HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:46 PM
Joined Feb 2012
208 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone scaled down the stevens aero little gee ?

Hello! Has anyone scaled down the stevens aero little gee to say a 6 or 7 inch wingspan I would love to do this and have one powered by a dt rx52m and similar bits, Im not able to do this but has anyone or is any one able to I would love one made of durobatics if I had plans scaled down i could just trace it, has any one tried this?
rogenstein1983 is online now Find More Posts by rogenstein1983
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aero FlyBaby bipe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:43 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,723 Posts
if no one has done it, it should be done by you!
really, tho, its simple. keep in mind shrinkning by 50% means you gotta shrink AUW down to 25%. (you lose half you wing width, AND half your wing chord)
i would say use 1mm depron first, and see if you like it. the 1mm depron should fly like a pig, and durbatics should fly much better. (wieight and all that.)

keep in mind i have no idea what plane ur talking about, but i have scaled plane up/down alot
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
208 Posts
It's this plane, I've built a couple and I absolutely love them Stevens aero make the nicest kits, I so think it's possible but I have no printer or scanner at the moment I think simply scanning it and reducing the size could work although I have no Idear how to do this
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:54 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,196 Posts
Well before the days of PC's, printers and scanners, we scaled plans by hand besides, it's good math practice!!. It's pretty easy to do. It's helpful to go to Walmart or similar place and get some cheap drafting tools, like ruler, triangles and French curves (for making complicated curves look nice like the wing outline of your Little Gee).

If that's not to your liking, you can always go down to a Kinko's or Post-Net and have them scale it for you. It's surprisingly inexpensive.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
208 Posts
Hmm I'm sure there's a British version of that last group of shops but thats a great idea thanks.I reckon I'll have to get a new kit scan all the panels and get it scaled down as the way thay build the plane the plan dosent have all the parts shown so unable to trace
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:34 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,723 Posts
`todat i got a sinbar jr glider plan printed out at 24 x 36 inches b and w at staples for 4 usd. she even asked me what size i wanted it. im never printing and cutting and taping plans again
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:30 PM
plane crasher extrordinaire
United States, IL, Waukegan
Joined Sep 2012
371 Posts
scale it down by hand. that is what i do when scale something down and it is lots of fun. you will be very happy when it flies.
microairman1 is online now Find More Posts by microairman1
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
Yes, I have scaled the LiddleGee down a bit, I have it down to 10" WS and 10g flying weight with mini-vapor guts....think 6" WS would be possible with Plantraco gear or simular. Unfortunately I can not yet give a flying report as I have yet to maiden. the first pic is "Flea-Gee" next to a full sized Stevens Aero LiddleGee, second pic is of "Flea-Gee" in my hand. I would welcome any pointers to shrinking this size plane as well. Stevens Aero kits are a favorite of mine. The bubble canopy is .005 thick clear film heat streched over a form tool.
It cost .10 cents to get a plan sheet scaled down. The original WS is 14.75 inches so a 50% reduction would give a WS of 7.375 inches...by playing around with the % of reduction you can hit any WS you wish.
hunterdude is offline Find More Posts by hunterdude
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:07 AM
confused poet
USA, CA, Orange
Joined Feb 2004
1,040 Posts
Nice job on the little gees. I think I saw your red white and blue on on the Face book page. good stuff.

Hank
HanksGB is offline Find More Posts by HanksGB
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdude View Post
Yes, I have scaled the LiddleGee down a bit, I have it down to 10" WS and 10g flying weight with mini-vapor guts....think 6" WS would be possible with Plantraco gear or simular. Unfortunately I can not yet give a flying report as I have yet to maiden. the first pic is "Flea-Gee" next to a full sized Stevens Aero LiddleGee, second pic is of "Flea-Gee" in my hand. I would welcome any pointers to shrinking this size plane as well. Stevens Aero kits are a favorite of mine. The bubble canopy is .005 thick clear film heat streched over a form tool.
It cost .10 cents to get a plan sheet scaled down. The original WS is 14.75 inches so a 50% reduction would give a WS of 7.375 inches...by playing around with the % of reduction you can hit any WS you wish.
Thouse are absolutely fantastic, 50% and a 7inch ish wingspan would be exactly what I'm looking to do id been running it on a deltang rx52m and id make it from durobatics I just no it would work a treat, thouse models are stunning would also be going the actuator coil route
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:03 AM
Joined Feb 2012
208 Posts
Hi hunterdude did you get to maiden that little gee yet and if so any vids?, next month gonna grab another little gee kit and get the nice lady at ponta print to scale it down for me
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdude View Post
So did it get its maiden and if so any vids?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
sorry.....Just saw your post! sadly she did not maiden, the plane was taken to indoor fly and would taxi really well and fast but just would not lift off. The offending problem was found....I cut the wing profile in fus with a hotwire but started at the bottom rear of wing and just made a curved cut. the end result was I had a .100 wide gap at rear of wing from hotwire curf...the curf worked nicely for wing fit but in attempt at improving appearance I just pulled the gap shut and bonded. the end result was my delicate foam fus just flexed and pulled the tail down....looked fine visually but I just could not get enough UP elevator to make the little bird fly! a small incidence problem is a big deal in this small scale!!! it was last indoor flying session of season. I benched the little plane but plan to rework and give another go when snow flys...life is more busy than I would prefure....sorry for such late report! wish we had year round indoor venue near me....
hunterdude is offline Find More Posts by hunterdude
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
208 Posts
Hay hunterdude, I really must join a indoor Flying venue where I live on the coast it's normally windy in one way or another ,shame it didn't maiden,I just got another liddle gee kit and getting my girlfriend to scale it down at her work, am gonna tackle a 50% reduction and a 25% reduction like you have I'm gonna be using durobatic to keep weight down, think I'll do a build log of both, the 50% reduction will be hopefully running on a deltang rx52m home made actuator coils, and Plantraco GB05 gearbox
RCG Plus Member