingarea : 22.5dm2 (2.4sq.ft)
Total weight w/Battery : 900~1050g (32~37oz)

After making the purchase I only had to wait a couple of weeks for the kit to arrive. There was some damage to the packaging when it arrived but the kit itself was ok and the laser cutting was clean.

I also placed a hobbyking order for the motor/esc etc.
-Turnigy park 480 920Kv
-Turnigy Plush 30amp esc
-5 amp Sbec
-6x9gram servos

It should be a fun build and will hopefully fill in the next couple of months
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:13 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
I begin with taking a plaster mould of the cowl, this is incase I need one in the future I do this with most cowls and canopies and it has saved my butt a few times
After studying the plans and instructions I started with step one the tail.
It took longer to find the parts on the sheets than to glue them. The fit was nice but there is a lot of detail on the plans and I can see that if I am not careful it would be easy to make a mistake.
There is also a Pdf file of the instructions on the E*star website which allows me to enlarge the instruction photos for a clearer view.
Once the glue has dried I will sand the tail frame and sheet the topside.
-Reuben

If anyone has any tips etc please feel free to comment
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:41 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,408 Posts
I've always loved the quirky look of the Wilga since I first saw it! Looking forward to the build - and balsa builds are always good value in this forum

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:52 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lynch View Post
I've always loved the quirky look of the Wilga since I first saw it! Looking forward to the build - and balsa builds are always good value in this forum

Pat
Thanks Pat,
The wilga certainly has an interesting look, I hope to add realistic landing gear so I can get a nice bounce on touch and goes
My last couple of planes have been foam my workshop looked like it had been snowing inside balsa is much easier to clean up
-Reuben
Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:55 PM
Sverige
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Nice that somebody is still building the E-star Wilga. I fly it as often as I can but I have had problems with the gear being to week. The other day I made it sturdier with some bracing going over the motor mount (which is scale) and some between the legs (not so scale). It made a huge difference in ground handling and it is much sturdier.
millen is offline Find More Posts by millen
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:00 PM
Sverige
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Try to build the tail really light. Mine is a bit heavy so, to avoid lead in the nose I fly it with a 1300 mAh 3S cell stuffed in the cowling under the motor mount. Works fine but I can not fit bigger batteries in the cowling.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:49 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millen View Post
Try to build the tail really light. Mine is a bit heavy so, to avoid lead in the nose I fly it with a 1300 mAh 3S cell stuffed in the cowling under the motor mount. Works fine but I can not fit bigger batteries in the cowling.
Hey,
Thanks I will keep that in mind, I plan to have my motor on a modified stand that should allow me to modify the battery compartment to allow the batteries to slide in to the cowl if needed (I may install the elevator/rudder servos in the cowl to).
I also plan to ditch the wire landing gear and make some struts out of alloy so that should help to keep the COG forward
Do you know what weight yours came in at?
Thanks Reuben
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:05 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
493 Posts
Tagging in. There is something cute in this ugly duckling.

raino
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:25 AM
Sverige
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Mine is on the heavy side, 1140g ready to fly. It used to be as heavy as 1300g with 100g of lead in the nose and 1800 mAh in the cabin, but it is nicer when it is light. It flew well eaven when it was 1300g but no STOL. The wire gear bends on a less than perfect landing so your going the right way.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:39 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
After a relaxing evening last night working on the rudder and stabilizer my laptop decided to have a melt down
So my build thread will continue on via my iPad, hopefully the photos will be clear enough to give an idea of my progress.
The rudder begins with preparing the rudder sheeting, these have the trailing edges sanded so when glued together they have a nice profiled finish. The first sheet is then pinned to the build board and internal frame work is glued over this to form the internal structure.
Next the top sheet is attached and then the leading edge is added followed by a light sanding to profile the edges I also marked and cut the rudder CA hinges at this stage.
Overall things are progressing well and I've only had one head scratching moment caused by trying to work out the order of some parts while deciphering the plans
-Reuben
Old Sep 01, 2013, 01:10 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Elevator and horizontal stab

The last couple of evenings have been spent framing and sheeting the elevator and horizontal stabilizer.
The steps are similar to the vertical stabilizer and rudder but with a higher parts count.
First the lower sheeting is glued together and then the frames are built over that structure. The leading edge of the elevator is raised 3mm off the plan so the completed elevator will have a profiled finish.
The instructions call for CA to be used but as I am not in a rush I have been using white wood glue. I like white glue (PVA) as you can easily wipe any excess off and it soaks in for a good bond.
Before adding the trailing edge of the stabilizer and the leading edge of the elevator I marked and cut the hinge slots.
Once the glue has dried it will be a case of adding the top sheeting/leading and trailing edges and beveling the elevator hinge line then giving it a good sand and filling ready to be put aside for covering.
-Reuben
Old Sep 02, 2013, 12:48 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,954 Posts
Like Pat, the Wilga "had me at hello," as well.

The "form follows function" aircraft design approach tends to produce subjects with character, and the Wilga has that utilitarian "Storch-y" look that tugs at my strings.

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Sep 02, 2013, 04:58 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Tail surfaces finished.

Hey James,
Your right, watching one land for the first time sparked my interest

The tail end is all done and sanded/hinged ready for covering.
Next stop the wing...... Not really looking forward to this step as there is a lot going on but hopefully slow and steady will get the job done
-Reuben
Old Sep 02, 2013, 07:54 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Break time

Before tackling the wing I decided to make the most a nice day and go for a spin down the coast in my baby austin 7. We have snow forecast tomorrow so plenty of time for building over the next week.
-Reuben
Old Sep 05, 2013, 03:08 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
One wing panel done...

First wing panel completed and although there is a high parts count it went together without to much stress. CA is recommended as the wing self jigs and is then glued once you align all the ribs over the spars.
Only the right wing panel is shown on the plans so the left hand side is built in front as a mirror image (fingers crossed its straight).
-Reuben