HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2015, 04:59 PM
Joined Apr 2014
37 Posts
Discussion
Looking For A Good Quality 1/2A Kit, Trainer

I'm looking for a good quality, and great flying, 1/2A trainer kit. High-wing, but able to upgrade later to flying with ailerons and elevator. I have a brand-new Tee Dee .049.

Are there any "ugly stick" kits available?

regards,
Dave
WestCoastD is offline Find More Posts by WestCoastD
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2015, 11:06 PM
Joined Mar 2015
22 Posts
Black Hawk models made some but he quit producing them last year. Some of his dealers may have some (sorry I don,t).
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN
574-540-1122
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Bob Jablonski is online now Find More Posts by Bob Jablonski
Old Mar 05, 2015, 07:21 AM
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Look for an Ace Whizard or Grasshopper on Ebay. Both have a foam wing, are very durable and fly well. As long as you are on Ebay you could look for an Airtronics Q Tee, or Goldberg Jr Falcon.

Any 2 meter glider can also be easily modified to accept your engine and would make an exceptional trainer but with little upgrade opportunity.

Finally you could check this one out at the Cox International website:
http://coxengines.ca/model-airplane-...-standard.html
049flyer is online now Find More Posts by 049flyer
Last edited by 049flyer; Mar 05, 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 10:41 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,653 Posts
SIG Manufacturing has a couple of trainers that may fit your needs. Both are kits by HERR -- I've had a couple of HERR kits and they are outstanding kits, both in quality and performance.

HERR Starcrusier

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._20Trainers_01

HERR Cloud Ranger

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._20Trainers_01
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Mar 05, 2015, 06:21 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2014
428 Posts
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...trSearch=stick

Not currently in stock, though.
~$32 + Shipping, covering, servos, etc.
PGregory is online now Find More Posts by PGregory
Old Mar 05, 2015, 06:32 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2014
428 Posts
In stock at HK.

Cessna 180 - there are build threads here on RCG so you can get advance info on how to build a winner.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html
PGregory is online now Find More Posts by PGregory
Old Mar 05, 2015, 09:15 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
If you are wanting to learn to fly with a 1/2a plane, you might want to save your new Tee Dee .049 for a better use. These are a high performance engines better suited for other uses. They also require a separate fuel tank and plumbing. This means additional building effort - and getting a separate fuel tank set up properly isn't always easy to get right the first time around.

I would suggest looking for a good used Cox Golden Bee or Black Widow for your first plane. These have integral fuel tanks and mount very simply to a flat firewall with 4 screws. With a little searching you should be able to find a good usable engine in the $20 - $30 range.
silvaire is offline Find More Posts by silvaire
Old Mar 06, 2015, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2014
37 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions. I really like the Sig kits, since they are current.

I grew up watching my dad fly Goldberg Falcon's and other models. I flew control line and some gliders. But, somehow, graduated into racing boats as a young teenager, which I have been heavily involved for many years now. So I have very extensive engine experience (set-up, modding, etc.,...). I'm very knowledgeable with most all the popular types of 2-stroke (nitro) model engines- from Cox to domestic (K&B, Fox, etc.,...) and imports (SupreTigre, OS Max, Picco, NovaRossi, Rossi, OPS, etc.,...). I'm also an experienced builder.

At this point I'm wanting to get more into flying. I'm contemplating getting either a moderate size trainer (maybe .20 - .40 size), or possibly, simply, getting a 1/2A size just for convenience (size- placement into my Mini Cooper hatch-back). But I'm thinking a more moderate size trainer (.20 to .40) may fly more easily?

You have a point there silvaire, using a Golden Bee or Black Widow would be a wiser direction, in case of crashing (smacking the front of the engine). A good idea. I may even just build a Dumas Swamp Buggy air-boat and use the brand-new Tee Dee .049 in it, and be done with it, and get into a larger size trainer? hmmmmm

Ultimately I'm wanting to become a more experienced flyer. Hope to graduate to more low-wing sport planes. Maybe even a pattern type ship one day. I own a brand-new (sealed) Prather Little Toni Quarter Midget kit that I hope to build and be able to fly one day soon.
WestCoastD is offline Find More Posts by WestCoastD
Last edited by WestCoastD; Mar 06, 2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 05:39 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
Traditionally, 1/2a size planes are known for being fun and cheap, but more difficult to learn to fly on than larger models. Your thoughts of getting a .40 size trainer are quite valid. If you are willing to go used and there is a club in your area, a used one can often be found for very little. It's much easier to mentally survive a crash if you don't have your heart and soul into a plane, and to a greater or lesser degree, crash you will.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:20 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,306 Posts
If you go to a 40 sized trainer, the Goldberg Falcon 56 makes a good one. Get a MK 2 not a Mk 3.

But I learned on 1/4A and 1/2A, it's not hard. A Whizard flies nice, and I learned on a single channel Jr Falcon. The way the thing is set up, it will land itself, even with rudder only you can see the plane flare on landing. I added elevator later on, but you could easily add it before flying.

Agree with the suggestion to get a Black Widow to learn on. They are pretty well foolproof as engines go, and help better with the balance as well.

The trick with 1/2A is to keep them light. even 1/2 oz. makes a huge difference in how nicely they fly. With modern radio equipment, this should be easy. Try for 15 oz. or less for a 200 sq inch plane, and you will make one that flies like a dream.

One thing that 1/2A trainers do not like is wind. While you are learning, if there is any wind at all, simply wait for another day.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:49 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,134 Posts
For 1/2a I would check out Sig for their plane kits. They actually have several 1/2a plane kits some are trainers and some are more advanced.
http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...ftF.html?E+Sig
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:12 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,568 Posts
Half A's are Great! for learning on. They fly "fine'
Inevitable Crash repairs can be done in minutes, often on Field.
Not so with even a .20 sized Model. Airtime is what it's All about when learning.
2 mins flying.. going home for repairs.. then back to the field for another 2 min flight is a helluva way to learn

Only caveat with a 1/2A and it's an important one:
WOT for the entire roller coaster ride that Will be your first flights is Not fun.
Throttle is Mandatory IMO.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 13, 2015, 08:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,521 Posts
I get 5mins ish with a TD and 1oz tank.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Mar 13, 2015, 08:48 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
OK, here's another possibility - something easy to build, easy to fly, and makes good use of your TD .049.

Get a Goldberg Gentle Lady or or a SIg Riser, and a Sig SH660 powerpod. You'll also need a Cox or Norvel tank mount to mount your beam mount TD to the powerpod's firewall mount. Throttle is not essential on a powered glider, as it just makes a steady climb until it runs out of fuel. If you are able to fly on fairly calm days, you can successfully teach yourself to fly with a powered glider. Once you have gained some skills, there are a great many 1/2a sport designs that you will then be comfortable and capable of building and flying.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 08:55 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser View Post
I get 5mins ish with a TD and 1oz tank.
Of course You do
A first timer.. onna Black Widow will be struggling to keep it airborne for 1 minute let alone 5.
This is about those first few horrific flights.. not a my fuel tank is bigger than yours.
CL is soooo much easier.. No directional aspect to the controls Just up 'n down.
And even then it's Still an aquired skill.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare