HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:24 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,854 Posts
David is right on the safety of one power source over the other. On the electrics I use a throttle cut out on my F mode switch. With this switch I can disarm the plane at the flight line. It is too easy to hit the throttle when they are armed on the bench.

On fuel planes the use of start stands or a start leash is recommended to keep the plane from coming at you on start up.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:55 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2013
159 Posts
" If you plan on flying much in the winter cold (below 50F), E is the way to go. as your fingers won't move the sticks after trying to start that darn glow engine!"

Not true, I have flown my glows in 95 to 1f, it is harder to start below 40 but once you have done it all winter in Colorado believed me you will be a expert.
hawl131 is offline Find More Posts by hawl131
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:55 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,367 Posts
The throttle cut out is the way to go. My argument that Nitro is safer is A Fact. stats prove that. In order to start a nitro Engine, you have to physically start the engine. And know its starting and obviously take the necessary precautions to avoid injury. It can't fire up by mistakenly hitting the throttle. A lot of newbies don't know enough about the electric to stay entirely safe. Electric is very deceiving. It seems they are harmless because they're not as intimidating as a Gas/nitro motor. I see and hear about lots of accidents where someone had armed the plane and it takes off at someone or themselves.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:58 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
The throttle cut out is the way to go. My argument that Nitro is safer is A Fact. stats prove that. In order to start a nitro Engine, you have to physically start the engine. And know its starting and obviously take the necessary precautions to avoid injury. It can't fire up by mistakenly hitting the throttle. A lot of newbies don't know enough about the electric to stay entirely safe. Electric is very deceiving. It seems they are harmless because they're not as intimidating as a Gas/nitro motor. I see and hear about lots of accidents where someone had armed the plane and it takes off at someone or themselves.
If people would set up electrics with a shorting plug that is only inserted from behind the prop when at the flight line ready to taxi onto the runway electric is as safe as anything. You eliminate any chance of slipping with a starter that could get caught in the prop and break the prop with potential injury from flying pieces. You never have to be in front of the prop for any reason. With the shorting plug you will never start the motor without knowing you want to start it.

When starting either type it is obviously best to have the throttle stick in the proper position to avoid undesirable high rpm. That mistake could be made with either type. But with electric any decent ESC will not even arm unless the throttle is at the lowest position, off. So you could even get away with it. If your throttle is accidentally up high when you start a fuel engine it will go straight to that rpm.

Electric should never be armed in the pitts or at your assembly table. It should always be done with shorting plug at the flight line. Once you are at the flight line with an armed ESC or running nitro an accidental rev up is equally possible with either.

You may have seen people with armed electrics that got away. Doesn't make electric more dangerous, it makes people more dangerous/stupid by following bad practices.

Say nitro is safer is not a fact, it is a perception. What are the stats you speak of that prove it to be safer? Just because there may be more accidents with electric doesn't make them more dangerous. I am sure there are many-fold more of them out there and being run by people who do not set them up or operate them properly.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:58 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,367 Posts
Well, in my case. I have to start my Engine at Full throttle. But I love it !
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Apr 04, 2013, 10:46 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
A basic out of the box electric setup requires a bit less knowledge, is less fuss and requires less field equipment in general than running a two or four stroke from break-in to routine flying, understanding how to tune to various weather conditions, troubleshooting, etc... but i'm old school and like everyting about fuel... so. to each his own, though I have a few electrics too.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin