HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:14 AM
Mossie
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
Help!
Beginners guide

This article is for all you newbie flyers who are starting the hobby for the first time!
In this book Anthony talks about the basic essential you will require to get you started with an RC aircraft, he will discuss
types of aircraft, pre-flight checks and setting up your aircraft before flight!
In this article will be sharing most of my knowledge with you about flying RC aircraft. This article is for all you people who are first time flyers and also beginners to the hobby. What I will cover in this article will give you a great insight into the hobby and I will also share all my tips with you, which will help to get you up in the air.
We will look at:
• Safety procedures at the field.

• Pre-.flight checks. 

• Pay attention to your instructor.

• The right equipment. 

• Flying your aircraft.
This information will help you and others at the flying field have great and fun packed day model aircraft flying. So lets get straight down to the Nitti gritty, I have only been flying aircraft for about six years, so I am what you would call a late starter. I was flying small park flyers around the local farmers field where I lived for a couple of years first. I never had any instruction and I didn’t even know what a SC 40 was? I only past my A test one year ago this April, but now I fly a variety of scaled Warbirds ranging from 72” Messerschmitt to a 120 scale PC9.
You too maybe just like me starting off with no experience, then after a bit of practice, you too might be soaring through the skies flying a beautiful Warbird. And all this maybe possible if you follow the advice I am going to give you in this EBook. Before you can fly any type of RC aircraft there’s a few things you need to know, what aircraft you need is good starting point, if you have read my article on (what skills you need to fly RC) you will know that answer. If you haven’t read my article, then a good top wing trainer like Tutor 4o or a Rising star will be a good start preferably with about a 40 size engine. Most clubs have one of these two aircraft for all beginners to start out on. As I have stated before don’t start out on a low winger something like a Warbird.

(Read what skills you need to fly RC)
When you choose radio gear (at my club) most flyers use Futaba servos because their cheap, good quality and readily available, your receiver can be expensive so your best going with what you can afford.
Gearing up your aircraft.
So now we have the plane, engine, choice of electrics inside the aircraft, the next step we need is to fit all the electronics in place, and then test them to see if they al l work. If you follow the manual step by step which is provided with your aeroplane it should tell you where everything needs to go. I.e. (servo’s, battery, fuel tank and receiver). One of the most important things to remember from the manual is make sure the CG is on the money, if not your plane will do all sorts of weird stuff when its in the air and you may end up crashing it. Make sure you get someone who has RC model experience to help and advise you.
If your going with IC,you will need a few things to get you started at the field
• Electric starter (some use a chicken stick which is basically a piece of wood) electric starters are the safest option for starting your plane and I like safe, if you have to use the stick make sure you have someone to show you how to use it first.

• an assortment of screwdrivers, Allen keys, pliers and spanners.

• Glow start.

• Gallon o f fuel or half gallon (it depends on what engine your using to what fuel you get, research this first, go with the recommended fuel to start with).
• Glow plug, if your using two stroke engines you want a number 8. 

• Hand full of old rags.

• Wet wipes for cleaning the old burnt fuel off your aircraft afterwards. 

• Radio Transmitter.

• Something to secure you aircraft with whilst the engine is running. 
 And I think we are about there? If I have missed some of the basic essential you need then I can only apologies.

Well the day has arrived
The day for your test flight has arrived, what I will do is give you a brief look at life at the club. If your flying for the first time you will need to go down to the club and meet an instructor, they will talk you through the safety aspects of the club like the numbered pegboard which is used to identify who is flying at that time (unless on2.4). The instructor will then discuss the safety features of your aircraft (failsafe’s) if fitted, then they will chat about your flying ability and if you have ever flown before and what experience you have. They will discuss the out of bound areas of the field, they will run through the pit area and pilots box and any other information before you even start to fly.
Once your head is all fuzzy with the large volume of information you will then be expected to fly. What some clubs do is take you up with the club trainer first, the reason for this is because their aircraft is all trimmed and the engine runs sweet, which is not a bad thing to do on your first flight if that’s the case.
The instructor will connect you up to a system called a buddy lead, which is two transmitters connected via a lead transmitting a signal from the aircraft receiver to the instructor’s transmitter, and then the signal from the instructor’s transmitter passes a signal to the dead transmitter (yours). 
The purpose of this is if you’re flying as beginner and you get into difficulty the instructor can quickly takeover the controls by just flicking a switch.
Pre-.flight checks
Now that you have had your brief and your transmitter is all tuned in, the next step is to pre-.check your aircraft. 
Before fitting the wings on to your plane check all the connections to your servos and linkages are secure and moving freely.
Next check that if your aircraft has a steerable nose wheel make sure that it’s secure in its housing but moves freely and it only moves, as it should.
Next make sure all your surfaces are working; the last thing you want is for one of your surfaces to fail and that could be the end. So make sure the entire surfaces move the right way i.e. Stick right aileron on the right lifts up. When you first start out flying get into the habit of standing behind your aircraft when you do your pre-.fight checks so when you turn the right stick right the aileron goes up and soon, then you will not get confused.
So lets double check all the surfaces work!
Right hand stick
Aright hand stick right, right aileron up! 
Bright hand stick left, left aileron up!
Right hand stick forward elevator down!
Right hand stick back elevator up! 
With the ailerons bare in mind that when one goes up naturally the opposite side will dip.
Left hand stick
A.Left hand stick right, rudder right!
B.Left hand stick left, rudder left!
C.Left hand stick forward throttle open!
D.Left hand stick back throttle shut!
This is just a guide to make sure all the surfaces work and are functioning properly, as I mentioned before if something is not working right like an aileron juddering or buzzing badly don’t fly, sort out the issue or you could end up in a sticky situation.
The next big step!
This next step is my favorite “starting the engine” now what we need to pay attention to is safety, if an accident is going to happen it will be at this point and its nearly always down to lack of concentration. 
Firstly make sure your aircraft is secure and that there is nothing either side of the propeller that can get caught by the propeller and thrown in the air and injure some one or most important yourself.
What you will do first?
A.Switch on your transmitter! 
B.Switch on your aircraft!
C. Open your throttle fully!
D.Place your thumb over the carburetor hole!
E.Turn your propeller five times anticlockwise by hand till fuel comes out of the carburetor hole!
F. Shut your throttle off!
Next you will place your glow stick onto your glow plug, get your electric starter and place it onto your spinner, add a little throttle (a notch up from idle) check again for no obstructions around the propeller then start the engine.
Once the engine has started turn the throttle back to idle to make sure it’s ticking over properly.
Then just blip the engine to full a couple of times just to clear the carburetor, what you are aiming for is when you push the throttle forward the engine will pickup instantly and back off just as quick, if this is not achieved then you will need to make some minor adjustments to your needles. When you first start your aircraft make sure safety is a priority, look at the pictures below for a start up method.
Starting your aircraft like this is dangerous, notice where my hand is! I am holding the glow stick with my wrist next to the propeller. No No NO!!! Do not reach around your propeller especially when it’s running. As you can see from the picture below, this method is much more safe. My hand is holding the plane in position and nowhere near the propeller, this way if the aircraft pulls forward when it starts you can hold it.
Once your aircraft has started and it’s running smoothly check again that all the surfaces are working then you are ready to go. (GOOD LUCK)!

SUMMARY
All the experience I have gained since passing my A test this last year was thanks to the guys at the field, club flying is not for everyone but the information shared and support I have received from club members has been fantastic. If you have never flown before and you would like to try, just visit your local club and go from there. 
The information this in this article is just a basic guide to help you get started, I will be publishing further articles on my website in the near future for my members about setting up an engine and trimming your aircraft, so if your not a member you can sign up for free yes free!!!!
rc modelflers is offline Find More Posts by rc modelflers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2013, 06:25 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,883 Posts
a) Nothing to do with scale models
b) copied direct from another website without any credit

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 14, 2013, 06:59 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
a) Nothing to do with scale models
b) copied direct from another website without any credit

Steve
The guy is basically advertising his own site.

The post doesn't belong here, anyway. It should be posted (if at all) in the beginner's forum.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:26 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,545 Posts
There's already a beginner's forum...

It always surprises me that folks 'smart' enough to write a book, can't read and understand the Forum Headers.

We wander in our own threads, with permission and approval, usually taking someone's lead and "taking a break" with interesting and informative 'asides'.

That was some hard readin' , and no pictures.!
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:23 PM
Mossie
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
Hi can you send me the link from the website you are talking about then I can compare the article. Thank you
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:20 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,545 Posts
Let's unconfuse the issue-are you trying to help beginning SCALE modelers with building information, hints and kinks, and techniques ?

We've already suggested to just move this to the .beginner's forum, where it could help beginners, if you intend to help non-flyers....

Most Scale builders are a bit past raw beginners, and could probably help you there.

You have the right idea, just the wrong forum...We're trying to make doors open , lights work,retractable landing gears and scale models here.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:19 AM
Mossie
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
Yes your right as iam new to the forum i am still finding my way around the page, and on other forums if you post something in the wrong section the admin move it for you. so once I work that out it will be gone.
thank you for your advice.