HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Woah... Do you mean the TX will actually read out with a voice like a robot like Siri does on the iPhone? If so, that's awesome! I'm absolutely sold if that's the case
The 18MZ can do that, I suspect the 14SG should too if it has the same telemetry software. On the 18MZ I can get RX voltage, motor battery voltage (on electrics) and altitude spoken to me in a variety of different choices. The alarms you can set also can be made verbal (and vibrating).

For instance, I set the low external battery at 20.4 volts on my 6S airplane. When I hit that point during flight (end of pack, long vertical upline, etc.) It says "WARNING! External Pack Voltage 20 volts" (or what ever the reading is.

Pretty cool
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
What is Acceleration Mix?
Typically it is used on helis, and is sometimes called "revolution mix". It adds a touch of tail rotor when the throttle/collective is changed when you are not using a heading hold gyro.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:00 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
The 18MZ can do that, I suspect the 14SG should too if it has the same telemetry software. On the 18MZ I can get RX voltage, motor battery voltage (on electrics) and altitude spoken to me in a variety of different choices. The alarms you can set also can be made verbal (and vibrating).

For instance, I set the low external battery at 20.4 volts on my 6S airplane. When I hit that point during flight (end of pack, long vertical upline, etc.) It says "WARNING! External Pack Voltage 20 volts" (or what ever the reading is.

Pretty cool
Now that is stupid awesome! I was apprehensive about upgrading from my 8FG at the moment but now that's there, I'm buying it (hopefully it gets to the UK before Christmas )
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Discovery Pro Test
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
I'm #4 on Lindsay's list!
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,372 Posts
The programming port is for setting the channel number of s.bus servos. I hope they'll add the option to "test" regular servos as well. It sure would be nice to have a mode where it drives/powers a servo with a knob/stick and displays the PWM value and equivalent % travel. Not only for setup but even occasional field testing/repairs would benefit from a built-in servo tester.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Typically it is used on helis, and is sometimes called "revolution mix".
It adds a touch of tail rotor when the throttle/collective is changed when you are not using a heading hold gyro.
revo-mix and acceleration mix are 2 different features http://www.futabarc.com/systems/feature-compare.html
who is using a non HH gyro today 0.1% ?
they have to delete the revo-mix forever.
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,698 Posts
So I fly sailplanes and often with a skinny fuse its hard to get decent antenna placement. Whilst I range check there have been times when I've gone out of range speccing out and this is due to my slightly poor antenna placement. I currently fly of the amazing 8FG

So with the 14SG, I could set up a vocal/vibrate alarm with telemetry if it notices my range is getting low? I really need that feature and it would be the icing on the cake to have it

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:34 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
3,704 Posts
Unfortunately the telemetry does not report signal strength.

As far as losing range, I think you need to look at your installations. I have flown a F3J NYX, Sharon Pro 3.7, Xplorer 3.8, Aspire, AVA Pro, and an electric all molded Graphite to the limits of my eyesight and never once had a hold. I program flaps to drop in the case of a hold, so I would know if I had one.

What type of plane are you flying and how do you have your antennas installed??

I generally run one straight back along side the servos and the other goes forward and across the fuse on the top of the battery. This has proven to be a solid installation in all of the above gliders. Most of them have all carbon wings and a CF tail. The Graphite is all carbon/kevlar and on that one I simply ran the antennas outside the fuse.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:03 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately the telemetry does not report signal strength.

As far as losing range, I think you need to look at your installations. I have flown a F3J NYX, Sharon Pro 3.7, Xplorer 3.8, Aspire, AVA Pro, and an electric all molded Graphite to the limits of my eyesight and never once had a hold. I program flaps to drop in the case of a hold, so I would know if I had one.

What type of plane are you flying and how do you have your antennas installed??

I generally run one straight back along side the servos and the other goes forward and across the fuse on the top of the battery. This has proven to be a solid installation in all of the above gliders. Most of them have all carbon wings and a CF tail. The Graphite is all carbon/kevlar and on that one I simply ran the antennas outside the fuse.
Oh no! Would an 18MZ do signal strength?

I fly sometimes skinny F3B fuses. I sometimes have to have two antennas close to each other based on what plane I fly. Usually not a problem unless I fly very far away or stand behind a tree, haha! But you're setup sounds superb, will edit mine soon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:04 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
16,996 Posts
Quote:
Typically it is used on helis, and is sometimes called "revolution mix". It adds a touch of tail rotor when the throttle/collective is changed when you are not using a heading hold gyro.
With almost everyone using flybarless controllers these days (including me) those fancy helicopter function are almost never used anymore.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
revo-mix and acceleration mix are 2 different features http://www.futabarc.com/systems/feature-compare.html
who is using a non HH gyro today 0.1% ?
they have to delete the revo-mix forever.
Yep, I got my mixes mixed up. Acceleration mix adds throttle to compensate for pitch changes. Like revo mix, it is hardly ever used. Not sure why it is still there
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Oh no! Would an 18MZ do signal strength?

I fly sometimes skinny F3B fuses. I sometimes have to have two antennas close to each other based on what plane I fly. Usually not a problem unless I fly very far away or stand behind a tree, haha! But you're setup sounds superb, will edit mine soon
My F3J planes don't have that much space compared to a B plane. In extreme situations you can get the antenna (the shiny bit at the end of the gray coax) outside the fuse. I do that on my all carbon fuses. I use small diameter plastic tubing to protect the antenna. Works really well.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
With almost everyone using flybarless controllers these days (including me) those fancy helicopter function are almost never used anymore.

True enough. The FBL units almost eliminate all the programming done in the TX. Plus those still flying nitro almost all have governors as well, making acceleration mix unneeded. Once I went FBL I pretty much stopped flying my FB helis. But even then, with HH gyros the need for many mixes went away.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
Signal strenght is coming with the first software update if I recall correctly from the spec posted on the Robbe website
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
I'm #4 on Lindsay's list!
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,372 Posts
I sure hope so! That's a really critical feature and flying without knowing your signal strength is almost as stupid as flying without knowing your RX battery voltage.

Futaba made a huge and arrogant mistake by first, not including telemetry from the start, and second, not implementing the same simple blinking led glitch counter that we've seen on receivers for the last 30 years or so. I suspect the flawed thinking was that they wanted to imply that Spektrum needed a glitch counter because the signal was poor when the reality is that anyone can install a receiver poorly and get poor performance.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I got my mixes mixed up. Acceleration mix adds throttle to compensate for pitch changes. Like revo mix, it is hardly ever used. Not sure why it is still there
I thought Acceleration mix was based on how fast you moved the throttle/collective stick i.e. the mix doesn't do anything if you move the stick slowly. I don't own a Futaba that will do this so I could be confused. I assume this would be useful in a fixed wing model when the pilot hits the throttle on a botched landing attempt or rushed takeoff?

Revo mix (pitch to rudder) is a curve mix, at least in the 8FG.

Throttle mix (ail to thr; ele to thr; rud to thr) is a percentage in the 8FG.

I'm guessing the mixes still exist for the FAI & scale flybar pilots. Plus, more features are good for marketing, right.

I agree HH gyros, FBL & good governors have pretty much removed the need for most of the mixes we used in the good old days.

Doug B.
dougbo is offline Find More Posts by dougbo