HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:35 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,514 Posts
Discussion
Rx/BEC question

Ok, I think I goofed. I have a 2.4 Rx, Optima 6 lite.
I wanted to use a CC BEC, as I found that the BEC in the Eflite 60 amp ESC cannot handle thier own electric retracts.
But.....here's the rub: I have Ail, Ele,Throttle,Rudder, Flaps, and Retracts.....so where do I run the CC BEC to??? Do I need the get the 7Ch Rx to run that?
I can't believe I made such a simple mistake after 30 years in the hobby lol
Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
Ok, I think I goofed. I have a 2.4 Rx, Optima 6 lite. I wanted to use a CC BEC, as I found that the BEC in the Eflite 60 amp ESC cannot handle thier own electric retracts. But.....here's the rub: I have Ail, Ele,Throttle,Rudder, Flaps, and Retracts.....so where do I run the CC BEC to??? Do I need the get the 7Ch Rx to run that? I can't believe I made such a simple mistake after 30 years in the hobby lol Mark
A switchmode regulator can be input via Y with any servo, even better distribute the load and run
two leads, one in with the Retract and one with say Flaps - both draw high currents and will get ample feed.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installed - Avoid Brownout & Add Redundancy,
even one for each servo.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,514 Posts
So, what you are saying is run a Y connector from the Rx on a retract channel with one lead to the retracts, and one to the BEC?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,354 Posts
I can't follow Alan T's instructions with all the links and cross-references to other instructions that often don't seem to relate to my original question. I'm still not completely sure how to connect Optima receiver's SPC port to motor batteries and add-on BEC's following the confusing diagrams included in the receiver instruction sheets. BTW, Park BEC's from Dimension Engineering with the "bypass feature" do not connect the same as other brands of BEC's or speed controls with built in switch mode BEC's. This stuff shouldn't be so confusing and I know it's not just me that's confused.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
So, what you are saying is run a Y connector from the Rx on a retract channel with one lead to the retracts, and one to the BEC?
Yes, as stated: "A switchmode regulator can be input via Y (lead) with any servo"
and referred:
"User can supply power to the servos by one battery (switchmode Regulator aka CC BEC)
plugged into any unused channel, not just the one marked "BAT" or multiple batteries,
even one per servo."

quote CC BEC:
"Our Battery Eliminator Circuits are small devices that eliminate the need for a receiver and servo battery pack.
They draw higher voltage from the motor batteries and drop it to a voltage level
that is suitable for your receiver and servos.
This is required in applications which draw high power for multiple servos or use more
than 3S motor packs, as most ESCs with linear BECs are not designed for these applications.
NOTE:CC BECshould never be operated in series or parallel with another BEC
or backup receiver pack connected to the RX/Servo side of the circuit."

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,514 Posts
Interesting...