SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by Vesp
Joined Jan 2015
57 Posts
Discussion
Limitations of foam?

I'm having some difficulties finding decent comparisons between the abilities of foam wings vs composite.

Are foam wings heavier, limit the weight of an aircraft, or limited to a slower speed?

If one were to put a strong core, such as a carbon fiber tube, would that dramatically improve its pros and cons in comparison to fully composite from foam?
Vesp is offline Find More Posts by Vesp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:27 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,017 Posts
Just look at some of the more sophisticated builds (like from miniphase) and I think the answer is clear: Carbon fiber tubes/rods/strips for handling airframe stresses. The foam is largely just to supply airfoil/fuselage shape. If you're flying ultra-slow with no aerobatics and very little turbulence you can get away with just the foam for a while, but inevitably the wings fold when you pull that 6 G pullout inadvertently - lots of videos to be found of that sort of thing - even happens when some carbon (but not enough) is present (ask me how I know ).
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Jan 20, 2015, 06:50 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,642 Posts
Browse and search the modeling science forum farther down on the main page.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer