HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
United States, KS, Manhattan
Joined Jan 2014
215 Posts
Just curious. How much battery does a Phantom use sitting plugged in and with motors off?
Flint Hills Dude is online now Find More Posts by Flint Hills Dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Hills Dude View Post
Just curious. How much battery does a Phantom use sitting plugged in and with motors off?
dont know the exact mA but i say very little...its only powering the naza / Rx and strobes outputs till you throttle up.
eirlink is offline Find More Posts by eirlink
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Installing Gimbal Balls .....
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Joined Apr 2014
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirlink View Post
Hi
it would be nice of you to introduce yourself and the company you represent to the hobbyists on here so we can be in an informed position as to whether to participate or not. If you could elaborate on how the info will be used and for what purpose, then that too would be helpful.
Hi Erilink,

You're completely right! I work for Sifteo - www.sifteo.com. One of our founders is a complete drone enthusiast, so we're considering some (toy) drone-related projects and are trying to learn from the product (Phantom) that seems to be the best out there right now.
sarahcn is online now Find More Posts by sarahcn
Old Today, 12:51 AM
Joined Mar 2013
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahcn View Post
Hi Erilink,

You're completely right! I work for Sifteo - www.sifteo.com. One of our founders is a complete drone enthusiast, so we're considering some (toy) drone-related projects and are trying to learn from the product (Phantom) that seems to be the best out there right now.
Sounds like a nice place to work.
Tony Landing is offline Find More Posts by Tony Landing
Old Today, 07:35 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Jan 2014
146 Posts
Quote:
Hi Erilink,

I did your survey. Hope you follow up and post the results here.
Nuke61 is online now Find More Posts by Nuke61
Old Today, 09:43 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Hi Erilink,

I probably won't participate because of the negative connotation of the word 'drone'; ie. killing machine, spy in the sky, etc. If your founders really are as enthused as you say they are, why don't they use the proper words; multi rotor or UAV. If they want to do something positive, figure out a way to change how the public thinks of the 'D' word.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Today, 09:46 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilotjae View Post
What heat concerns are you having? LED's don't produce heat and having heat around the LED's shouldn't hurt them. Or am I missing the question altogether?

Lastly, ElGuano is correct, reading the pulse from the red status LED would be easier. (I was thinking about it myself.)
The LED I'm thinking of using is actually made up of multiple LED's packed near each other to produce a VERY bright light. It's rated at 3 watts so I suspect heat may be an issue.

If I'm not wrong, I believe ElGuano believed simply finding a way that directly meassured the battery voltage was the easiest way to go. I'm still, however, trying to understand how the Naza communicates low voltage battery states to the status LED. Finding the schematic(s) showing how subassy's connect would answer my questions but I suspect they may never have been made public.
DJI27 is online now Find More Posts by DJI27
Old Today, 09:57 AM
Joined Sep 2013
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post
The LED I'm thinking of using is actually made up of multiple LED's packed near each other to produce a VERY bright light. It's rated at 3 watts so I suspect heat may be an issue.

If I'm not wrong, I believe ElGuano believed simply finding a way that directly meassured the battery voltage was the easiest way to go. I'm still, however, trying to understand how the Naza communicates low voltage battery states to the status LED. Finding the schematic(s) showing how subassy's connect would answer my questions but I suspect they may never have been made public.
As to how, NAZA just sends 0-5v pulses through pins LED2 (red) and LED1(green) through TTL serial. that's all analogRead measures in my Arduino implementation--we're seeing if the pin is being sent anything substantially higher than 0V (~2V threshold).

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/analogRead

NAZA isn't telling the LED anything about the battery voltage, it's just saying "flash the red LED now".
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 10:34 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,188 Posts
Ama & faa fyi

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...as-operations/
I put this on two threads...
Please excuse the cross-posting...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Today, 10:50 AM
United States, KS, Manhattan
Joined Jan 2014
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...as-operations/
I put this on two threads...
Please excuse the cross-posting...
Good letter.
Flint Hills Dude is online now Find More Posts by Flint Hills Dude
Old Today, 11:23 AM
KF2WM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2003
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
It depends entirely on the LED. All LEDs give off waste heat, and I have several that need to be constantly sinked in open air and will melt delrin within a minute! Those aren't going on any quad
I did not know that. I was under the impression that LED's (no matter what kind, etc.) didn't put out a huge amount of heat. Yes, some waste heat but not enough to actually produce a heat that would be destructive.

I stand corrected and will now go off to Google to find out what amount of heat certain LED's can produce. Learn something new everyday, thanks..
rcpilotjae is offline Find More Posts by rcpilotjae
Old Today, 11:38 AM
KF2WM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2003
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post

I was surprised to find that some LED's can become hot (enough to be destructive). Thinking about the LED's they're now using in automobiles, trucks, etc. have to burn bright, but was unaware of any heat (especially in the ones we use). Going to Google this as soon as I sign off. It's very interesting.

Anyway, if the NAZA is sending a series of voltage pulses that's easy to understand, but I think what you want to know is how does the Naza know this and then how it reacts to it (other than sending out the voltage pulses)...correct?

Yeah, agreed the schematics would be a heaven sent and would tell the tale, I don't think they're going to give up that info any time soon....

Interesting conversation.....Off to Google and LED land.....
rcpilotjae is offline Find More Posts by rcpilotjae