HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:38 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
361 Posts
The pull starter started slipping suddenly, from one start to the next one, and doesn't work anymore. I tried to take them apart with some troubles in putting back the springs in place (?!) I did'n find anything strange, no sign of use or so... It doesn't start anymore, it slips when I pull the cord and doesn't make the engine shaft to turn.
Any suggestion? I saw from discussion on HK that is a common problem, but no suggested solution, yet.
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:54 AM
RCG Car Editor
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
1,724 Posts
It sounds like the one-way bearing is dirty or cracked. Remove the pull starter and then the one-way bearing. Once the bearing is removed, clean it with motor spray and then try starting it again. If that doesn't work, it is possible you need a new one-way bearing.
Paul Onorato is online now Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A little about me.
Old Aug 03, 2013, 05:23 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
361 Posts
I'm working on the owb, first cleaning without success, will try again. Could you link a motor spray? Some I found seem to be indeed lubricant, while I think tmotor spray you are referring to should be solvent, right?

P.S If you are interested, there are a lot of discussions on this model's page of Hobbyking. So many things to learn at least for a newbie as I am...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:32 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
361 Posts
Just a short update for the ones who may be interested: the car is working ok but for the pull starter. Unfortunately, the one way bearing stops biting after each engine start, I think due to contamination from fuel. If you deintegrate, clean and lubricate, it works again but just for the next start, the slipping again. This is very annoying and basically prevents to have fun with this car.
There are a lot of discussions on HK web site here
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...uct=34229&pb=1
and a couple of guys has found a good solution sealing the side of the owb facing inside the engine with high temperature silicone based sealer.
I've just ordered a tube of Dirko HT sealant and will try as soon.
For the other aspects, the car looks OK. Hope to solve the pull starter issue as soon.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
21 Posts
Thanks for the update, Tom. Did yours come with the 2-speed transmission or is that a hop up?
rwestbrookjr is online now Find More Posts by rwestbrookjr
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:53 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestbrookjr View Post
Thanks for the update, Tom. Did yours come with the 2-speed transmission or is that a hop up?
2 speed gear is an optional part
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Buggy.html
Bye.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:05 PM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
361 Posts
Ok it's time for an update (it looks more as a blog than a owner's forum, hope some other owner will join me here!).

The one way bearing doesn't want to work for more than 1-2 tanks. When it gets cool it starts slipping. All I can do is to desmount the pullstarter mechanism and the engine backplate and to clean the OWB with alcohol. This restores functionality for the next 1-2 tanks and so on...

I tried a mod with high temperature silicone sealer hoping to prevent OWB to get wet with fuel but didn't work. Neither replacement of the OWB worked apart for the first few tanks.

This is a real pity, since the car is so funny when it starts (my 9 y.o. son gets crazy with it!) and I'm also getting more and more accounted with engine tuning...

I think I'll go ahead using the car from time to time and cleaning the OWB after each use to be able to start the engine again next time.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:54 PM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
361 Posts
Ive been finally able to run the Turnigy 1/16 4WD Nitro Racing Buggy in a large space. My son was driving while I was filming, so you cannot see the car at its very best (although he is quite good and learn so quickly!). In particular you cannot appreciate from this vid how fast it runs with full throttle!

Turnigy 1/16 nitro buggy in action (0 min 36 sec)

However, the known issue on pullstarter is still there: every time you need to start again the engine after few minutes running, the pullstarter is slipping and you need to flood the engine with alcohol through the glow hole to clean the one way bearing inside and make it biting again (although Ive modified the OWB as explained on Hobbyking discussion page in the hope of sealing it against fuel). Unfortunately, in my case the engine still stops suddenly quite often, especially trying to drive on irregular surface (e.g. grass) or making jumps; maybe the tuning is still not completely ok (suggestion?)
Although this is annoying for children (my son still prefers the electric Losi Mini-T), this nitro car is still funny to drive outdoor. Better engine without the pullstarter issue would make it easier and even more funny, but after all it is less than 100 USD nitro car anyway. Just be aware that with this little car you have what you pay for. Some other products from Hobbyking give you more than what you have paid for, but not this one, in my opinion.