HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:31 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
Build Log
Rake design WACO YMF at 60"

OK, so here we go. This is a kit build, actually the prototype build, of one of Peter's new designs. I had been undecided about my next prototype build from Peter. I knew I wanted another larger plane, if you consider 60" large (it does qualify for Giant Scale). Thought about an SRE and an FE8 but finally settled on the WACO YMF as it will also be a nicely aerobatic plane.

It also meant Peter would be tortured again, required to use his half shell method of design/constrcution. And, I made it worse by insisting on top and bottom shells again. I love the way they go together. In the midst of the design Peter lost some of his drawing so actually had to draw all the formers twice! So, even more CAD torture

Anyway, Vicki was nice enough to cut the parts for me and my bench was cleared off today so I could get started.

Oh, forgot, one other minor detail. This will be built with dual power. 4120 outrunner (probably on 6s) and a diesel! Yep, I am hooked on those things. THe size was a question. Since the SPAD was 54" and 5lb and my GeeBee E was 75" and 9lb, I figure this one will come in around 7lb. After talking to Bob Davis and discussing my anticipated flying (very robust aerobatics) we decided on a .90 Super Tigre conversion. .60 might have done the job and .75 would have, but, the .90 shares the same case with them so that's where I went.

Photos in a minute.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Last edited by portablevcb; Nov 20, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:39 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
Here are some full size pics. Yes, they are still being made and you can buy your very own YMF with a modern instrument panel and zero time engine.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:44 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
In the beginning...there was balsa and ply. Then the laser cut and there were parts. Parts that even fit together! If you put them in the right place. I tried to glue the U/C plate where the cabane plate goes. Caught it in time so all is well

Also thought I'd put a pic of the diesel in here too.

The motors will be set up on a 'power pack' setup that will fix to the firewall with four screws. The electric plate will hold the esc, space for the batteries and the motor. The diesel plate will hold the engine, throttle servo, and fuel tank.

Due to the size this plane will have a separate battery to power the rcvr and servos.

charlie
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:49 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Charlie ,

I am a bit confused on the "dual power" bit ???

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:50 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
Last comments for the day.

Peter and I also discussed several methods for the wings to come off. We settled on top and bottom wings both being one piece. Take off the top one, then detach the bottom from underneath. The LG setup made this possible and looks like it will work out well.

It also means that the rigging will not need to be functional. I will still have it and will probably be nylon coated stainless steel just to have the right look. Will see what happens when I get to that point.

charlie
Old Oct 23, 2009, 07:47 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,457 Posts
John,
No mate, it won't have an electric motor AND an wet and awfully smelly, it can be built with either power system. All Charlie's fault and absolutely nothing whatever to do with me.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:47 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
This thread sounds too WACKO to ingore, so I'll watch the WACO go together! If railway locomotoves can have diesel-electric power, why not this bird?

Geoff
GeoffinIN is online now Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:53 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
Well, I had not thought of a diesel electric. Would be a bit of a waste of weight. Diesel running a generator that runs the motor. But, if you had a 4 or 6 or 10 engine model, it might just work.

Peter is correct, and, he bears no fault for the smelly stuff ether

Completely my idea but one I have contemplated on a smaller airplane before. Dual power is useful here because of places to fly smelly stuff are so limited. I can fly electric 4 to 10 times a month, but, only get out to the IC field about once a month. So, if it was only a diesel my flying time with it would be limited. With electric power pack I can get more flying time with it, and, still be able to satisfy my quest for diesel engines.

Yep, I do like to be different.

charlie
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:54 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
But, Peter has been nice enough to design this one a bit on the stout side, so putting a hulking .90 up in the front won't hurt it a bit.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:40 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,354 Posts
I see the dual power setup as an adventurous idea. It should be a challenge to get both working well so that switching from one to the other won't require retrimming or be confusing. Are you going to use a battery pack to power receiver and servos in either propulsive power mode? Wouldn't it be great if IC engines had oil pumps so there would be nothing but a little exhaust soot to clean up. Motorcycles became a whole lot nicer when total loss lubrication was done away with.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:56 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
Yes, both will require separate battery for rcvr and servos.

One of the nice things about a Diesel is lack of cleanup. The exhaust will be routed down below the fuse about 2 or 3 inches, along the LG.

Trim changes will be different. But, I can bind the receiver to two different 'models' in the radio so that there is not any problem resetting.

charlie
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:17 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
Waco Cabin

Boy if I could get Mr. Rake to do a 60 incb YKC cabin model so I could prototype it for him, 1932 or 33 would be awsome. Then we could have two Wacos in the buildoff. Hint, Peter, Hint. Sooner or later I will talk him jnto it. The YMF will be a great flyer. Have fun doing it. I will be watching.
Marion
sweptside is offline Find More Posts by sweptside
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:04 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Charlie ,

The 7lbs sounds about right . A friend has a similar size Aeromaster biplane on 6s and weighs right around your estimate . I think his is on an E-flite 60 with a 14x? prop . Robust aerobatics indeed . Will do a vertical rolling climb till almost out of sight ...with about an 8-10 takeoff . Hold on !!!

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:36 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,354 Posts
Wacos and Stearmans

Wacos and Stearmans dolled up like in the pics always take me back to the Cole Bros Air Circus acts in mid-west air shows of the 50's. The Stearmans had dark red and white covering with red and white checkerboard ring cowls and vertical stab trim. Cole Bros Air Circus was in white letters and inverted on fuselage sides. The bellowing radials were magical.

Hard to find pics of their planes on the internet now. Here's one of Marion Cole's plane at a later date. Here's a reprint of Popular Mechanics 1952 wiht an article about the Cole Bros plus article about R/C and other stuff of interest to modelers:

http://books.google.com/books?id=mtw...age&q=&f=false

You oughta have a smoke system
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 24, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:54 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
While the internal combustion or electric quick change option may be new, Bill Effinger's (W.E. Technical Services) plans featured "works in a drawer" removable engine/fuel tank trays so one could use the same power system on several of his designs.

Given the great color scheme choices, this is bound to be one purrrrty model!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is online now Find More Posts by GeoffinIN