New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2016, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by CC268
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Aug 2011
2,303 Posts
Discussion
Decent thin CA application tips?

Anyone have any good recommendations for some decent thin CA application tips? The ones I have just seem like a total PITA and half the time they end up leaking at the base of the tip where they attach or they split...
CC268 is online now Find More Posts by CC268
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2016, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
2,919 Posts
There are several online examples of making your own.

Heat tubing over a candle flame while pulling it out into a long tiny tube.

Video:

How to Make Very fine bore Nozzle tips for use with CA Super (2 min 12 sec)

He used plastic earbud sticks but lots of different types of tubing works too.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old May 29, 2016, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by BigChinoDon
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2013
68 Posts
Serendipitous timing, I just came to ask the same question. Thanks for posting.
BigChinoDon is offline Find More Posts by BigChinoDon
Old May 30, 2016, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by RACE 66
BELLINGHAM,WASHINGTON
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
Try these !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Anyone have any good recommendations for some decent thin CA application tips? The ones I have just seem like a total PITA and half the time they end up leaking at the base of the tip where they attach or they split...
I got on to these about 2 years ago. More specifically, due to being -cheap- I've got a lifetime supply now.

Maybe not exactly what your looking for though. I just "pinch" the pipette bulb in a 1,2 or 4 ounce CA container and VOLIA ! instant filled applicator for specific applications in building and the like. Once they get crusted up, I cut off the tip and squeeze the glue back in bottle and grab a new pipette and drawn out glue again. Usually a pipette last for a couple of days or so, sometimes I can pull the crud off the tip and it good to go again.

http://www.amazon.com/Premiere-Brand...ed+pack+of+500
RACE 66 is offline Find More Posts by RACE 66
Old May 30, 2016, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
391 Posts
I have found "Sig" ca tips to be the best.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old May 30, 2016, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by CC268
Joined Aug 2011
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE 66 View Post
I got on to these about 2 years ago. More specifically, due to being -cheap- I've got a lifetime supply now.

Maybe not exactly what your looking for though. I just "pinch" the pipette bulb in a 1,2 or 4 ounce CA container and VOLIA ! instant filled applicator for specific applications in building and the like. Once they get crusted up, I cut off the tip and squeeze the glue back in bottle and grab a new pipette and drawn out glue again. Usually a pipette last for a couple of days or so, sometimes I can pull the crud off the tip and it good to go again.

Actually seems like a really good idea...
Old May 31, 2016, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
3,732 Posts
grabbing the tip of the pipette with pliers and pulling will shrink the end down to a very fine needle size.

i've also done the plastic tube and silicone fuel line coupler trick for years. usually use some kind of 1/8" air line i have laying around. only takes a few minutes to make a pile of them and they DO NOT leak.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old May 31, 2016, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by Gwilken
Joined Nov 2009
61 Posts
I use the plastic covering from solid core telephone wire. The contractor who built my house left a full spool of it behind. I just cut the length I need and pull the wire out of the covering. It is perfect for thin ca. I use ZAP ca and just poke A VERY SMALL pin hole in the top when I open it. The plastic tube fits tight in the hole and I just dispose when I finish that session. With 500' of 4 wire cable I doubt I will ever run out.
Gwilken is offline Find More Posts by Gwilken
Old Jun 01, 2016, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by superbee-rc
TripleTreeAerodrome Volunteer
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Nov 2008
301 Posts
My favorite thin CA tip is the small Teflon tube from Zap. Just throw away the big slip on part and use the the small tube. Take a t-pin and make a hole in the top and slip it in. I usually cut it to length about a 1/2" to 1" sticking out. If it clogs the next day just cut a little off and keep going.
http://www.zapglue.com/#!accessories/c5ws
superbee-rc is offline Find More Posts by superbee-rc
Old Jun 01, 2016, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by CC268
Joined Aug 2011
2,303 Posts
Quote:

Which size did you buy?? Seems like the smallest size is what you want for CA
Old Jun 02, 2016, 08:26 AM
BELLINGHAM,WASHINGTON
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
What Size?

I purchased two - The smallest diameter one for " thin as water ca"
and then the larger one for med/thick ca.

Also found out, that when your done with a building session and leaving the pipette after a few days, the ca still is fresh, and majority of the time the end is not clogged. If so, two ways that I clear it. 1. Just grab with your index/thumb fingers on end and pull "crust" away. 2. If it has congealed inside the tip, I'll use an Xacto and cut the tip just a smidgen to open up the end.
Old Jun 02, 2016, 08:29 AM
BELLINGHAM,WASHINGTON
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
Oh, almost forgot. Always store the pipette with ca, with the "bulb" portion on bottom and the tip pointing upward, that way the glue won't set up in the tip the MAJORITY of the time.

Also, I "slightly" rap the bottom of the bulb on table surface as I am setting it back into a small plastic open face bowl I keep them in. This aids in the ca of migrating back into the bulb itself and not clinging on the pipette tube walls.
Last edited by RACE 66; Jun 02, 2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: further info
Old Jun 02, 2016, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
2,919 Posts
Quote:
Also, I "slightly" rap the bottom of the bulb on table surface as I am setting it back into a small plastic open face bowl I keep them in. This aids in the ca of migrating back into the bulb itself and not clinging on the pipette tube walls.
A word of caution. I do the same "tap" thing to CA bottles with my home-made thin tips. A couple of years ago I did it and felt something hit my face. I touched it and it was a small drop of CA.

The tip had flung it in my face when I tapped the bottle. I always wondered what would have happened that day if it had hit my eye instead of my lower cheek.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Jun 02, 2016, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by CC268
Joined Aug 2011
2,303 Posts
Where did you find both sizes on Amazon? I only see the middle size?
Old Jun 04, 2016, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by planeman
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,911 Posts
The very best fine applicator tips for thin CA (cyanoacrylate) glue are needles from medical syringes. These needles have a plastic tapered base that pushes on these syringes and that tapered plastic base fits perfectly on most large thin CA bottles. I use a small cut-off disk on a Dremel tool to cut the pointed tip off. Yes, these needles will clog. No problem. Just hold the flame of a butane cigarette lighter under the needle tip for about one second and the tip will clear. Be aware that these needles come in various diameters. I use a very thin one, but you can choose something larger. And while I am at it, the best way to keep thin CA glue for a very long time is to put it in a glass jar with a screw-on cap. I use a large jelly jar. Also, put into that jar a package of desiccant (silica gel) which is very cheap and you can buy it online. Mine comes in an aluminum container which has a dot on it that turns red when the silica gel is saturated with moisture. Just place the silica gel in an oven at a temperature slightly above 212 degrees to drive the moisture out and the package is ready to be reused. Understand that moisture is the catalyst that sets off the CA chemical reaction. Remove all moisture in the air and CA will last for a long time just sitting on your bench in the jar, My present bottle is about four or five years old now and always sits in the back of my workbench.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman