HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
504 Posts
Build Log
Hi-Flight Mirage Build

Last year I picked up an old Mirage kit NIB on RCGroups. I started it in December, glued the ribs and spar on the center panel, got the spar and ribs glued on one tip panel, and then put it away. I've pulled it back out and started the build again.

The top spar has .60" carbon. The bottom spar has .30" carbon. The spars are 3/8" wide in the center panel.

Allan
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Last edited by R2R; Oct 28, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:59 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
504 Posts
I started by making laminated carbon spar caps for the center panel (see above).

I then glued the ribs and shear webs to the center panel. And I glued the top spar cap to the shearwebs/ribs using gorilla glue so that the few gaps would be filled as the GG expanded.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:04 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
504 Posts
I wrapped the spar and glued up the left tip panel.

This is where I left off last winter.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:15 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
504 Posts
Starting again today

Today I got back on the build. The stock trailing edge piece was warped, so I replaced half of it with wood from my LHS. I notched the TE pieces of the center panel and Titebonded them on.
Last edited by R2R; Oct 30, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Tip's

Since your main spar is so stong now, you might blow the tips off as they are kinda spindley at the joiner!!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:44 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
504 Posts
Thanks, G Don. I was pondering how and how much to beef up the joiner. I think the joiners have always been the weak link by design, but they probably do need to be strengthened now. Maybe just laminate the plywood joiner with glass/carbon? I'm not looking to do gorilla launches though; I just wanted to add a bit of insurance.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,065 Posts
I have one of those NIB.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi R2R

I was thinking about where the joiner ends at those 1/8' spars, that looks like it needs a look see.

Maybe make the joiner out of 1/8" aircraft ply and put a long taper on it to spread out the load over 3" or so longer than the stock one.

You could make it out of 2 layers of ply glued together with some carbon cloth in the center, that is how i made my 12' Goose joiners yrs ago.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,157 Posts
lite-ply joiners

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2R View Post
Thanks, G Don. I was pondering how and how much to beef up the joiner. I think the joiners have always been the weak link by design, but they probably do need to be strengthened now. Maybe just laminate the plywood joiner with glass/carbon? I'm not looking to do gorilla launches though; I just wanted to add a bit of insurance.
I am planning on using two layers of 1/16" aircraft ply to create one joiner simply because the 3 layer 1/8" lite-ply is too weak imho.There was a discussion of this issue in earlier Mirage build threads. What i got from these threads it was you wanted the joiner itself to break vs. the joiner box. Also that the joiner to not fail due to a simple ground loop as was thought to be with the 1/8" lite-ply joiner. I'm also planning to upsize by the joiner box ply - i think its 1/64 as supplied but i'd like to use 1/32" - 1/64 obviously works but that was with 6v winche so my thinking goes

fyi- some useful references i plan to incorporate - http://www.mrcss.org/articles/6-cons...icle-isamirage Mirage info in two places, the middle and the very bottom part of this web page.

best wishes and thanks for posting the project, john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Oct 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:46 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
1,683 Posts
If you beef up the tip panels you will be killing one of the very best features of this plane - light tips. It wont turn or indicate lift nearly as well as the stock model.

IMHO the Mirage is one model that should not be beefed up in any way. It flys outstandingly well as is and will withstand moderate winch launches as is.

Ive broken one or both of my 1/8th liteply joiners several times now and Im very very glad they are what broke. I have had it cartwheel 50 feet across the field in 20 mph winds, a vertical nose first "arrival" and Ive fluttered the wing - all with NO damage to the wings other than broken joiners and some torn covering.

If the joiners had been stronger, Im quite certain I would have been building new tips more than once.

I have never broken a joiner in-flight except for the flutter issue - which happened on another vertical decent that got way over speed. Ive never broken a joiner landing. Only that cartwheel issue when I failed to weight it down enough when the wind came up during a contest. That cartwheel broke the rudder, elevator and fuse but the wing was fine.

I would highly recommend you resist all temptations to make it stronger. You're just making so that it cant fly at its full potential.
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:56 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
1,683 Posts
Now that Ive given you a hard time - sorry about that

Im curious - are you planning to add spoilers? Thats the one mod I do recommend. They make all the difference in the world as far as being able to land this thing on the spot and just getting it down out of big lift!

I started mine one bay in from the joiner rib and made them 1.5" wide starting from the back of the spar x a little over 10" long. I forget if that 3 or 4 bays wide.

The Mirage will float on mouse farts and glide in ground effect forever, so you really need some help getting it down and stopping it where you want it to stop.

Ok, enough preaching, I promise
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:28 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,156 Posts
Great build! I built one a few years ago from an Isthums Models kit, great kit if anyone is looking for a good kit to build. I did break the jointers twice on mine. First time I had built it per the plans which mentioned gluing the jointers into either the center or tips, bad idea, don't glue them in. So I remade them out of lite ply again and on the winch I broke one but had enough tape holding the tip one that I still flew it for a 2:30 minute flight. After that I used ply that was I think about 6 thin layers and it has worked great.

Alan
jh2rc97 is online now Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,157 Posts
good preaching is always welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
...The Mirage will float on mouse farts and glide in ground effect forever, so you really need some help getting it down and stopping it where you want it to stop.
Preaching about experiences is OK
This is great info and I really appreciate it from those who have 'walked the walk' when they share it. Ultimately this kind of info makes the end product work better for the builders and flying.
js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:39 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
311 Posts
Totally OT but is that a vase of Artichokes?
UberZogster is online now Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post

Im curious - are you planning to add spoilers? Thats the one mod I do recommend. They make all the difference in the world as far as being able to land this thing on the spot and just getting it down out of big lift!

I started mine one bay in from the joiner rib and made them 1.5" wide starting from the back of the spar x a little over 10" long. I forget if that 3 or 4 bays wide.

The Mirage will float on mouse farts and glide in ground effect forever, so you really need some help getting it down and stopping it where you want it to stop.

As for spoilers, I would recommend making them four bays wide.

I agree that spoilers are a must; I built mine three bays long. Three bays is plenty
for landing, but I think four bays would be a good thing for extraction from boomers. I have flown for 30 minutes, spoilers deployed, without loosing altitude (on a good day).

As for joiners, mine are made out of seven ply wood. They have never broken. They are not glued in (but they should be a fairly tight fit -build up edges with epoxy if too slopy). But once when flying way too fast I tore a wing tip panel off. I was able to bring it back to my mini field for a semi-controled landing without the wing tip panel. The failure was in the wing tip panel, just beyond the joiner box. But I retreived the wing tip panel and it was an easy fix.

I attach the wing tip panels with a two inch long piece of 3/4" wide fiberglass reenforced packing tape on both leading and trailing edges.

I do recommend wrapping joiner boxes with kevlar thread (along with a light wrapping on the entire center spar).

I totally agree with MrE about adding NOTHING to the tip panels (except a little kevlar thread around joiner boxes). Light weight tips are a big part of making it possible for the Mirage to stand vertically on a wing tip and be very maneuverable.

Keeping this bird light is very important if you want it to fly like a Mirage. I have been flying sailplanes for 42 years and the Mirage is my favorite woody RES. I also own a Graupner Cirrus, Oly IIs, Windfree - great planes, but usually stay in the hangar. The Mirage is addictive.

Craig
craigrrr is online now Find More Posts by craigrrr