SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2015, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by DaveB69
United Kingdom, Scotland, Dalkeith
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
Build Log
1944 Rigel glider - SOS Build Off April 2015 to September 2015

Well, here we go - off work today as I hurt my back yesterday (trying to catch a hat falling off a table...) so as good a time as any to start this!

I'm still swithering (good Scottish word...) about whether this is going to be electric or just plain glider, I think I'll just get started and see how it goes. Initial impressions having printed the plan is that the fuselage looks enormous compared to the wings. The fuselage looks like it will be tricky to build straight.

The plans specify 'PSS' as the material for most parts - a wartime substitute for balsa? Mine will be balsa anyway.
DaveB69 is online now Find More Posts by DaveB69
Last edited by DaveB69; Yesterday at 03:31 PM. Reason: Date should be July 1944 rather than 1943
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2015, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,801 Posts
I've posted the link to this build log. I'm not sure what "PSS" stands for (other than "Power Slope Scale" - but it's obviously not that), as you say probably some balsa alternative (although in my view there ain't no substitute for balsa!) brought about by wartime shortages.

Diamond fuselages can be a bit tricky to get straight, you might like to consider some form of simple jig.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jul 02, 2015, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by RobtP
New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington City
Joined Dec 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB69 View Post
The plans specify 'PSS' as the material for most parts - a wartime substitute for balsa?
P.S.S. apparently stood for "Premier Special Substitute", a balsa alternative marketed by Premier Aeromodel Supplies in the UK during the war years. This advertisement from September 1941 Aeromodeller doesn't say what the wood was, but the editorial in the same issue mentions other woods such as basswood, satinwood and obeche becoming available, so probably one of those.

The Rigel is a nice looking design.

Bob
RobtP is offline Find More Posts by RobtP
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
Bob, thanks for digging that out, very interesting. I can't quite make out the sizes in the comparison table with balsa, but it looks like they were basically using one size down from what you would use with balsa.

Not much progress so far, I have managed to make a ply wing rib template which turned out too small, need to reprint it slightly scaled up.

I'm thinking I might build the fuselage split horizontally with triangular formers top and bottom, I stand a better chance of getting it straight that way.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by JeffMac
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
934 Posts
This is an interesting glider and will be enjoyable to fly !

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by Applehoney
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,686 Posts
You have a straight square section under the wing; assemble the sides there (with a couple of temporary cardboard alignment formers, if the need for such is felt) and when dry pull in the nose to a front former, the rear so that the sides meet. Fill in spacers thereafter.

Diamond fuselages are only a regular box on its edge; not hard to build
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Last edited by Applehoney; Yesterday at 10:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by RobtP
New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington City
Joined Dec 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB69 View Post
I can't quite make out the sizes in the comparison table with balsa, but it looks like they were basically using one size down from what you would use with balsa.
This may be slightly clearer. It is taken off a scanned copy of the magazine and because this is a protected document I had to copy it as a screenshot. The original magazine scan, which is a little more legible, but not great, is here with the Premier advertisement towards the end of the magazine on page 528.
http://www.avia-it.com/act/bibliotec...01941%2009.pdf

I would go along with Applehoney on the build. Formers are indicated below each of the wing rest supports and another three spacers back which will guide the shape of the rear section.

Best wishes.

Bob
RobtP is offline Find More Posts by RobtP
Old Today, 07:16 AM
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtP View Post

I would go along with Applehoney on the build. Formers are indicated below each of the wing rest supports and another three spacers back which will guide the shape of the rear section.
OK, you have both convinced me, I'll give it at try as per the plan

I was just imagining myself trying to get it straight in 2 planes at once and it all going horribly wrong! But I am probably over-thinking it.

Dave.
Last edited by DaveB69; Today at 07:18 AM. Reason: can't spell!