HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
807 Posts
Help!
GPS Module From TomTom One

For a while, now, I've had the guts of one of my TomTom One's gps units sitting around collecting dust and have had serious thoughts about how to convert it over t use as a gps tracking device on my Radian. It looks simple enough, to remove the gps module itself. from the pcb board(2 solder points), but how would I go about getting the readouts and other pertinent information from it? Would I need to make a new board for the module itself, with specific bus patterns. Much help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:21 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
513 Posts
That thing in the photo looks more like a patch antenna, rather than a complete GPS module, and the fact it only has 2 solder points makes this hipothesys more likely.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
807 Posts
I have no idea, whether it is,or isn't. I just know, that I gutted my Tomtom One and this is what I took out f it, along with the screen and the battery. Thought maybe since it can plot my course while inside my car, that it could do the same for my sailplane. Thanks all the same though.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:34 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
513 Posts
And probably it can, but it's difficult to locate the module in that photo.

Maybe if you could post more detailed photos form both sides...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
807 Posts
TomTom One XL GPS Module

Here are the pics
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
513 Posts
It seems like the GPS circuitry is integrated in the main PCB board, probably under the shielded part next to the patch antenna.

In this case, I'm afraid it would be very difficult to use it for other applications.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl View Post
It seems like the GPS circuitry is integrated in the main PCB board, probably under the shielded part next to the patch antenna.

In this case, I'm afraid it would be very difficult to use it for other applications.
Well, that sucks! I think that I'll mess around with it and see if I can get lucky enough to get some kind of gps readout.

Thank you MoFI
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,619 Posts
i was able to use the gps module from a mio navigator and also from several cell phones picked up at the flea market for a buck or less. its only necessary to find the serial data output. a scope is required even if its one of those free pc software scopes.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
i was able to use the gps module from a mio navigator and also from several cell phones picked up at the flea market for a buck or less. its only necessary to find the serial data output. a scope is required even if its one of those free pc software scopes.
Thanks, I knew there was a way to use this, module! How do I find the ones in a cell phone? We have about a dozen of those things just lying around and I feel the smaller, the better.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:57 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,619 Posts
usually (but not always) they look like the little tin box in the photo below from my robot plane. the most important part is to find the serial output, usually (but again not always) 4800 baud. then after transplanting the module, wiring and layout of components becomes an issue. absolutely a ground plane under the module with no power or signal lines nearby.

see my one cent "pigs tail" antenna? takes a lot longer to aquire, specially if overcast, but once locked in pretty solid. most of all it weighs almost nothing compared to even the smallest ceramic patch.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
807 Posts
What do you use to find the serial output, an oscilloscope?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
807 Posts
Now this is something that I would want to relay the signal to my laptop and not t an OSD. How would I go about acquiring the signal on my laptop?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:40 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,619 Posts
you need a usb/serial adapter to input the signal from the module to the laptop.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
807 Posts
I enjoy flying naked-eye high altitude flights with my sailplanes and there are instances, where it may just go out of range due to me riding a nice sized thermal. Now without my gps unit connected to an OSD, is there a way for the signal to broadcast to where I could track it on my laptop?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:44 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
I enjoy flying naked-eye high altitude flights with my sailplanes and there are instances, where it may just go out of range due to me riding a nice sized thermal. Now without my gps unit connected to an OSD, is there a way for the signal to broadcast to where I could track it on my laptop?
Eagletree do one;

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Plane/plane.html
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet