HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2011, 03:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Discussion
Flybarless heads an 3 axis Gyros

I just want to get my facts straight here

1... A flybarless head has far fewer parts than a flybar head so will therefore be cheaper/easier to reapair?

2... The 3 axis Gyro makes the helicopter more stable so when fitted with the above would make the heli easier to fly for a novice?
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 03:41 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post

1... A flybarless head has far fewer parts than a flybar head so will therefore be cheaper/easier to reapair?
Yes a FBL head is simpler to repair/set up but the servos are more likely to be damaged in a crash (on a FB head the FB itself provides some protection). JJust keep this in mind.

Quote:
2... The 3 axis Gyro makes the helicopter more stable so when fitted with the above would make the heli easier to fly for a novice?
A properly set up 3axis gyro will be easier to fly (FBL helis fly like a "bigger" bird, more stable and predictable, especially in wind). But you need to be able to fly a slightly out of trim heli (or at least hover it) in order to set up a gyro properly so for a complete novice it will be a LOT easier if you have someone to help you set it up properly.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old May 03, 2011, 04:47 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
16,996 Posts
Quote:

1. Yes

2. That all depends on the flybarless controller that you select. Controllers like the SK720 have both 3-axis gyros and 3-axis accelerometers, which really make a big difference. The SK720 also has a self-leveling mode that really helps reduce crashes for beginners. It also has optional GPS. http://www.skookumrobotics.com/products/sk720.html

Other brands are less expensive but have fewer features.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 03, 2011, 05:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
I was thinking of either the beast or the turnigy, but that skookum one looks interesting even at twice the price
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old May 03, 2011, 10:48 AM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
I hear the beast is good, I dont know much about the Turnigy, but I can definately say stay away from the Gaui gu-365 which is to sensative to vibrations and is very unstable.
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
Old May 03, 2011, 12:52 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
5,994 Posts
The BeastX is the easiest to set up as far as quality flybarless systems go. The Align 3G is the cheapest but is more tricky to set up. There also seems to be issues especially with hardcore 3D. But I found it performs very well for the general sports flying that I do. It has definitely made my helis much easier and predictable to fly. It may be worthwhile waiting for the Align 3GX as many of the issues should be sorted out plus it would have more features.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 03, 2011, 04:26 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
16,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlyer1 View Post
definately say stay away from the Gaui gu-365 which is to sensative to vibrations and is very unstable.
Yes, that’s by far the worst gyro on the market.

The new Futaba CGY750 is also very nice. I just started flying one about a month ago and it’s fantastic. One nice feature is the flight mode selection that allows you to select 5 settings from beginner to 3D expert. You just select one and it changes all the appropriate parameters.

It also includes a display unit that allows you to easily change parameters at the field. You can also adjust all the gain of all three gyros (3-axis) from the transmitter. If you are a tower club member you can get them for $270. Since it’s Futaba it’s probably the highest quality gyro on the market. Futaba also uses an advanced gyro sensor that others don’t have that gives it the best vibration tolerance.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXARBT&P=ML

The easiest to setup and fly is the SK720 because of its self-leveling feature and the setup wizard.

Last edited by RC Man; May 03, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old May 03, 2011, 07:14 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Futaba also uses an advanced gyro sensor that others donít have that gives it the best vibration tolerance
You have specs on this chip? Assuming it is MEMS (hard to see how it could be anything else for the size, or at least anything better) the sensors all have very similar performance characteristics. Noise rejection is a function of filtering in any case as you want the sensor to be more sensitive and then you filter out input that does not match things that will come from the heli, such as high frequency noise.

Most FBL units have excellent vibration rejection (except the GAUI but they are replacing that with a mini V-bar with a more basic SW setup) as it is rather easy to isolate noise from gyroscope inputs. The SK720 requires low vibrations so the accelerometers will work (it is much harder to remove noise effects from them as you are integrating twice for position and this amplifies noise)

I don't doubt that the Futaba system is well programmed but i doubt the sensors are anything special.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old May 04, 2011, 01:53 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,117 Posts
Quote:

1-Fewer parts, but I damage mostly the same parts. The rotor blades, main, and feathering shaft. On flybarred heli I usually bend the flybar. Easier to repair after a crash, almost the same since its rare for me to damage a linkage. Initial build quicker on flybarless.
2-The gyro is in charge of the helicopter. With remote control of the settings on the SK720, you can at the flick of a switch go from better than coaxial stability to all out 3D.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 04, 2011, 05:15 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
16,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
You have specs on this chip? Assuming it is MEMS (hard to see how it could be anything else for the size, or at least anything better) the sensors all have very similar performance characteristics. Noise rejection is a function of filtering in any case as you want the sensor to be more sensitive and then you filter out input that does not match things that will come from the heli, such as high frequency noise.

Most FBL units have excellent vibration rejection (except the GAUI but they are replacing that with a mini V-bar with a more basic SW setup) as it is rather easy to isolate noise from gyroscope inputs. The SK720 requires low vibrations so the accelerometers will work (it is much harder to remove noise effects from them as you are integrating twice for position and this amplifies noise)

I don't doubt that the Futaba system is well programmed but i doubt the sensors are anything special.

http://www.pinpoint-gyro.com/futaba-...inpoint%C2%AE/

Chip Specifications: http://www.pinpoint-gyro.com/products/CRM200

Last edited by RC Man; May 04, 2011 at 11:51 AM.