HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:41 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,077 Posts
Got my white Bravo SX today. First impression: Wow!

Minor gripe, during packing or shipping one of the skis had moved a little and had been caught between the 2 halves of the foam in which the heli lies embedded. After taking a few pictures as "evidence" I took the gamble of bending it back, and that worked. Charged up the battery, and then checked it's weight. Mine was 4.72g, which is kinda heavy, but was to be expected of a 150 mAh battery.

Then, maiden flight. Again wow! It makes quite a bit more noise as noted, but the way it flies, amazing! Left turns, right turns, no skidding out of control if you don't correct the forward or afterward drift that comes with rudder turns, it really turns almost like a coaxial, like Marconos also mentioned! The center of gravity seems spot on with this setup. I also behaves perfectly in ground effect, no sliding sideways or in other directions, made a "scale like" landing on the first touch down attempt. Nice work, Nine Eagles!

Things still to test are outdoor behavior, I hope it flies just as fast and yet controllable as Marconos demonstrated in his vid on Youtube. And I think this one really needs Hyperion power. Perhaps the stock battery needs a few cycles to get "warmed up" and the gears haven't run in yet, but I noticed much less pulling out power than with my stock Solo Pro, even when it has the OEM battery instead of an Intellect 130.

From now on I might change my advice for a first 4 channel heli to "forget the coaxials, take a Bravo SX." Just as stable, and more options for outdoor flight.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:02 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
But you do get the Deluxe edition then, with carrying case and charger.

And it is actually 143 USD.
Thanks for the accuracy.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:12 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
will it piro better than the SP?

Quote:
Got my white Bravo SX today. First impression: Wow!

Minor gripe, during packing or shipping one of the skis had moved a little and had been caught between the 2 halves of the foam in which the heli lies embedded. After taking a few pictures as "evidence" I took the gamble of bending it back, and that worked. Charged up the battery, and then checked it's weight. Mine was 4.72g, which is kinda heavy, but was to be expected of a 150 mAh battery.

Then, maiden flight. Again wow! It makes quite a bit more noise as noted, but the way it flies, amazing! Left turns, right turns, no skidding out of control if you don't correct the forward or afterward drift that comes with rudder turns, it really turns almost like a coaxial, like Marconos also mentioned! The center of gravity seems spot on with this setup. I also behaves perfectly in ground effect, no sliding sideways or in other directions, made a "scale like" landing on the first touch down attempt. Nice work, Nine Eagles!

Things still to test are outdoor behavior, I hope it flies just as fast and yet controllable as Marconos demonstrated in his vid on Youtube. And I think this one really needs Hyperion power. Perhaps the stock battery needs a few cycles to get "warmed up" and the gears haven't run in yet, but I noticed much less pulling out power than with my stock Solo Pro, even when it has the OEM battery instead of an Intellect 130.

From now on I might change my advice for a first 4 channel heli to "forget the coaxials, take a Bravo SX." Just as stable, and more options for outdoor flight.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:24 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
will it piro better than the SP?
You know, I was waiting for you to ask that...

I will test tomorrow perhaps, but judging by the fact that it almost turns on the spot with no elevator correction to avoid sliding forward or backward, I think this one will piro nicely. The tail motor is bigger than the one on the Solo Pro, and the tail is longer, so it should be more effective.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:19 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
I hope it does - the solo pro needed a stronger tail motor and or mixing

Quote:
You know, I was waiting for you to ask that...

I will test tomorrow perhaps, but judging by the fact that it almost turns on the spot with no elevator correction to avoid sliding forward or backward, I think this one will piro nicely. The tail motor is bigger than the one on the Solo Pro, and the tail is longer, so it should be more effective.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:29 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,077 Posts
Quote:
I hope it does - the solo pro needed a stronger tail motor and or mixing
No mixing please. Would require some fancy TX that doesn't exist yet for these helis to unmix it again, like people do on the mSR. I think the altered center of gravity on this one changes turn behavior a lot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:33 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,431 Posts
you mentioned that the pull out power was a bit sluggish as compared to the SP - but what about FFF?

Quote:
No mixing please. Would require some fancy TX that doesn't exist yet for these helis to unmix it again, like people do on the mSR. I think the altered center of gravity on this one changes turn behavior a lot.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:40 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,077 Posts
Quote:
you mentioned that the pull out power was a bit sluggish as compared to the SP - but what about FFF?
Wasn't ready to try FFF in my 5 meter wide at max width living room...

Waiting for better outdoor conditions.

And the sluggish response might be down to the battery being new, and not broken in, or just being like the stock Solo Pro battery, a little weak. I will test with a Thunder Power 160, converted to NE connector the next indoor flight.

Also remember that the gears are not broken in yet.

Btw, did you already check out Marconos' vid, which seems to demonstrate so nice outdoor FFF performance? Here's the link:
nine eagles bravo sx (7 min 40 sec)

Edit: windless condition this morning, took her out for an outdoor maiden. Amazing! Fast, but still fully controllable. Didn't go to the max, but the forward speed surprised me, it seems definitely faster than the Solo Pro. It also makes banked turns with just rudder if you enter the turn with some speed. Looks great with that scale body and navigation flashlight on the bottom of the canopy.

Sluggish response is the battery. I tried a Thunder Power 160 and gained 10% throttle range back. With the stock 150 it hovers at over 60% with freshly charged battery, with the Thunder Power I got hover at only 50%, which is nice for such a heavy heli.

And now, piros... Right piro is not so fast, but the heli stays in place without elevator correction. Left piro is faster than the Solo Pro. It's not the crazy spin the mSR can pull off, but it looks very convincing. I really like the flight envelope of this heli. Just get a better battery than the stock one (hope Hyperion will start fitting their 160s with NE connector as well, just like they did with their 130s) and you got a very controllable and fast heli, that also looks great. [RAVE mode off]
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 10, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:35 PM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
Anyone have links to sellers? I can find only parts on clubheli.com, not the whole copter.
bechtelfriend is offline Find More Posts by bechtelfriend
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:25 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bechtelfriend View Post
Anyone have links to sellers? I can find only parts on clubheli.com, not the whole copter.
Check www.eBay.de or www.buzzflyer.com

A few questions for those who have taken the canopy off. Can someone post a close up picture of the receiver, showing where all the wires go?

And has someone already tried a RX-06 receiver in the Bravo SX? So when you get a problem, and have a spare Solo Pro around, that receiver can be used.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:18 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,244 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bechtelfriend View Post
special offer: 90 Euros plus shipping:

http://www.bitrade.de/

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:21 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,244 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
A few questions for those who have taken the canopy off. Can someone post a close up picture of the receiver, showing where all the wires go?

And has someone already tried a RX-06 receiver in the Bravo SX? So when you get a problem, and have a spare Solo Pro around, that receiver can be used.
I have closed it again - maybe open it again later (as already told, its not that easy if not impossible without breaking the canopy).
The receiver has two additional wires for the flashlight, everything else looked quite the same as in the Solo Pro... check it later...

Walter
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:42 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Wasn't ready to try FFF in my 5 meter wide at max width living room...

And the sluggish response might be down to the battery being new, and not broken in, or just being like the stock Solo Pro battery, a little weak.
I fly two Bravo SX now, and one of them (not the one with the tail rotor bushing coming out) seems to have a worse tail motor response (or sometimes even too much)

Quote:
Edit: windless condition this morning, took her out for an outdoor maiden. Amazing! Fast, but still fully controllable. Didn't go to the max, but the forward speed surprised me, it seems definitely faster than the Solo Pro. It also makes banked turns with just rudder if you enter the turn with some speed. Looks great with that scale body and navigation flashlight on the bottom of the canopy.
I flew about 10 flights in a hall now, and the Bravo SX is wonderful. Of course I gave full power, and it seems to be a little faster than the Solo Pro.
Turning at high speed is a bit different (more difficult in the beginning if you are used to the Solo Pro) to Solo Pro, because the tail motor is stronger, so you do not have to give so much input with the stick.
BTW: fast turn at high speed is the only manoevre, where balance bar strikes appear (you can hear it - but it has never been a problem).
Balance bars of both of my flying Bravo SX are straight as new - so this is much better than in the Solo Pro (it is the same type of balance bar, the whole rotor is the same as in the SP).

Quote:
which is nice for such a heavy heli.
Heavy??? You wont find many lighter helis...

Quote:
Just get a better battery than the stock one
Well, I think the stock battery is quite ok, and the Bravo SX responds fast and powerful (but of course I do not know, how your battery respondes) - I compared stock NE 120 mAh and 150 mAh - even 110 mAh - , both (120 mAh, 150 mAh) HK replacements, and Turnigy normal and nanotec in the Solo Pro and have to state, that (full batteries, rather new) I cannot find many differences (if any) between the types in responding and power (flying the Solo Pro).

I will try the Zippy 240 mAh from Hobbyking (which I use in several helis - i.e. in the Nine Eagles Twingo). I like this Zippy 240 very much, think its a perfect battery. When the first landing gear is gone (did not break one till now), i will do the modification.
It should be easy, because the battery seems do fit between the canopy and landing gear (maybe very easy to fix with a rubber).
The Bravo SX is a little tail heavy (the only point of critisism from my side - beside the noise), maybe this will also improve when using the Zippy 240 (which is much shorter than the 150 mAh original and the 150 mAh replacement from HK) - the center of gravity should be more in front then.

Walter
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:52 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldsneffe View Post
I flew about 10 flights in a hall now, and the Bravo SX is wonderful. Of course I gave full power, and it seems to be a little faster than the Solo Pro.
Turning at high speed is a bit different (more difficult in the beginning if you are used to the Solo Pro) to Solo Pro, because the tail motor is stronger, so you do not have to give so much input with the stick.
BTW: fast turn at high speed is the only manoevre, where balance bar strikes appear (you can hear it - but it has never been a problem).
Balance bars of both of my flying Bravo SX are straight as new - so this is much better than in the Solo Pro (it is the same type of balance bar, the whole rotor is the same as in the SP).

Heavy??? You wont find many lighter helis...

Well, I think the stock battery is quite ok, and the Bravo SX responds fast and powerful (but of course I do not know, how your battery respondes) - I compared stock NE 120 mAh and 150 mAh - even 110 mAh - , both (120 mAh, 150 mAh) HK replacements, and Turnigy normal and nanotec in the Solo Pro and have to state, that (full batteries, rather new) I cannot find many differences (if any) between the types in responding and power (flying the Solo Pro).

I will try the Zippy 240 mAh from Hobbyking (which I use in several helis - i.e. in the Nine Eagles Twingo). I like this Zippy 240 very much, think its a perfect battery. When the first landing gear is gone (did not break one till now), i will do the modification.
It should be easy, because the battery seems do fit between the canopy and landing gear (maybe very easy to fix with a rubber).
The Bravo SX is a little tail heavy (the only point of critisism from my side - beside the noise), maybe this will also improve when using the Zippy 240 (which is much shorter than the 150 mAh original and the 150 mAh replacement from HK) - the center of gravity should be more in front then.

Walter

I flew outside a few days ago, handles really well. During what move you got the flybar strike? Left banked turn, just like on the Solo Pro?

It is heavy compared to the Solo Pro. This one weighs 33g with battery, the Solo Pro is just 28g, so this one is 20% heavier.

My stock battery was a little weak in the beginning. The heli needed over 60% throttle to hover, and after 3 minutes this had already gone up to 80%. I already noticed that after the first charge it only held 4.15V which is quite low. It seems to be getting better now, voltage after charge is now at 4.20V, so perhaps it needed to break in a little.

I tried a Thunder Power 160 as well, with NE connector modded on it. I needed 50% throttle for hover, and had better power than with the stock battery. After 4 minutes I could stil hold hover at 60% throttle.

In the Solo Pro I can find some differences between batteries. But these are usually not visible indoor, except in the way the tail holds during a punch, or how much you have the trim the tail during the flight, to keep the tail steady as the voltage of the battery drops.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2010, 06:10 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,244 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
During what move you got the flybar strike? Left banked turn, just like on the Solo Pro?
Pfft... really not sure anymore. But I guess, it was hard left turn with full (or high) speed.
It's only a "CLACK", no problem at all - if not heard, I even would not have recoginzed it.

Walter