HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:57 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
My folks in Waterloo Iowa were telling me about the cold you guys are having...my blood has gotten thin living here. But we are also supposed to see -10 to -15 degrees early next week. Good for building. Bad for those of us who have oil heat!!!!!!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:08 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,077 Posts
Forecast in KC says -10 Sunday night with a balmy high of 9 Monday.
Ain't no tellin what it would be if it tweren't fur "global warming".
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:23 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,617 Posts
Shooooot-man...I was shoveling my drive way this morning,at 4 am,with a wind chill of 8 above...After awhile, yer hands just stop hurtin'

For once, I got more snow than Aaron

I just put the last of five coats of varnish on the new (6' x 18') work bench in the garage.

New workbench, New Year, and new models to build.Hoo-RUH !
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:41 AM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,101 Posts
I am sitting in Williston ND right now... Pretty cold here too.
sirzeppu is offline Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Jan 03, 2014, 07:22 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,809 Posts
EJ says that he flew out of DC, just as the snow started. A friend in Maine, says that it went south of him, but it was -20.

It's a balmy 6, here. Don is freezing with his 45.

It's supposed to hit 30, tomorrow, then Ken's weather hits.

I gotta find the phone number for my fish eye supplier.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 03, 2014, 08:23 AM
Expert in sawdust production
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2007
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post

I gotta find the phone number for my fish eye supplier.
I got plenty to spare I can send you some!

The second wave of cold hasn't here yest we are going to be in the 40s today and tomorrow but the high on Sunday is suppose to be 18.
flyerinokc is offline Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Old Jan 03, 2014, 09:26 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc View Post
I got plenty to spare I can send you some!

The second wave of cold hasn't here yest we are going to be in the 40s today and tomorrow but the high on Sunday is suppose to be 18.
Send 'em to Ken. That's who I wanted them for, anyway.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:06 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,064 Posts
Quote:
EJ says that he flew out of DC, just as the snow started.
DC was just barely on the southern edge of the front. As the sun set, it started sprinkling, and when we taxied out to the runway, you could see very small snow flakes. Timing is everything!

How long does it take to warm-up your shop in this weather Tom, and can you turn it on from your house?

EJ
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 03, 2014, 02:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,101 Posts
Just hit Rapid City for the overnight and it's a balmy 39 and beautiful. Wish I had a plane to fly.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined Aug 2007
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
Just hit Rapid City for the overnight and it's a balmy 39 and beautiful. Wish I had a plane to fly.
Maybe you can find a Parkflyer at the LHS?
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:26 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
DC was just barely on the southern edge of the front. As the sun set, it started sprinkling, and when we taxied out to the runway, you could see very small snow flakes. Timing is everything!

How long does it take to warm-up your shop in this weather Tom, and can you turn it on from your house?

EJ
I just had a weird experience. I tried to reply, and the forum editing sensor said my post contained the word that begins with "S" and ends with "T".

I read that post 10 times, and could not find it, but the editor wouldn't let me post. I gave up.

EJ, because my shop's refrigerator requires a minimum temp of 55 dgrees to function properly, I have to heat the shop constantly during the Winter. I pump up the heat to 65, while I'm out there, otherwise the thermostat is set at 57.

Before I had that fridge, I heated the shop only when it was used. The temps would become comfortable, on ) F day, within 10-15 minutes, although the furnace would run maybe another half hour.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2007
553 Posts
Maybe the forum editing sensor drinks?
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:38 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,809 Posts
Years ago, when I lived in Iowa, I got the brilliant idea to visit my brother, over a 4day Memorial Day weekend. Three of us were to ride our bike, and we'd ride the 1000 miles to, Buffalo Wyoming, straight through.

We were to leave when I got off work, but one guy showed up 4 hours late. We left town around 8:00 PM. I got no sleep during the wait.

We hit Rapid City before dawn, and decided to stop for breakfast. Next thing I knew, I was laying in the booth, waking up !

The guys ordered and ate breakfast. They let me sleep. They said the waitress didn't mind, after they let her know that I wasn't inebriated. LOL

That's my Rapid City story. LOL

And yes, we made that 1000 miles within our planned 24 hours. We visited my brother for one day, and took two days to ride home.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Years ago, when I lived in Iowa, I got the brilliant idea to visit my brother, over a 4day Memorial Day weekend. Three of us were to ride our bike, and we'd ride the 1000 miles to, Buffalo Wyoming, straight through.

We were to leave when I got off work, but one guy showed up 4 hours late. We left town around 8:00 PM. I got no sleep during the wait.

We hit Rapid City before dawn, and decided to stop for breakfast. Next thing I knew, I was laying in the booth, waking up !

The guys ordered and ate breakfast. They let me sleep. They said the waitress didn't mind, after they let her know that I wasn't inebriated. LOL

That's my Rapid City story. LOL

And yes, we made that 1000 miles within our planned 24 hours. We visited my brother for one day, and took two days to ride home.
What a ride! Wow.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 08:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Had a fun one today! Yesterday I woke up and it was -30 F and needed to drive to Fargo for a VA Doctor's appointment at 11:00. Other than being very cold, the drive went just fine, The wife felt that since we we're only 80 miles away from her Dad's we should drive to Fertile MN and visit him. We stayed overnight; but heard on the evening news that a storm was headed our way, predicting rising temps and possible freezing rain and blowing snow by 4:00 PM, today. This morning, the wife and I agreed that we should get on the road by noon. We awoke to strong winds and a ground blizzard. Almost as soon as we started out, it started raining! It rained the whole way home and although we seemed to have fairly good traction, the defrost could not keep the windshield clear of ice, so I drove stooped over, looking through the bottom of the windshield. I guess it wasn't the worst trip I've ever made with crap conditions!

The same happened with the windshield and snow on Christmas Eve Day, driving to the oldest son's and then when we drove to St. Cloud last Saturday morning to see the youngest son, we drove through two hours of "Pea Soup Fog"! I'm simply getting to old for this garbage

"And so, that's the news from Lake Wobegon!"
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Jan 04, 2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Removed repeated sentence