Old May 08, 2016, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by chevyv8
Joined Apr 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
Lipo is warm with 5 min of time

I am new to rc planes and lipos. My wife bought me an airfield 1450mm p51 last year for Christmas. I flew it once and realized I need a trainer first. Prior to the flight I charged the lipo it came with. Flew it for a few minutes and stored the plane and the battery. Having not done anything else to the battery. I pulled the plane out the other day, charged the battery and started checking things over. I had the plane in my yard with the tail blocked and spun the motor to full rpm a couple times. Plane was in power for about 3 minutes total. Plane was powered on for about 5. I opened the canopy and immediately felt some heat in the battery/reciever compartment. The battery was warm but not hot. I did not take a temp reading.
Should I be concerned, should I do something different.
chevyv8 is offline Find More Posts by chevyv8
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2016, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by Wintr
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
2,666 Posts
Captive like that, you didn't get much cooling air through the battery compartment, and the battery generates heat, so will warm with use. BTW, you should get a cell checker to test the battery; it should be stored between flights at about 3.8-3.9V. Higher or lower Voltages, long term, will slowly degrade the battery.
Wintr is online now Find More Posts by Wintr
Old May 10, 2016, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by Mike_Then
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
8,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
Captive like that, you didn't get much cooling air through the battery compartment, and the battery generates heat, so will warm with use. BTW, you should get a cell checker to test the battery; it should be stored between flights at about 3.8-3.9V. Higher or lower Voltages, long term, will slowly degrade the battery.
Exactly. You had no airflow moving over the battery, hence the higher temperatures. Also, if you were throttling up the plane full blast for a few minutes, you were asking the battery to produce a lot more power than it does in flight. Most people don't fly full throttle for the entire duration of the flight; throttle management is an important part of electric aviation.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F-14 resurrection
Old May 10, 2016, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
13,244 Posts
What Wintr and Mike mentioned - and to be certain of what is going on, you should buy a wattmeter. If your full throttle current draw is too close to the lipo's capacity x C rating, you're pushing the lipo too hard.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 10, 2016, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
6,453 Posts
Still, for not flying and just being warm to the touch you were okay. Luckily. In general, don't run your motors full throttle for more than a few seconds. Even on systems properly balanced, that can cause red hot stuff to come out of motors and batteries. The red stuff consumes your plane and causes pain when you touch it. Avoid!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old May 10, 2016, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Joined Jan 2012
13,244 Posts
I've run my motors full throttle for a whole minute while on the ground - nothing happens to them. Motors will only fry if they're overamped.
Old May 10, 2016, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by Birds
Joined Mar 2016
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
I've run my motors full throttle for a whole minute while on the ground - nothing happens to them. Motors will only fry if they're overamped.
Why would one do this.??
Birds is online now Find More Posts by Birds
Old May 10, 2016, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Joined Jan 2012
13,244 Posts
Run down my lipos when I wasn't able to fly.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
6,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
Try it with a Radian, where the motor is surrounded by foam. Believe me, you can fry a motor that is not overamped if you don't have the airflow that normally cools it.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old May 13, 2016, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Joined Jan 2012
13,244 Posts
It won't fry as long as it isn't overamped - the airflow isn't what keeps a motor from getting fried - it helps cool it a bit but that is more useful toward us being able to touch the motors after flying than saving a motor from getting fried.
Old May 14, 2016, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
3,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
you were asking the battery to produce a lot more power than it does in flight. Most people don't fly full throttle for the entire duration of the flight;.
And in the situation where it draws the most current. Current draw can vary hugely with airspeed. For example my calmato draws about 50 amps static. Maybe a little more.

But full throttle in level flight it will drop down under 20 amps. Shallow dive can get it down into the 15 amp range.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old May 15, 2016, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,843 Posts
I have several planes that I frequently fly full throttle for the entire flight, it depends on the style of plane.

I would thoroughly test a battery that was stored for a year at an unknown state of charge. LiPos don't appreciate being stored over or under charged.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S